Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2010, 10:30 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,897,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I'm a guy--not my job to cook. Personally, I'd refuse food stamps, I've never been on them myself. I'd rather stop eating entirely. Bread and ramen soup is sufficient. Boil water in the microwave, add noodles, stir.
Good to see this thread has come full circle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 10:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
By the way, you can by seeds with food stamps. Perhaps we should encourage recipients to grow some of their own veggies. How about a communal garden in an apartment complex?
Great idea, if the apt. building has some growable land.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:51 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,543,313 times
Are we still beating this dead horse? Maybe we should be feeding it to those grubby, lazy, irresponsible, selfish -- insert appropriately ridiculous and unimaginative invective here -- entitlement bums, and be done with this.

*sigh*

Old 11-20-2010, 10:51 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

"Welfare people" and "normal people"?
You would try to twist things.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
Andrea I have come to the conclusion after reading your posts that you have much resentment for those who you call 'welfare people'.

Although you say you are sympathetic to some, you always finish that with 'but' or 'however there are those who truly milk the system.

You seem to believe that those who are truly needy are in your own words 'unique'.

Your personal experiences have tainted your objectivity on this issue & it is disappointing to hear someone with the intelligence as you obviously have become so bitter because of it.
I hope you can overcome this for your sake.
The family member who did this to you is a dingbat.
Why am I the one being called out here? Are you forgetting that there are like 30 pages of other posts, many of which agree with my viewpoint on this topic?

No need for pity here. If anything, feel sorry for the idiot who "did this to me" since she will never change.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
You would try to twist things.
Please explain.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Are you now saying that poor people only have mini fridges?? Can we please got off this fridge thing?

Old 11-20-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Please explain.
Explain what?

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 11-21-2010 at 08:27 AM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic, not each other.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:23 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,897,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Are you now saying that poor people only have mini fridges?? Can we please got off this fridge thing?
Trust me...get out of the fridge vortex while you can.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:49 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
I work in an inner-city supermarket. The first two weeks of each month, we see a very heavy number of EBT (electronic benefits transfer) Card purchases. These function essentially as food stamps. A significant amount of product which is purchased on these cards would be defined by most people as being luxury items: lobster, expensive cuts of beef, high-end deli and bakery items, etc. Other frequently purchased items are those sorely lacking in nutritional value. Things such as potato chips, soda, and candy.

This is frustrating for many of us who work in the store because our tax dollars are being used to purchase these items. I have no problem with my taxes being used to provide those who are temporarily down on their luck with the food they need to sustain their families, but many of these folks are eating better than are those who work for their money. Those who are receiving government subsidies should be given a basic choice of foods which are both economical and nutritious.
Geez...for some reason, it's always the "inner city." Do the poor live anywhere else in America? Apparently not.

I've been in dozens of inner city supermarkets...i simply don't remember seeing lobster, expensive cuts of beef, and high end deli (???) items. Folks in the "inner city" are opting for Proscuitto and brie nowadays? Since when? Lobster? Uh huh. Expensive cuts of beef? What...filet mignon and New York Strips? I live in a fairly affluent city now, and Lobster is a rarity even in OUR supermarkets here!! I think you have to order it for the most part unless you buy it frozen.

Sometimes i think some of you on here don't realize who you're talking to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies