Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 09:53 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,859,083 times

Advertisements

A new show is being produced ala Jersey Shore called Redneck Riviera. They are calling it a reality show. But how realistic is it if their cast call advertising reads:

"According to the show's Web site, producers are looking for native southerners whose idea of a perfect vacation includes "Miller beer by the case, partying and dancing the night away ... while spending the day on the beach with a cold one in your hand and watching bikini bull-riding contests."

"Do you drink sweet tea, talk endlessly about NASCAR, sport a rebel flag (on your bikini or jacked-up pickup truck), listen to loud country and/or Southern rock, or enjoy walking around shirtless or in daisy dukes?" the Web site asks. "Do you consider 'liberal' a dirty word?" "

I don't understand why perpetuating a negative stereotype is considered entertainment.

Alabama Town Says No Thanks to 'Redneck Riviera' - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 09:59 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,643 times
Because the left wing medias juvenile idea of entertainment is making fun of people that are not like them.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:05 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,520,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
A new show is being produced ala Jersey Shore called Redneck Riviera. They are calling it a reality show. But how realistic is it if their cast call advertising reads:

"According to the show's Web site, producers are looking for native southerners whose idea of a perfect vacation includes "Miller beer by the case, partying and dancing the night away ... while spending the day on the beach with a cold one in your hand and watching bikini bull-riding contests."

"Do you drink sweet tea, talk endlessly about NASCAR, sport a rebel flag (on your bikini or jacked-up pickup truck), listen to loud country and/or Southern rock, or enjoy walking around shirtless or in daisy dukes?" the Web site asks. "Do you consider 'liberal' a dirty word?" "

I don't understand why perpetuating a negative stereotype is considered entertainment.

apparently, the town doesn't see the humor in it either.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:25 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,469,405 times
new jersey itself is just a bunch of red neck New York wannabe's, who can even get reality TV correct

Old 10-05-2010, 10:38 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,615,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Because the left wing medias juvenile idea of entertainment is making fun of people that are not like them.
Bummer, isn't it? I live in California and we seem to be the default for 'making fun of people'.

I don't feel sorry for you or the south one little iota. Have fun with your 'reality' show.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:51 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,859,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Bummer, isn't it? I live in California and we seem to be the default for 'making fun of people'.

I don't feel sorry for you or the south one little iota. Have fun with your 'reality' show.
It's a matter of perspective. I don't think California-bashing is anywhere near as bad as South-bashing. But I don't bear the brunt of the California-bashing. I do get slammed for living in the South though, and it seems to me that California-bashing tends to be locale-specific, and relatively easy to rebut. South-bashing involves a large region, and South-bashing is widely considered acceptable by the rest of the country.

With any luck, this "reality" show won't ever reach the airwaves.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:04 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,389,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
new jersey itself is just a bunch of red neck New York wannabe's, who can even get reality TV correct
Actually, the "Jersey Shore" mentality is perpetuated and created mostly by people from Lawn Guyland and the City who come down to the Southern Jersey shore to cause a scene. It is not an indigenous culture. They are universally despised by people who live in Southern Jersey.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:05 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,520,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post

you gotta be kidding.

the 'making fun of' levels in california vs. the south are not even in the same universe

and - you apparently didn't read the link very carefully; the 'reality' show ain't happening.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:08 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post

Because it is tribal. Our group likes to point to that group and say, look how great we are and how unsophisticated they are. Us and them, simple as that. One human quality that reoccurs with great frequency is the inability to admit fault and accept blame, and understandably as who wants to be seen as wrong. Far more easy to externalize blame and fault.

Beyond that, I enjoy partaking in the regional stereotyping that is so prevalent these days. The stereotypical dumb moonshine hillbilly running barefooted around the still, family tree that resembles a stalk of celery, porch collapse that kills 11 hound dogs, etc... I see this nearly ever day as folks from more urban areas seek out these rural places and often become lost and have to stop to ask for directions from the scary backwoods hillfolk. I then whip out the Droid on the porch, push print, and hand them directions they should have had in the first place, all while wearing my overalls. Now if you would excuse me, I believe I'll have a plastic Jimmy Johnson cup full of Chateau De Trailor Parc, (june vintage) :-)

Old 10-05-2010, 11:13 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,615,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
you gotta be kidding.

the 'making fun of' levels in california vs. the south are not even in the same universe

and - you apparently didn't read the link very carefully; the 'reality' show ain't happening.
Depends on where you live. If you live in the South, obviously you're going to notice it more. If you live in California, you notice it more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies