Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 06:02 PM

6,082 posts, read 6,014,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Informed, have you seen this yet?

"Wells Fargo & Company is paying $24 million to end an investigation by eight states into whether lenders acquired by the bank made risky mortgages to consumers without disclosing their perils.

The agreement includes no admission of wrongdoing by Wells Fargo."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 06:27 PM

88,644 posts, read 44,393,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Informed, have you seen this yet?

"Wells Fargo & Company is paying $24 million to end an investigation by eight states into whether lenders acquired by the bank made risky mortgages to consumers without disclosing their perils.

The agreement includes no admission of wrongdoing by Wells Fargo."
Yep. Many banks involved in this mess, as well as the GSEs. Fannie Mae even had a special program set up with Countrywide to make loans based on 'nontraditional credit.'
Quote:
Underwriting Standards
Countrywide tends to follow the most flexible underwriting criteria permitted under GSE and FHA guidelines. Because Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac tend to give their best lenders access to the most flexible underwriting criteria, Countrywide benefits from its status as one of the largest originators of mortgage loans and one of the largest participants in the GSE programs.
When necessary—in cases where applicants have no established credit history, for example—Countrywide uses nontraditional credit, a practice now accepted by the GSEs.
Case Study: Countrywide Home Loans, Inc.
published by Fannie Mae Foundation, 2000
http://content.knowledgeplex.org/kp2/programs/pdf/rep_newmortmkts_countrywide.pdf

The GSEs then proceeded to falsely claim the loans were prime when they securitized them and sold them off to investors such as 401k and pension funds, and foreign investors.
Origins of an American Kleptocracy | zero hedge

The level of fraud is colossal... trillions of dollars worth. And make no mistake, those at the highest levels of our financial system, the Federal Reserve, and the U.S. Government knew about it. Remember Sherman telling us the original panicked bailout was going to foreign investors to make them whole?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9gtf6nT3zg

And then once elected, instead of taking steps to clean up the mess, Obama names one of those at the very heart of the scam as Treasury Secretary where he immediately proceeds to try to continue to hide the scam from the American public.
Quote:
President-elect Barack Obama has selected New York Federal Reserve Bank President Timothy F. Geithner as Treasury secretary, handing the post to a primary architect of the Bush administration's response to the financial crisis, according to Democratic and industry officials yesterday.
Obama Picks N.Y. Fed President Geithner as Treasury Secretary - washingtonpost.com

Old 10-07-2010, 06:41 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,387,825 times
As long as i can remember back when i did real estate. There were so many bad loans given out even at that time, some were conisdred risky. But still yet, the damn banks went ahead and approved these high risk loans. To me the dumb ones, are the people who signed these loans, you know what it is that you can afford, and what you cannot afford. High credit risk couples were getting loans, i knew back then, there were so many shady dealings going on. But you cannot stop them. When a couple that filed bankruptcy got a loan, that astonishes you. There were a lot of bad loans given out, but in part also, those who sign on that dotted line, are also partly responsible.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:41 PM

Informed, if you remember from our previous conversations, I'm no defender of Larry the Fat Guy, Tiny Tim or any of the Rubinistas.

Those cats had a hand in creating the mess, so even though, in theory, they probably have the insider knowledge to pull us out of this mess, they haven't demonstrated the will.

Our systems are in dire need of reform, inadequate paradigms have to be replaced, a purging and/or retraining of personnel is in order, and our press has to very vigilante, skeptical, critical and in your face, if we are to get through this in one piece.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Informed, if you remember from our previous conversations, I'm no defender of Larry the Fat Guy, Tiny Tim or any of the Rubinistas.

Those cats had a hand in creating the mess, so even though, in theory, they probably have the insider knowledge to pull us out of this mess, they haven't demonstrated the will.
Exactly. So why did Obama keep them in powerful positions?

Quote:
Our systems are in dire need of reform, inadequate paradigms have to be replaced, a purging and/or retraining of personnel is in order, and our press has to very vigilante, skeptical, critical and in your face, if we are to get through this in one piece.
The MSM has dropped the ball on this, big time! IMHO, they're complicit in maintaining the scam. I wouldn't look to the MSM to champion any sort of reform. They've been too busy doing all they could to make Obama look good, 24/7. This scam gives MANY politicians on both sides a big black eye, and I'm not so sure the MSM is willing to throw Obama under the bus along with all the others. They'd have to admit they've been played for fools along with the majority of the American public. I doubt they'll go along with that.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:58 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,206,481 times
The corruption is so deep and so wide that I don't think it can be fixed.

Just look at how quick and quietly HR3808 made it to Obama's desk for signature.
Not a peep from the MSM. Nothing from Congress..not a peep, not a mention.

Not a single voting record from either the House or the Senate.

That's some clout the banks have to get that bill to Obama's desk.

Thanks to the independents (Zero Hedge, Financial Sense as some examples) this came out in the open and got traction.

I think if it hadn't Obama would have signed that bill into law.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Exactly. So why did Obama keep them in powerful positions?

The MSM has dropped the ball on this, big time! IMHO, they're complicit in maintaining the scam. I wouldn't look to the MSM to champion any sort of reform. They've been too busy doing all they could to make Obama look good, 24/7. This scam gives MANY politicians on both sides a big black eye, and I'm not so sure the MSM is willing to throw Obama under the bus along with all the others. They'd have to admit they've been played for fools along with the majority of the American public. I doubt they'll go along with that.
Well I'm just glad he put Liz Warren in an influential position and Dummers is gone.

And you have to remember the media now includes blogs such as those that appear on sites like HuffPo and many of them were not too happy about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The corruption is so deep and so wide that I don't think it can be fixed.

Just look at how quick and quietly HR3808 made it to Obama's desk for signature.
Not a peep from the MSM. Nothing from Congress..not a peep, not a mention.

Not a single voting record from either the House or the Senate.

That's some clout the banks have to get that bill to Obama's desk.

Thanks to the independents (Zero Hedge, Financial Sense as some examples) this came out in the open and got traction.

I think if it hadn't Obama would have signed that bill into law.
Jefferson knew the power of the press in staving of tyranny.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:24 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,577,071 times
The real problem tho is that the cases are likely to never endup in copurt . That is because that would require that mnay buyers be part of the fraud if they signed false disclosures. Plus the fact that it would tek years and be very hard to prove especially on RICO laws.Your more likely to see individual civil suits IMO.On Fanneie ands freddie its even les likely except aginst indivdauls with in it brought by the feds but there isn't much appitite for that really.I can remmeber when the TARP was proposed;it was sold to congress as having the second 350 billion to go to solving the housing crisis.not 50 billion; which is chump change considering the problem.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:40 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,101,779 times
Aside from the fraudulent loans...the banks are foreclosing on millions of homes without even looking at the modification paperwork. I work for a good hearted mortgage broker who insists on helping people put together their paperwork after hours (at no charge). I cant tell you how many times we have to send the same paperwork to the banks that claim they never received it. These poor people are strung along for a year or two submitting the same papers over and over while each bank representative tells them something different. It's so stressful for them. So far we haven't let anyone get foreclosed on but for many that may have tried doing this on their own, the end result was devastating. We've also had a few clients come to the office after they were scammed for two or three thousand by some sleazy mortgage people. The entire housing industry seems to be corrupt.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Well I'm just glad he put Liz Warren in an influential position...
What has Liz Warren done to reform the scam? It's not even a certainty she'll even get involved.
Daily Kos: Will Elizabeth Warren Enter The Foreclosure Fraud Fray?

Quote:
And you have to remember the media now includes blogs such as those that appear on sites like HuffPo and many of them were not too happy about this.
There's still too much political posturing getting in the way of real calls for reform on many of those sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies