Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2010, 06:47 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,753,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
This is going to sound hard and cold & cruel to some. So be it.
You were responsible enough to get to your golden years without enough money to feed yourself. So when "the government" hands out money for people to buy food, it should be the basics, the necessities, and those who take it should say "thank you", not "This isn't good enough". Because after all, you are buying that food with MY money, in part. And without sounding too heartless, I'm not interested in buying you a coffee cake, or a lobster tail.
Bill :YOU are the one that will likely vote to ban social security so our elderly friend here, who depends on FS wont get that or the FSProgram....

Are you going to tell your mother : Feed yourself mom, you are 82 years old....shame on you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 06:49 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
I'm HARDLY a "FS Nazi" - unless you feel saying taking candy and soft drinks (soda) off the FS list is so. I've never even mentioned cake mixes or sugar.

If they can ban "energy drinks" so called, then why not candy and soft drink which is basically just PURE sugar and of absolutely NO nutritional value whatsoever?
The problem is is...where does it stop. I can't personally can't stomach soft drinks and supermarket candy is unpalatable to me as well. I probably grew up in a somewhat similar fashion as you did.

Last winter I went to the store a few times for an elderly neighbor. She signed something to the effect that I could use her benefits card to purchase stuff for her to eat. She'd always ask for a twelve pack of some sort of grape soda. From what I could tell, it was one of the only pleasures in her life at all.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:53 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,899,490 times
From the years of working at a grocery store, when it came to MOST food stamp users, moderation was not in their vocabulary. Convenience foods galore, soda, etc.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:57 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Getting people cooking again is of course a great idea, though it wouldn't work for everyone. Some elderly and disabled people really can't do much on their own.

This is an interesting article that talks a bit about how the "Big Food" lobby in the U.S. actively works against limiting choices on what people can or can't purchase...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/17/we...rtocollis.html

Quote:
The chairman of Feeding America, a national network of more than 200 food banks, is an executive at Kraft Foods, and other members work at ConAgra, Mars, Kroger and Wal-Mart. The group has “consistently worked with a coalition of other advocacy organizations, food manufacturers and retailers to oppose efforts to restrict SNAP (food stamp) choice,” Ross Fraser, a spokesman, wrote in an e-mail message.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:01 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,937,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
LOL, just a fancy french word for what is after all a simple baked custard with a caramel sauce.
Not that it matters to the discussion, but....
Creme brulee is custard with a cooked sugar crust. And yes, it is French.
The custard with caramel sauce is a Flan, and it's Spanish.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:08 PM

4,659 posts, read 4,973,860 times
It looks to me that telling people on welfare what they can and can't eat is, ironically, a psychic form of junk food for those for whom the Puritan streak runs strong. Banning welfare mamas from buying pork rinds will feel great -- until a minute later, when you get hungry again to dictate to others how to live their lives.

Why support real change, whether offering nutrition classes or simply cutting benefits and forcing welfare recipients to scale down, when you can just arbitrarily ban items? Why cook a fresh, healthy stir-fry when you can order a vat of General Tso's Chicken?

Sounds like you have something in common with the welfare folks after all...

Old 11-21-2010, 07:10 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,258,187 times
Yes. We are the only nation in the world where poor people are obese. This is driving up health care costs for EVERYONE. Child obesity is rampant and we should not have to fund it. Pure and simple.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:14 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Bill :YOU are the one that will likely vote to ban social security so our elderly friend here, who depends on FS wont get that or the FSProgram....

Are you going to tell your mother : Feed yourself mom, you are 82 years old....shame on you...
My dear "other" and I have thought about this very scenario. We thought about showing up at our oldest son's house for thanksgiving and just not leaving when the visit was over. Bring our bags and the cat and just stay. We laughed for a bit over that vision.

Hell we sacrificed for years to make sure he grew up healthy and educated. We paid for his college, we paid the down payment on his first house. We're lucky if we get a card for Christmas. Now his generation is rumbling about cutting medicare, elimininating social security and monitoring what foods we buy because it's their money. What about all the money we invested in this generation?

If 20 million seniors showed up at their kid's door and refused to leave, you watch how fast the generation of no changes their tune. "OH no! don't you dare reduce my mother in laws social security check and let the b#t!h eat anything she wants." That's what they'd say, for sure.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:18 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
Good for you. I'm one of the fortunate ones that soon enough (Jan. 2011) will be able to work AGAIN as I had since I was fifteen. (25 years) Since I've EXPERIENCED 'hard times' I no longer have a problem with FS recipients buying whatever can be eaten. If one stays with a good discount store (Aldis is great - no frills - no neon - bag it yourself) people don't have to omit their snacks. And no one has the right to tell them they do. Fraud is a whole different wax ball.
Thank you for a logical, and caring post.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:27 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Pizza = pizza. You can sit there and compare different pizza's, but they are still all pizza. I don't care if it's a veggie pizza from somewhere. It's still pizza.
They don't call it "Tombstone" for nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies