U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 08:55 AM

1,897 posts, read 1,790,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
How old are you? This has been going on since forever.
bout to turn 34 in a couple weeks! horayyy! booo!!! but seriously, i had a hunch this kind of thing had been going on for a while, just wasn't sure...the guy made me think about it, so i thought i'de ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 10:51 AM

15,156 posts, read 7,594,360 times
it is nothing new for people to refer to any president by their last name only, usually when writing. this has been going on for quite sometime. when speaking however most people still use the office, then the last name, IE president obama, senator mccain, congressman frank, etc. when talking about anyone in elected office

Old 10-07-2010, 10:54 AM

2,437 posts, read 1,384,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Hussein Obama has never been, nor will he ever be, the President of the United States to me.

He's a Kenyan Communist piece of garbage.
Excellent

Old 10-07-2010, 11:01 AM

6,486 posts, read 3,187,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
got a quick question...

the other day a guy on facebook threw a little hissy fit because so many people were "disrespecting" President Barack Obama by not using the word "President" before his name...and simply calling him "Obama" was disrespectful no matter your affiliation/party.

he went on to ask when all this came about...is this a new thing, or has it been going on for a while?
I call him President Skippy because I honestly think he's an amateur that is being told what to do by someone else.

Having said that, I heard Bush called things much much worse than that.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:24 PM

22,236 posts, read 13,039,982 times
Every president is called something other than President __________. Truman was Truman. Eisenhower was IKE. Kennedy was JFK. Johnson was LBJ. (Everyone is his family was an LBJ.) Richard Nixon was Tricky Dick. People who LIKED him called him Dick Nixon. And on and on and on.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:30 PM

2,548 posts, read 3,565,201 times
I prefer to refer to him as BO since that's what he is.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:13 PM

949 posts, read 681,713 times
I usually refer to a living Presidents with the title. I think it shows respect for the office. I cease that distinction usually with deceased Presidents because I refer to their Presidency's as eras. However there are exceptions and I will occasionally apply the title to deceased Presidents, and remove it from living.
That is my own distinction and how I consciously show respect for the office. I can not and would not try to demand that someone show my form of respect. Respect wears to many coats to do that. Someone referring to a President with or with out the distinction, is that persons own decision.
I know no educated American that dose not respect the office regardless of the stated title or who hold the position. For a person to refer to a President with out the distinction has zero bearing. It dose not mean that their opinion has no weight, simply it means that we were raised in different households.
Whoever the person was on the Facebook would do well to learn that other people have different ideas about showing respect. I would also be concerned that a person would discount others based on this. In fact to demand this I would question the person and wonder if he wants the President to be afforded that much control over the American people.

Last edited by Dewmik; 10-07-2010 at 07:23 PM..

Old 10-07-2010, 07:25 PM

15,589 posts, read 13,285,762 times
Oh lord, if I had a dollar for every time I heard or read someone call former President Bush by his last name alone, I would be a millionaire.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:32 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,738,807 times
Well, let's see.... the other traitors...the other ones who spent their terms giving away our country to our enemies, we referred to as....
Clinton: That Thing in the Whitehouse
Bush: Barbara's Brat

This new one, I prefer to call: That thing reading off the Teleprompter.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:48 PM

1,499 posts, read 1,386,633 times
Obama...
Let's all try that together- OBAMA, OH-BAH- MAH... (remind anyone of OO-BLAH-DEE, OO-BLAH-DAHH? La-la how our life went on)

See how easily it rolls off of the tongue? Is it animal, vegetable or mineral? Perhaps it's the newest name for tabletized, time released panacea, like PAXIL or VICODEN.
Hell, just what IS in a name? If we received a visitor from space, wouldn't Obama be so much easier explained as a force, much like inertia or gravity, having one lone
descriptive title, Obama? Most people are into "one word fits all" titles, stars and personalities like Elvis, Cher, Sting or even that nasty guy Cheney (no, not Lon).
These titles or monikers are one word-ers for impact, added value is measured by brevity in this the texting age. Why laugh out loud when you can ROFLMAO?
I'm an old man now, but shucks, I still call Snoop-Dogg, Snoop, I mean, how can you hope to be kewl or trendy if you have to add the fruit salad of a full title, when in
this day there's a simple, one word fits all, totally encompassing,- OBAMA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies