Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2010, 01:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I didn't tell you what to post. I just asked you to stop picking my posts apart. I don't have a problem with it, but it is getting annoying. I may have to find my ignore list if it continues.

It's not about obesity, right, so why are you referring me to links regarding obesity?

Yes, some people have disagreed with the premise of the OP, but most people who have responded to this thread have been in agreement.

I did not conveniently omit that from my post, I saw that that is included in the article but it has no relevance here, so I logically omitted it from my post. Nobody eats enough fruits and vegetables, period. My point is that people do not really buy produce with food stamps. Therefore, your link backed up my point.
I quoted someone else's post. You reiterated the stuff about obestiy.

There is a great deal of relevance to how food stamp recipients shop vs how "normal people" (in your words) shop. The answere is: not much differently.

I am going to cry if you put me on ignore!

Quote:
Therefore, your link backed up my point. k
Please tell me what point that is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 01:37 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I'm not upset that you've never had to use food stamps. You should consider yourself lucky if you, unlike millions upon millions of Americans, have never been only one paycheck away from homelessness. There are millions of us who have not been so fortunate.

As I stated previously, we all know that there are those who abuse the food stamp system. But they are the exception rather than the rule. I have a huge issue with you and those like you who feel that it is THEIR right to determine what foods other people should have the right to buy with food stamps, especially when those people are those who follow the rules--and who happen to significantly outnumber those who do not.

Regulating the majority for the sins of the minority can in no way be considered right or fair. How anyone could condone this sort of nanny-state behavior is beyond me.
Yes. And...

If some people are irresponsible with their food stamps, how does that hurt anyone but them and/or their family? No business of yours. People should focus more on changing the direction of this country and the places we're headed. And with where we're headed, food stamp issues will be the very least of our concerns. If there were more and true fairness and intelligence in this country, we wouldn't be having this discussion. If that need be spelled out, then understanding and comprehension need addressed as well. Not only that, but all money, no matter who it comes from is recycled in one way or another.

I started a thread about experience and the lack thereof today. If you haven't lived it, try and understand it. Uneducated criticism is nothing more than passing judgment. Which teaches nothing but bigotry.

We're responsible with our food stamps and after being so, enjoy some ice cream and snacks. It's very rude to limit ALL because of SOME.

After the first of the year my unpaid seatbelt/D.O.S. license will be rectified and I'll have full time employment driving for my county's public transit system. My government assistance will be cut completely. I'm very pleased that even though I spent twenty-five years paying taxes to get the assistance I was forced to take, it's now coming to an end. I would have preferred to have not had to take it at all.

It would be refreshing to see people FOCUS on the things that really matter.

Last edited by shroombeanie; 11-21-2010 at 02:00 PM..

Old 11-21-2010, 01:38 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times
Oh, and btw, another of my family members is on disability and she's like almost 60. With her disability payments, she makes too much for food stamps, but when she was on SSI, she did get food stamps and b/c of her health, she was doctor-ordered to make good food decisions--lay off the salt, lay off the sugar, cut out some fat, etc. Since she was living at my house at the time, I was responsible for taking her around town since she let her car get repo-ed. Well, try as I might, she still sneaked crappy foods into my house, she hid them from me at the store and I reamed her a few times when we came home with straight up crap that she had put into her little motorized cart. She saw no repercussions for her decisions. If she can live with family members, have people taking her around, pay next to nothing for her bills, mooch off the gov't, why wouldn't she take advantage? It ended when I got sick of it and we asked her to leave. She now mooches off another family member.

I tell this story to represent the mindset of people who do milk the system for all its worth. She is not truly disabled, she could easily have a desk job. Her problem is that she smoked for like 30 years and has COPD and has to use oxygen. That is from her own doing, 100%. She refuses to acknowledge this fact. So yeah, many people out there who get benefits from the gov't do abuse it, seniors or not. It's unfortunate but it happens a lot.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:41 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,249 times
Quote:
It is my right to determine what my tax money should be spent on. Plain and simple.

I wouldn't consider myself lucky to never have been one check away from homelessness, just as I don't consider it unlucky to have to live long-term off food stamps. I can take responsibility for my life choices. That's the difference between me and the chronic welfare folk.

If you're not breaking the rules with your food stamps, you should have no problem with junk food being off the list of approved items to buy with FS.
Perfect example of what I just posted. WE ARE responsible with our stamps and do enjoy getting ice cream and snacks after everything else nutritious has been bought. Get off your horse. Many, many people on food stamps right now have put money into the system for years. It's NOT just your money.

Not all of us are happy about our tax dollars having to take care of us. Many better places it COULD have gone. Our government is crooked... pay attention to that and the rest will take care of itself.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I quoted someone else's post. You reiterated the stuff about obestiy.

There is a great deal of relevance to how food stamp recipients shop vs how "normal people" (in your words) shop. The answere is: not much differently.

I am going to cry if you put me on ignore!

Please tell me what point that is?
*sigh* Forget it now, the point has obviously been lost on you anyway.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
Perfect example of what I just posted. WE ARE responsible with our stamps and do enjoy getting ice cream and snacks after everything else nutritious has been bought. Get off your horse.
So then we agree, right?

Old 11-21-2010, 01:44 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
Quote:
Some seniors are on food stamps, yes. But they also should not be loading up on junk! They can use some of their SS money for the chips and cookies if they would like.
Thank you. I'm a senior and regularly go to the senior center for social interaction. I can assure you that the vast majority of seniors who get food stamps use the benefit in the most cost effective, frugal manner. The Sara Lee pound cake is a once a month treat at best. Tuna surprise is a staple. (You're surprised if you find any tuna in it).

I admit that there are a minority of food stamp users that have been long term and abuse the system. Mostly mothers and young children with deadbeat dads. But the vast majority of long term recipients of the food stamp program are seniors in their golden years. For every senior who retires to florida with a SS check and a 2500 dollar a month pension there are 50 who live in a 1000 sq. ft. bungalow subsisting on 1100 dollars a month and spend most of their money on medical co-pays and deductables.

How would your food stamp purchase regulations just target the abusers and not the senior citizens who want a peice of cake now and then?

Old 11-21-2010, 01:44 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
So then we agree, right?
I don't think so! You don't want people to be able to use them for those items.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Thank you. I'm a senior and regularly go to the senior center for social interaction. I can assure you that the vast majority of seniors who get food stamps use the benefit in the most cost effective, frugal manner. The Sara Lee pound cake is a once a month treat at best. Tuna surprise is a staple. (You're surprised if you find any tuna in it).

I admit that there are a minority of food stamp users that have been long term and abuse the system. Mostly mothers and young children with deadbeat dads. But the vast majority of long term recipients of the food stamp program are seniors in their golden years. For every senior who retires to florida with a SS check and a 2500 dollar a month pension there are 50 who live in a 1000 sq. ft. bungalow subsisting on 1100 dollars a month and spend most of their money on medical co-pays and deductables.

How would your food stamp purchase regulations just target the abusers and not the senior citizens who want a peice of cake now and then?
LOL Thank you for your kind reply. There's too much animosity here, myself included.

To target the abusers, there could be some kind of limit on purchases of junk items. If we have to compromise, there could be a set dollar limit for items like this, like say $25 per month. If a welfare mama with her 8 kids in tow wants to make it last, she needs to buy off brand and in bulk and on sale. If a senior wants his montly Sara Lee, let him get his Sara Lee. I don't want to deprive the people who are not taking advantage, but there needs to be some kind of limit to how much people can spend. And since FS allowances vary, it could be a percentage instead of just a flat $25. I can't believe I'm even thinking this far into something that will most likely never happen! Thank you for pointing out that there are many seniors on FS, I had never thought about that.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't think so! You don't want people to be able to use them for those items.
after a statement = being facetious

No, I don't think people should use them for these items and honestly, if someone wants to buy excessive junk food, they can use their own money for it. But as mohawk has now convinced me, I would support a small percentage of food stamps being allowed for junk so everyone can have a treat once in awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies