Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you react to heterosexuals who are anti-homosexual?
I usually agree with them 25 19.08%
I usually disagree with them 88 67.18%
I'm neutral on the subject 18 13.74%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 08:34 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,430,621 times

Advertisements

The same needs to be asked why all the hatred for religious people and Conservatives. Gays spew some of the most hatred around when it comes to those 2 subjects.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:36 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,745,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
I think people should be free to hold any opinion they want. I think also that in Western society, homophobia (along with lookism, anti-fat beliefs, etc.) are some of the last acceptable prejudices.

Gay people, IMO, should be lucky they live in a society that grants them equal civil rights. Most societies in the world are not progressive or liberal in their attitudes. Such a thing only exists in the West since modern Western society is built on liberalism and relativity.
Well, see, that's part of the problem. In many areas of this country they AREN'T 'granted equal rights'. For instance, what can you call 'equal' about a state that allows gays and lesbians to be foster parents, but won't allow them to adopt the children they look after, sometimes for most of the child's life? What can you call 'equal' about even my own state of Nevada that allows a hetero couple to come to town, get a marriage license and be married, all within less than 24 hours, but won't allow a gay couple to get married at all? Those are just two of the many examples of inequality in this country and it sickens me.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:37 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,606,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
And just what would those 'risk factors' be? The biggest 'risk' to being gay would probably be in acknowledging that they are gay - especially around people like you who see 'no problem' with gay bashing. I get the feeling you also see 'no problem' with the bullying that has, just in the last month, caused several young men to commit suicide.
Besides the immorality of it, and the risk to their souls, there are health factors and emotional factors associated with it.

Fact of the matter is, HIV runs the highest rate among gay men. That's just the way it is, and I'm sorry if you think it's hateful to point out the truth.

And just so you don't think I'm singling out gay people, I'll tell the same thing to any straight guy engaging in like behavior with a woman he's not married to.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:39 AM

37,070 posts, read 19,043,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I understand that conversations about sexuality can provoke strong reactions, but I can't understand why some people are so strongly anti-gay that they need to make negative comments whenever the subject comes up. I can't see anything good about being anti-gay.
I wish you had included a choice in the poll reading " I think they are nervous and possibly confused about their own sexual orientation".

Old 10-05-2010, 08:41 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,606,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I wish you had included a choice in the poll reading " I think they are nervous and possibly confused about their own sexual orientation".
That's big of you to admit your fears.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:43 AM

37,070 posts, read 19,043,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
That's big of you to admit your fears.
Thanks, Sugar. Wish I could give you a big sloppy kiss to show my appreciation.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:47 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,745,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
I dont me being black has any bearing whether or not any one else is going to be discriminated against. I just dont really see this anti gay stuff everyone is talking about. People act like its a marine barracks in the 1965
So because you don't see it, it doesn't exist? Is that really what you're trying to say? Do you pay any attention to national news? There have been 6 young men (between 13 & 19) who have killed themselves in the last month over the bullying they endure! Are you trying to say that mistreatment of gays doesn't exist? If you don't see it, you are either blind or have your head buried so deep in the sand that you probably can't see the sunshine, either.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:48 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,440,457 times
Quote:
This is what I don't get, if your sexuality is not supposed to be worn on your sleeve, how are gays facing all of this so called "oppression".

My guess, is people are simply tired of people wearing their sexuality on their sleeve and throwing it in their face, whether gay or strait. I think a lot of "discrimination" could be avoided, if people simply went to work and kept their sexual identity in the bedroom where it belongs.
It's not gays who face discrimination, it's people who are perceived as gay. In other words, any men that are a bit effeminate, women that are a bit more masculine, anyone who is androgynous, or not as rigidly gender-defined as most people. These are the people who get discriminated against, not because they are "wearing their sexuality on their sleeve" but because people see them and think "gay" and then project their hatred on them. Some people who are perceived as gay are gay, and some aren't. But the point is they're not broadcasting who they sleep with, people are just making ignorant assumptions based on associations they have between gender expression and homosexuality.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:52 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,440,457 times
Quote:
I just think gays need to tough it up and accept the fact that people may or not approve of their lifestyle.
I am black, half this messageboard of this alone would probably go off into stereotypes, off of that alone, but you gonna see me crying about it? Heck no. No time to worry about petty things that. Some people are going to like you for what you are, others are not, thats how life works.
I know plenty of black people who do "cry about it" and gay people who suck it up. Different people have different ways of coping. Some people complain and some don't. It's not a gay or black thing. It's an individual thing.

I agree, some people will like you and some won't. Something that makes being black different from being gay is that people get you were born that way. A lot of people still don't get that homosexuality isn't a choice. It changes the dynamic. Not to say one is worse than the other, but there are areas where the black-gay analogy fails, and that is one of them. To give an example of the difference in dynamic, I get discriminated against for being deaf and blind all the time, but people get that I can't change that about myself. They can't blame me for it and act like it's my fault I'm deaf and blind. But people do that with homosexuality. They blame gay people for being who they are. Like I said, it's a different dynamic.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:54 AM

624 posts, read 1,119,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
It's not gays who face discrimination, it's people who are perceived as gay. In other words, any men that are a bit effeminate, women that are a bit more masculine, anyone who is androgynous, or not as rigidly gender-defined as most people. These are the people who get discriminated against, not because they are "wearing their sexuality on their sleeve" but because people see them and think "gay" and then project their hatred on them. Some people who are perceived as gay are gay, and some aren't. But the point is they're not broadcasting who they sleep with, people are just making ignorant assumptions based on associations they have between gender expression and homosexuality.
That's not true! I know a lot of people somehow effeminate and no one discriminates them! Of course... when we were kids we made fun of those who were weaker but we didn't know what gay means until we were in high school! I don't think that an effeminate man is discriminated because he looks gay (actually he isn't even discriminate... discrimination is something different) but because he is weak! It's natural! We can't accommodate what nature didn't wanted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies