Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 02:59 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Well, it is the 'American way,' doncha know. We reserve the right to underpay, overwork, discriminate against, abuse whomever we see fit in the name of free enterprise.
If someone is willing to pay for some poor, sick puppy that has never seen daylight nor been attended to by a vet and has spent its entire life in a crate in someone's barn, shed or trailer without proper food or water that will most likely end up in a shelter only to be euthanised due to illness or behavior issues, who are we to stop them? Seriously.
The ASPCA is doing a very good job, along with local animal rescue organizations, of trying to educate people to adopt shelter animals rather than frequenting pet stores or those who place classified ads in the paper/Craigslist. The education is behind the curve in catching up with the problem of overpopulation and puppy mills.

Your comments are not only sacastic and insulting to people who love animals but they are empty as they offer no solution. You don't even live in Missouri.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:01 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The ASPCA is doing a very good job, along with local animal rescue organizations, of trying to educate people to adopt shelter animals rather than frequenting pet stores or those who place classified ads in the paper/Craigslist. The education is behind the curve in catching up with the problem.

Your comments are not only sacastic and insulting to people who love animals but they are empty as they offer no solution.
As well as no substance!
To make stupid broad generalizations that the teapartiers "don't like animals" or are helping puppy mills abuse animals is beyond juvenile. But I guess we shouldn't be surprised.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:03 PM

2,564 posts, read 1,595,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
It is all a hoax. The radicals in the Obama administration had thrown around the idea of making owning pets illegal. This whole thing stinks of Sunstein, it is a "nudge" to make owning a dog more expensive so you don't get one.
Do you have proof of "hoax"?

Old 10-05-2010, 03:04 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Everything you mentioned has a law that forbids that type of action. So what you are saying is that our law enforcers aren't doing their jobs?
It does indeed sound like that is the case, and it isn't me saying it:

"According to an internal government report, many dogs in USDA-licensed commercial breeding facilities are living in horrific conditions, and some are needlessly dying, due to lax government enforcement of the Animal Welfare Act.
These government investigators have concluded that the USDA agency in charge of enforcing the law often ignores repeat violations, waives penalties, and fails to properly document the inhumane treatment of dogs."

Puppy Mills - Missouri's Puppy Mill Problem (http://www.maal.org/Puppy-Mills.asp - broken link)

Sounds suspiciously like the results of the reports on mine inspections and oil drill inspections and egg plant inspections and, oh, I could so go on. It almost seems like a systemic problem.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
As well as no substance!
To make stupid broad generalizations that the teapartiers "don't like animals" or are helping puppy mills abuse animals is beyond juvenile. But I guess we shouldn't be surprised.
Usually the uglier people get in pushing through legislation, especially animal or environmentally specific, the more the backlash. This kind of behavior usually results in a backlash against the very cause being promoted.

Like I stated: dogs rock, liberals don't.

I've been on the fence on this legislation and which way to cast my ballot. I still have not made up my mind despite studying the current and proposed statues. However, the hate being spewed by the activists on CD and in the local news have just about pushed me toward working to defeat the legislation instead. Nice job progressives!

Old 10-05-2010, 03:06 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,197 times
Quote:
Usually the uglier people get in pushing through legislation, especially animal or environmentally specific, the more the backlash. This kind of behavior usually results in a backlash against the very cause being promoted.

Like I stated: dogs rock, liberals don't.
Oh, I like it; dogs rock liberals don't I might have to steal that one lo!

Old 10-05-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
It does indeed sound like that is the case, and it isn't me saying it:

"According to an internal government report, many dogs in USDA-licensed commercial breeding facilities are living in horrific conditions, and some are needlessly dying, due to lax government enforcement of the Animal Welfare Act.
These government investigators have concluded that the USDA agency in charge of enforcing the law often ignores repeat violations, waives penalties, and fails to properly document the inhumane treatment of dogs."

Puppy Mills - Missouri's Puppy Mill Problem (http://www.maal.org/Puppy-Mills.asp - broken link)

Sounds suspiciously like the results of the reports on mine inspections and oil drill inspections and egg plant inspections and, oh, I could so go on. It almost seems like a systemic problem.
A systemic enforcement problem specifically of passing legislation without the funding or manpower to enforce regulations available. Big government is not the answer; it breeds corruption worse than puppy mills breed unwanted animals! Figure it out.

Good people, attentive neighbors being the front line for law enforcement, rescue organizations, education, and veterinarians united in advising the owners bringing in animals for care, are the answer. "Feel good" legislation is not.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:16 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,972 times
Quote:
A systemic enforcement problem specifically of passing legislation without the funding or manpower to enforce regulations available. Big government is not the answer; it breeds corruption worse than puppy mills breed unwanted animals! Figure it out.

Good people, attentive neighbors being the front line for law enforcement, rescue organizations, education, and veterinarians united in advising the owners bringing in animals for care, are the answer. "Feel good" legislation is not.
How's that working for the meth labs in Missouri?

Old 10-05-2010, 03:20 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
i've given money in the past to the HSUS, thinking they were a very reasonable alternative to the PETA nuts. this tea party group seems to be mostly upset with the HSUS head, wayne pacelle, who apparently is pretty far-out:

Quote:
"We are going to use the ballot box and the democratic process to stop all hunting in the United States… We will take it species by species until all hunting is stopped in California. Then we will take it state by state." – Wayne Pacelle, quoted in an interview published in the magazine Full Cry, October 1990.
maybe he's changed in 20 years? dunno. i've never heard his name before..

Old 10-05-2010, 03:23 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
The ASPCA is doing a very good job, along with local animal rescue organizations, of trying to educate people to adopt shelter animals rather than frequenting pet stores or those who place classified ads in the paper/Craigslist. The education is behind the curve in catching up with the problem of overpopulation and puppy mills.

Your comments are not only sacastic and insulting to people who love animals but they are empty as they offer no solution. You don't even live in Missouri.
I am well aware of the work of the ASPCA and also well aware of the plight of shelter animals. I adopted three.
I live in a city that euthanizes upwards of 20,000 dogs every year because people are selfish and refuse to get their animals spayed or neutered. The majority of those people are either backyard breeders themselves or they are buying at pet stores, off of Craig's List, etc. and clearly do not care about the conditions that puppy was 'raised' in. I know of what I speak.

People who do offer solutions, myself included, are criticized constantly by people like you who seem to think that the work of the ASPCA is enough.
We are criticized in much the same manner as those who have put this on your ballot - clearly these people do care about animals and all the nay-sayers can do is carry on about how it infringes on someone's right to conduct business. And you're right there on the front lines opposing it, so don't you dare tell me I am being insulting to people who love animals.

Far as I could tell, the point the OP was trying to make is that there are those who believe that the right to run one's business as one sees fit trumps all else, and I'm simply playing devil's advocate by offering all the reasons.
And, I probably don't have to remind you that we've heard them all before haven't we - from the likes of Rand Paul and Sarah Palin and all those folks that so many believe are our next best hope. I've simply winnowed them down to their essence. Funny how when they say it it is applause-worthy.
And yet, somehow when I say it, it's insulting? Really?
I think that a lot of people haven't really been listening to the message.

And, I'm sorry, but I didn't realize that this was now the Missouri forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies