Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 08:19 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Poverty in America means no cell phone.

Actually, you get a phone with 200 free minutes added on each month if you are on welfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 08:20 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
Click on the link below to read the article about more Americans dying from poverty than terrorism.

More Americans Die of Poverty than Terrorism | Poverty in America | Change.org
They should get jobs.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:35 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
To be honest, I would be more impressed with the Presidents wife, if she would get off the obesity trip and go down the path of hunger in America. That is the path that will open more eyes to the ever growing populations in America the 'wealthiest', third world country.

There are people right in our own neighborhoods, living virtually right next door who go to bed hungry and all people can say is, "I do not see how that is possible".
She'd look foolish then. More people are dying of obesity related conditions than starvation. The only children who die of starvation have parents who lock them up in closets or take all the food stamps for themselves. Parents who abuse and neglect their children and of course anoerexics - you'll find more starvation among models and Hollywood bimbos than in the lower classes.

The amount of food that the typical food stamp card can purchase is downright ridiculous especially when you add in WIC, free meals at schools and headstarts.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:19 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
She'd look foolish then. More people are dying of obesity related conditions than starvation. The only children who die of starvation have parents who lock them up in closets or take all the food stamps for themselves. Parents who abuse and neglect their children and of course anoerexics - you'll find more starvation among models and Hollywood bimbos than in the lower classes.

The amount of food that the typical food stamp card can purchase is downright ridiculous especially when you add in WIC, free meals at schools and headstarts.
Do we have the number of people that are not on those programs but face poverty conditions? There is a difference between the 'effects' of poverty and starvation. Going without food is one, yes, but what are the other conditions a person faces when they haven't the money to deal in this day and time. (consult the article I linked to, to find out more)

Can a person really die from embarrassment?

I'm not a big fan of 'entitlement' programs. However, when faced with the harsh social stigma, help has to come from some where, when the judgment of others promotes ill will towards those who are the 'have nots' in society, no one will help them.

The plastic card that is used today was implemented because it was recognized that, more folks were doing without rather than face the ridicule of others at the check out counters. Rather than get those looks from others standing in line around them, when they paid with the 'funny money', they did without and would not apply for assistance. It was decided a design much like that of a credit card might help with that situation and save face. The government just might reach the poverty cases that were hiding themselves in our country if they changed the presentation at the check out counters so those around would not be able to see right off how the goods were being purchased.

How does a person over come the mindset of the social class that it is 'their fault' they are in their 'have not' situation? When neighbors, family and friends bail, because they believe that it is drug use, or alcohol, or ignorance that has brought the ones they seem to know, to a bad place within their lives, who is it then that will help and not sit in judgment.

Whoppie Goldberg has a book recently published in which she titled, "Is it Just Me". I'm hoping to be able to get a copy of that book, because some how, I don't think it is just her and it will be reading that I too, will be able to relate.

Bad things do happen to good people. Society seems to place such huge pressures on people, its just not funny any more. I firmly believe a person just does not get it, until they experience it for themselves and the rose colored glasses come off.

PS: No I am not impressed with the first lady's choice.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 10-08-2010 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: ps

Old 10-08-2010, 01:22 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,846,025 times
According to Pelosi , Food stamps creates jobs so with the amount of people we have on food stamps should we really have this high of unemployment?

Old 10-08-2010, 01:22 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,886 times
I was diagnosed with poverty a few years back. The Doctors put me in a new treatment called hard work. At first, I thought it was getting worse, but after spending a little time with the treatment, I began to get better. Fortunately, in most cases poverty is no more fatal than a very similar condition generally referred to as "living"

Old 10-08-2010, 01:55 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,741,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
What is the number of American volunteers since say, 2001? The growth is there, this is true. The growth is there, because the need is there, as well. So, not only church charity but through government based organizations as well.

There is also as you say, food for children at the schools, however, there are still those who will not disclose their situation to others and will go without. I wonder why that is? Actually I don't wonder.

Based on my observation people do not know, what they have yet to experience for themselves.

Food pantries and hunger in New Jersey | NJ.com

If you have a way to pull up archive news, find the articles of news that began to circulate in 2003 on food pantry's in crisis.

What this thread has done for me, it has made me an advocate for, not against, service learning brought into the education curriculum of our young people.

I guess there is something to be said for, rose colored glasses.

When was the last time people got out and talked to the local charities within their area, so as to get a real world observation? Yea, that is what I thought.
I think you nailed it when you said people are 'fearful' this could happen to them so they ignore & pretend it does not exist.

Here in Phoenix our food banks are tapped out because they have seen so many more people who have either lost their jobs or have to work for much lower wages just to pay the rent. Many of these folks Are working & trying to do their best just to survive & feed their kids.

Most people do not go out of their own comfort zone & visit these food banks. Also many here have been denied welfare benifits because the state of AZ is broke. For instance many medical benifits have been cut due to lack of funds.
Do some people believe this is happening because more people have suddenly gotten lazy or are they in denial about the condition this country is in?
Some of the smarta** comments on here break my heart.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:00 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
I think you nailed it when you said people are 'fearful' this could happen to them so they ignore & pretend it does not exist.

Here in Phoenix our food banks are tapped out because they have seen so many more people who have either lost their jobs or have to work for much lower wages just to pay the rent. Many of these folks Are working & trying to do their best just to survive & feed their kids.

Most people do not go out of their own comfort zone & visit these food banks. Also many here have been denied welfare benifits because the state of AZ is broke. For instance many medical benifits have been cut due to lack of funds.
Do some people believe this is happening because more people have suddenly gotten lazy or are they in denial about the condition this country is in?
Some of the smarta** comments on here break my heart.
If Arizona was allowed to kick the illegals out then it might free up some jobs for Americans. It's worth a shot anyway.

Funny, the exact same people saying they care about poor people in this country made sure that didn't happen.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:51 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,107,720 times
You can't possibly believe that crap. My family and friends can tell you otherwise. As if things weren't bad before, Cubans now get two weeks of rations per month. People resort to stealing, buying on the black market, growing things illegally or worse. Free school lunch is no longer available and most parents can't pack much more than a hard boiled egg. Beef is not available and some chicken and pork are the only meats but are very expensive. They may not be starving but they are hungry and not well nourished. There are two currencies, one for Cubans and one for everyone else and both shop in different stores. An American can't buy food for a Cuban relative since the neighborhood snitch will check your bags. What is available to foreigners isn't available to Cubans so foreigners go over there and think it's great.

Your posts are ridiculous. I wish you could live in Cuba (as a Cuban) for a while then maybe we wouldn't be subjected to your misguided beliefs.

What's Happening in Cuba

(sorry for getting off topic)

Old 10-08-2010, 10:06 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the problem is there are no "real" poor in the usa...if you make inder 20k(the poverty level) you will get welfare, food stamps, etc...you even qualify for many of these items up to about 40k or more.

if ANYBODY is starving in the USA , then it is absolutly their own fault, because this country does take care of its poor.

we are good at taking care of the poor, the rich take care of themselves..its the middleclass that constantly get screwed, and more so from the liberals that want to constantly kill the middleclass with taxes

Would you tell a child its their own fault for starving? A lot of people in poverty are children.
Idk,I just read a thread on here about lowering the minimum wage and that employers should set wages. Dying from poverty could mean the middle class person who doesn't have health insurance who has stage 4 cancer but can't get treates due to lack of health insurance and money to cover it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies