Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 03:56 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times

Advertisements

If you're a Republican or a "tea party" member then listen up.........

"New research finds we trust experts who agree with our own opinions, suggesting that subjective feelings override scientific information. "

People Are Allergic to the Facts | | AlterNet

Last edited by Grandpa Pipes; 10-08-2010 at 04:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 04:11 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Sometimes the facts are only a opinion.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:15 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times
Which is why everyone needs to read a wide variety of news sources and history, and watch a wide variety of news networks, instead of just the one that just pushes your own viewpoint. If you want to make policy based on bumper sticker slogans with a smattering of pseudo facts, fine. I think that's true of both extreme sides of the political spectrum. I prefer to live in the real world. I may not like some viewpoints, but if they're logical and make sense, I have to respect them.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:22 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
For the right-wingers, opinions are facts.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:25 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
If you're a Republican or a "tea party" member the listen up.........

"New research finds we trust experts who agree with our own opinions, suggesting that subjective feelings override scientific information. "

People Are Allergic to the Facts | | AlterNet
Well thank you we now know why the left thinks as it does!

Old 10-08-2010, 04:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
It works both ways. Many don't even bother to try to debate the CONTENT of a URL and base their opinions on the URL itself.

Huffpost, Fox, and the survey sites.

Unemployment data came out today. Did I read the entire article ?
No..I went to the BLS and read the data for myself and then went back and read the article.

Depending on who authors the article is which part of the BLS report they want to publicize. They all cherry pick to promote what THEY want to promote.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:36 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It works both ways. Many don't even bother to try to debate the CONTENT of a URL and base their opinions on the URL itself.
Huffpost, Fox, and the survey sites.
Unemployment data came out today. Did I read the entire article ?
No..I went to the BLS and read the data for myself and then went back and read the article.
Depending on who authors the article is which part of the BLS report they want to publicize. They all cherry pick to promote what THEY want to promote.
Exactly. It does work both ways. But some people just can't understand that concept. lol.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:40 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,834,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Well thank you we now know why the left thinks as it does!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Exactly. It does work both ways. But some people just can't understand that concept. lol.
It does appears that the OP didn't read beyond the first page of his/her own link.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:48 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Personally I don't watch to many "opinion" shows. Unless they have some comic value to them, like the daily show, or bill maher, and then I still don't take their opinion as fact. I usually double check Maher, because sometimes he only gives you part of the story, and not the whole facts.

What bugs me about conservatives is that they listen to Hannity, Beck, and Limbaugh, who have no comedic value, and think that everything they are saying is true, or the whole story.

My Dad is awful about it. He calls me all the time about stuff he's seen on a Fox news opinion show, and thinks its the gospel. I usually know the full story, and show him the other side of it. Then he just gets quiet about it. He doesn't like it when I point out his beloved news channel is biased.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:00 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,626,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
For left-wingers, feelings are facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies