U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-10-2010, 05:18 PM

1,595 posts, read 1,100,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95
Seeing as our tax dollars go towards paying for food stamp cards, should there be limits on what can be purchased with them? I say we should cut out brand name products, soda, junk food snacks ie; Twinkies, Ho Ho's, etc, sugar cereals, etc. It should be used on nutritious foods, especially seeing as food stamps are mainly used for kids. I think we should have a say seeing as it's taxpayer money. In my teens, I worked at a grocery store. I witnessed daily what was purchased with FS. Most of it was food that is absolutely horrible for you and almost all of it brand name. If you want junk food, buy it with cash...not on my dime.

Now if we could only stop the other food stamp epidemic...people selling the card balances for cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
That's a little harsh, wanting to cut out brand name products. Not all generic foods taste as good as brand name ones.

I agree It is a bit harsh to limit food stamps to generic foods. It's not the brand name that's the problem it's the junk food they chose as opposed to healthy food. As long as they have the food stamps I think they should buy whatever food they like for themselves and their children. It's not up to anyone to say they must use it for say chicken instead of a can of soup.

What I think all should have a say in and should be stopped is the cashing of the food stamps to buy beer, booze and cigarettes and/or pot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 05:25 PM

27,238 posts, read 26,314,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You might pay a lot for fresh fruits and vegetables especially when they are out of season but the basics are not more expensive. I have a pound of flour and it gets used, how many people on food stamps are using flour?
For what?? I'm not on food stamps, but I don't keep flour around. What would I possibly want it for? I don't bake.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Food Stamps cannot be used to buy a shirt. Why, because a shirt is not food, it has no food value. Why should Food Stamps be used to purchase soda, twinkies, candy bars,.... all those items that have no food value?
They tried this in Minnesota. The problem is that those things are intended to be consumed as food, whether they are "nutritious" or not. They still provide calories to burn.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
Here in IL the WIC list is quite restrictive. I think it should be, as has been said before use your own cash to buy junk if that's what you want, but feed your kids something better with your food stamps. Nobody needs soda. But they do need a filling and nutritious meal.
Next time you're in a store, figure out how much juice is per ounce, and how much soda is per ounce, and come back and tell me which is cheaper.

I know in advance--the soda is cheaper, and that's why I buy it instead of juice.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:41 PM

3,791 posts, read 4,914,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
So kids from poorer families shouldn't be allowed cookies or chips because you think if it comes from welfare you have a right to decide what they eat? I find that whole concept really nauseating.
If it came down to it, I would rather see the kids eat cookies over Mountain Dew. Both are bad, but one is extremely bad. I'm sure you can look up what Mountain Dew is doing to the Appalachian region. All of this junk food is rotting out teeth (more tax money), leading to poor health (more tax money), etc.

ANYTHING that comes from taxpayer money...YEAH...I should have a say in what they do with it.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:47 PM

206 posts, read 188,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
If their parents don't have enough income to provide "treats", no. Unfair? That's the way life works. The "poorer" kids also don't get to wear designer label sneakers or have the high priced toys their better off peers have either.

Nothing stopping their moms from buying the ingredients to MAKE cookies or home made candy is there?

I thought they shouldn't be able to buy non nutritious items like chocolate chips for cookies?

Old 10-10-2010, 05:52 PM

6,608 posts, read 6,739,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akama13 View Post
I thought they shouldn't be able to buy non nutritious items like chocolate chips for cookies?
I doubt anyone is advocating for restricting baking "ingredients" - or in that case we'd be banning sugar as a food stamp item as well LOL

and who said the cookies had to be chocchip ones anyway?

Old 10-10-2010, 05:54 PM

2,047 posts, read 664,352 times
food stamps should never be use for over a year its unamerican

Old 10-10-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I doubt anyone is advocating for restricting baking "ingredients" - or in that case we'd be banning sugar as a food stamp item as well LOL

Oatmeal cookies. Peanut butter cookies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gysmo View Post
food stamps should never be use for over a year its unamerican
Those on disability are probably also getting food stamps. Disability can be permanent.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:10 PM

3,791 posts, read 4,914,378 times
Quote:

No. When I started this, I meant junk food. Soda, pre-packaged cookies, Little Debbie snacks, candy bars, Kool Aid, sugar cereal's, Pop Tarts, other junk snacks.

I think it's fine to get any ingredients to make cookies. Those can be used as a reward or treat. They are also probably better for you then the Chips-Ahoy version and taste better too. Twinkies washed down with a Coke...NO!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies