Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 03:50 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times

Advertisements

First off, I'm not just straight, I'm Damn straight. I have a difficult time comprehending how a man can look at another man and say "oh yea, that's sexy...". My opinion on homosexuals was: "do your dirty deeds behind closed doors, I don't care, but don't make me look at it or think about it or I'll puke up my whiskey.

So I was a little bit uppity when a openly gay man was moved next to me at work. But we talked, were open about the subject and I've learned a lot about the gay perspective from him.

Anyway, today he was upset because he suspected his boyfriend of cheating on him. It had never occurred to me, but my co-worker's relationship was not about dirty deeds in back rooms after all. He sought out and longed for companionship just like any straight couple does.

I pried a little more and my co-worker told me that infidelity among gay couples is a continual problem in the gay community. 2 and 2 came together... it was obviously that way because they had nothing to keep couples together. No children, no marriage, nothing.

It is clear to me now that allowing gays to get married is the right thing to do. They suffer and are held back because they cannot publicly make vows to each other that are psychologically necessary to create stable, trusting long-term relationships of the sort heterosexual couples enjoy and also allow civilization to function well at large.

So I'm officially about-facing. Let gays get married.. NOW!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 03:54 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post

I pried a little more and my co-worker told me that infidelity among gay couples is a continual problem in the gay community. 2 and 2 came together... it was obviously that way because they had nothing to keep couples together. No children, no marriage, nothing.
Infidelity is a continual problem within the "straight" community as well. Newsflash!!!!

Even with children, marriage and so forth, straight couples are everyday in mass numbers divorcing, cheating on each other, screwing each other over and brawling.

Its kind of more of a "human" issue than it is a specific sexual group issue.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:59 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Gays can marry. They just cannot marry individuals of the same gender. Same with heterosexuals, bi-sexuals and transgender people not being able to marry someone of the same gender. The law on marriage is the same for us all and treats us all identically.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:04 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
First off, I'm not just straight, I'm Damn straight. I have a difficult time comprehending how a man can look at another man and say "oh yea, that's sexy...". My opinion on homosexuals was: "do your dirty deeds behind closed doors, I don't care, but don't make me look at it or think about it or I'll puke up my whiskey.

So I was a little bit uppity when a openly gay man was moved next to me at work. But we talked, were open about the subject and I've learned a lot about the gay perspective from him.

Anyway, today he was upset because he suspected his boyfriend of cheating on him. It had never occurred to me, but my co-worker's relationship was not about dirty deeds in back rooms after all. He sought out and longed for companionship just like any straight couple does.

It is clear to me now that allowing gays to get married is the right thing to do. They suffer and are held back because they cannot publicly make vows to each other that are psychologically necessary to create stable, trusting long-term relationships of the sort heterosexual couples enjoy and also allow civilization to function well at large.

So I'm officially about-facing. Let gays get married.. NOW!!!
Getting Married has nothing to do with staying together, people get divorced all the time, people who are married cheat and the same with having children.
Anybody can make Vows to each other but it doesn't mean a thing if they don't mean it.
being married has nothing to do with it, if two people truely love each other.

3,767 posts, read 4,529,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Gays can marry. They just cannot marry individuals of the same gender. Same with heterosexuals, bi-sexuals and transgender people not being able to marry someone of the same gender. The law on marriage is the same for us all and treats us all identically.
That's what I keep saying. lol.

It doesn't seem to get through.

And I'm glad that OP has recovered from his phobia of homosexuals but I missed the reason why that since he has recovered personally same sex marriage should be allowed?

3,078 posts, read 11,062,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Because, you know, we're all identical.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Because, you know, we're all identical.
No actually we are all different. That's the beauty of humans. We all have our problems, our issues and troubles.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:07 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
That's what I keep saying. lol.

It doesn't seem to get through.

And I'm glad that OP has recovered from his phobia of homosexuals but I miss the reason why that since he has recovered personally same sex marriage should be allowed?
I wonder why he was scared of Homosexuals in the first place?

Old 10-08-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I wonder why he was scared of Homosexuals in the first place?
Maybe he will share.
I don't believe same sex marrige should be legal. I have no phobia just my beliefs.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:09 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,203,345 times
You could use the same rationale before interracial marriage was outlawed--they have the same rights as everyone else to marry someone within their own race--they just can't marry who they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies