Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 07:16 AM

239 posts, read 894,810 times

Advertisements

Wages are dropping all over America as employers are finding lots of hard working, talented and skilled workers who are willing to work for almost any salary under almost any conditions. Americans are desparate for any job.

Back in my home State of Minnesota many employers are advertising skilled jobs in administrative support for minimum wage and still getting tons of applicants. I suspect if the employer could find a way to pay less than minimum wage they would still get many willing workers. Things have got that tough out there.

Many Republicans have been talking about passing a law to drop the minimum wage to adjust to the new economic reality. I am not supporting such a move but they do have an argument.

What do you think about the economic and political realities of cutting the minimum wage so low skilled workers can be hired at competitive wages adusted to our global economy.

First Read - GOP candidates' remarks spur minimum wage debate-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 07:21 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
Well the Democrats want to keep the borders open and keep inviting in the whole world of cheap workers so in order for Americans to compete for jobs, there will have to be cuts in the minimum wage. Otherwise if you have a factory, why would you pay an American $7.50 when you could bring in "immigrants" who will work for $6.00? Plus it was a democrat who signed NAFTA which cost the USA millions of jobs and now Americans can't find work.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:31 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
I hope the Republicans publicize this economy saving measure before the election. Publicize this so we all know your plans. Wally World cannot afford to pay so we should give them a break. This is a great idea. I say go for it, Republicans. Help the economy put a bigger split between the unemployed and the Haves and Have Mores.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:34 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,469,405 times
WHY SHOULD THERE BE A MINIMUM WAGE

should wages not be set by the SKILLS, and QUALIFICATIONS of the individual person, and based on the COST OF LIVING in any peticular area

some areas of the country you can live like a king on $7 an hour...others you might need $25 just to get by.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:37 AM

239 posts, read 894,810 times
The Republicans would argue that by cutting the minimum wage employers could afford more workers and the economy would improve and more people would be hired. If they could hire the factory workers at $5.00 an hour then it would make economic sense to keep the factory in America, instead of closing it and moving it to Mexico. With today's job market I am sure they could get many workers at $5.00 an hour. With the minimum wage so high against the global standards and increasing needs to cut costs the employers can not afford to pay the workers so they don't expand or move operations overseas. (That would be their argument)

Old 10-06-2010, 07:50 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,821,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
Wages are dropping all over America as employers are finding lots of hard working, talented and skilled workers who are willing to work for almost any salary under almost any conditions. Americans are desparate for any job.

Back in my home State of Minnesota many employers are advertising skilled jobs in administrative support for minimum wage and still getting tons of applicants. I suspect if the employer could find a way to pay less than minimum wage they would still get many willing workers. Things have got that tough out there.

Many Republicans have been talking about passing a law to drop the minimum wage to adjust to the new economic reality. I am not supporting such a move but they do have an argument.

What do you think about the economic and political realities of cutting the minimum wage so low skilled workers can be hired at competitive wages adusted to our global economy.

First Read - GOP candidates' remarks spur minimum wage debate-
What are the minimum wages in China/India/Mexico...our economic competitors?

Old 10-06-2010, 07:51 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,148,202 times
I consider myself a Republican....but there are times even I can admit they are totally off the wall. This is one of them.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:56 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times
while many republicans may push for a reduction in the minimum wage law, it will never pass as the democrats in the senate would block the change, and i doubt there would be enough support in the house even to pass such a measure.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
If a company moves overseas to save on labor costs their products should pay a tariff to negate the savings as well as pay a fine for actions that harm American workers. This includes parts made overseas for assembly in the US.

We need Fair Trade not Looting the Workers Trade.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:55 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,568,901 times
Republicans are shameless. I wouldn't be surprised if they were ok with companies paying $5 bucks an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies