Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If a drug is expiring in 3 hours to terminate a death row inmate
Use 5x the amount necessary to kill him - or more 9 37.50%
Use another method to kill him 9 37.50%
Wait until you acquire a fresh supply of the drug to kill him 1 4.17%
Commute his sentence to life in prison - the death penalty should be outlawed 5 20.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 12:23 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,273 times

Advertisements

This was clearly political, the judge was making a statement, expressing his feelings about the death penalty. they had time to execute him, but he delayed it so that the drugs would expire.

Regardless of your feeling about the death penalty, this is unfair to the victim and her family. In the 70s, this man was given the maximum penalty for his crime, and here we are 30 years later and that sentence has not been fulfilled. She was raped, then murdered, he was sentenced and his sentence has not been carried out. This is not justice, by any means.

I voted that he should be executed by another method, of course, that will never happen because of lawyers and the BS associated with them. I honestly think that a firing squad is the most humane, a single bullet, well placed will bring an instant, virtually painless death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 12:27 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,842,872 times
I saw Valkyrie the other night. They hanged some of the conspirators with wire.
I wouldn't lose any sleep over that.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:26 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
This was clearly political, the judge was making a statement, expressing his feelings about the death penalty. they had time to execute him, but he delayed it so that the drugs would expire.

Regardless of your feeling about the death penalty, this is unfair to the victim and her family. In the 70s, this man was given the maximum penalty for his crime, and here we are 30 years later and that sentence has not been fulfilled. She was raped, then murdered, he was sentenced and his sentence has not been carried out. This is not justice, by any means.

I voted that he should be executed by another method, of course, that will never happen because of lawyers and the BS associated with them. I honestly think that a firing squad is the most humane, a single bullet, well placed will bring an instant, virtually painless death.
That's why I'd like to volunteer. It would be many bullets placed in many painful places before I finally centered one in his head. Better yet, let the girl's family finish him however they see fit.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:33 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Suppose they'd given him that and it didn't kill him. You're aware, aren't you, that they might not be able to legally subject him to it a second time. In other words, he could very well walk out a free man.

Or, suppose someone sued the state for violating the Consitutional prohibition against cruel and unusual punishment because of the ineffectiveness of the drug, which is probably a certainty. The resulting defense could cost the taxpayers millions, even if successful.

Given those possible scenarios, don't you think waiting a few more weeks is the right decision?

Old 10-08-2010, 10:05 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Lead never expires. Use a firing squad.
Rope doesn't expire either!!

Old 10-08-2010, 10:09 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
lol @ the one that voted to commute it. So they'd only commute it because the drug expired?
I also voted no and agree that the death penalty should be outlawed. No one has a right to take someones life except in self defense.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:16 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post

I also voted no and agree that the death penalty should be outlawed. No one has a right to take someones life except in self defense.
Especially the state.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:17 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,653,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Rope doesn't expire either!!
Electricity doesn't, either!

Old 10-09-2010, 02:20 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,571,721 times
Fry him!

Old 10-09-2010, 03:41 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Suppose they'd given him that and it didn't kill him. You're aware, aren't you, that they might not be able to legally subject him to it a second time. In other words, he could very well walk out a free man.

Or, suppose someone sued the state for violating the Consitutional prohibition against cruel and unusual punishment because of the ineffectiveness of the drug, which is probably a certainty. The resulting defense could cost the taxpayers millions, even if successful.

Given those possible scenarios, don't you think waiting a few more weeks is the right decision?
When you think about a drug like that expiring in the time frame of 3 hours... will all medicine/drugs lose its efficacy within 3 hours of the expiration date? isn't there some way to test the drug chemically before injecting the criminal to find out if it's potent or not? Or, couldn't someone from the California corrections department put in a phone call to the Ohio or Texas department of corrections and buy some a day or two before the execution if they knew it was expiring? They all buy the same stuff from the same manufacturer, I bet Texas and Ohio has enough juice to kill everyone on every death row in the country.

More poor planning in the state of California.

We can't do anything right in this state without some activist judge stepping in at the last minute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies