Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 09:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Child only policies are gone. Student policies are gone.They are being "forced" into something else.
What do you call these?

Wardenburg Health Center » Student Gold Health Insurance (http://healthcenter.colorado.edu/insurance/student-gold-for-2010-11/ - broken link)
Student Health Insurance Program at the University of Northern Colorado
Insurance - CSU Health Network Care for Body and Mind (http://health.colostate.edu/Insurance/Index.cfm - broken link)
Metro State Insurance Plans | Health Insurance | Health Center at Auraria

No one should believe all the "horror stories" out there in the media. The reports of the death of college plans have been greatly exaggerated!

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 10-04-2010 at 10:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 10:12 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
The only one's "forced" into "Obamacare" are 10 Million Americans...3.3% of the population that could afford insurance but decided to free load off others by using the ER has their personal doctor's office. Passing the costs on to us when they skip out on their bills. I don't care about their plight.
This is where your mistake is, they couldn't afford insurance before. What makes you think they can afford it now just becsue it's law? More importantly this law doesn't address costs and they could go up, what makes you think they can afford insurance that is going to cost more than the insurance they couldn't afford before?

You can't take blood from a stone and in there is no teeth to the mandate....

Old 10-04-2010, 10:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What do you call these?

Wardenburg Health Center » Student Gold Health Insurance (http://healthcenter.colorado.edu/insurance/student-gold-for-2010-11/ - broken link)
Student Health Insurance Program at the University of Northern Colorado
Insurance - CSU Health Network Care for Body and Mind (http://health.colostate.edu/Insurance/Index.cfm - broken link)
Metro State Insurance Plans | Health Insurance | Health Center at Auraria

No one should believe all the "horror stories" out there in the media.
There is a new minimum under Obamacare.
Schools are seeking exemptions.

ObamaCare Threatens College Health Plans - Megan McArdle - Business - The Atlantic

Old 10-04-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There is a new minimum under Obamacare.
Schools are seeking exemptions.

ObamaCare Threatens College Health Plans - Megan McArdle - Business - The Atlantic
Yeah, there was a whole thread about this. It looks like the reports of the death of these college plans was greatly exaggerated. I guess they either got their exemptions, or they learned how to play by the new rules. Shocking, I know, but these ins. companies don't want to lose the student business, either.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
We are in many ways a captive audience for electricity, and in similar vein have been with health care.
I don;t think it's similar at all, it's impractical to have multiple utilities and would not be conducive to lower rates but instead drive them up because of the massive infrastructure required. The insurance companies on the other hand have a monopoly because of the government for no reason at all.

Quote:
As for what coalman said--- Doctors who are in it for the bling tend not to be good doctors. Nobody cares much for sadistic dentists either.
That may be true of some but let's face it, when you're choosing a career how much you're going to make is going to priority for almost everyone.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That may be true of some but let's face it, when you're choosing a career how much you're going to make is going to priority for almost everyone.
Many PhDs go to school just as long, don't make as much.

Many other health professionals deal with the life/death stuff, don't make as much.

I don't think it's the big issue some make it out to be.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:28 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times
Quote:
This is where your mistake is, they couldn't afford insurance before. What makes you think they can afford it now just becsue it's law? More importantly this law doesn't address costs and they could go up, what makes you think they can afford insurance that is going to cost more than the insurance they couldn't afford before?

You can't take blood from a stone and in there is no teeth to the mandate....
Why don't you learn about the bill before spouting off?

The insurance premiums are lowered for lower incomes, totally free for the indigent.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:35 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
I don;t think it's similar at all, it's impractical to have multiple utilities and would not be conducive to lower rates but instead drive them up because of the massive infrastructure required. The insurance companies on the other hand have a monopoly because of the government for no reason at all.
HA! Monopoly! Definitely need to get rid of that, don't we? Any side of the aisle defending monopoly isn't fit for office.

Quote:
That being the case the noble professions like teaching would have gone empty since the 80's paradigm "what's in it for me?". I'm grateful for the teachers I've had and not many of them were paid well or appreciated. I appreciate them and have a love of learning that's lasted a lifetime. Underpay doctors too much I can see your point. It would be the same for teachers, and cops, and firemen. I do recall one horrible math teacher I had. He left mid school year to become an accountant. He really wasn't cut out for the job and struck me as someone who hated children. Thanks to the new teacher I did a complete turnaround in that subject but the way folks insult them with 'those that can do, those that can't teach'-- too bad they didn't have an accountant teaching them.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:56 PM

27,142 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
Companies are dropping their coverage and just offering employees "flex dollars" to be used to put toward their own private plans. This is better because single and young people are not forced into health plans that cover services that they never use.

Not yet, but it's coming....soon.

I fully expect my company to drop any coverage for us and pay the fine to the government instead.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
The insurance premiums are lowered for lower incomes, totally free for the indigent.
...driving up the rates for others creating yet more people that can't afford it. Who pays the bill when there is no one left that can afford it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies