Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2010, 12:04 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,841,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
And the start up costs for baking a cake from scratch are quite a bit more expensive than buying a mix. Some people don't have all the ingredients at hand because they just don't bake enough to make it a good investment. Unless someone bakes often it really isn't cost effective.
Don't know what you're reading, but I haven't seen ANYone suggest banning cake or cookie mixes etc from FS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 12:35 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,980,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Yes if we have to have the food stamp program I would prefer that junk food is prohibited. Afterall the N in SNAP is supposed to stand for Nutrition.

It's gotten to the point where I can tell who's going to swipe a food stamps card or not based on what's in a shoppng cart. The more junk the more likely they pull out the card and swipe away.

I even see people at 7-11 buying nothing but junk and paying for it with their tax payer (or printing press) supported food stamp card. I even saw one morbidly obese woman buy 10 candy bars with food stamps. I never saw anything like this pre-Obama. Speaking of which, if Michelle Obama is truly concerned about childhood obesity she would be pushing to prohibit food stamp users from buying junk food. That would do more to reduce childhood (and adult) obesity than ANYTHING she has done so far.
Oh geez where have you been the past 30+ years. Never saw it done? C'mon

Old 11-22-2010, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rural lady View Post
Oh geez where have you been the past 30+ years. Never saw it done? C'mon

It is rather ludicrous - no, no-one on FS ever bought JUNK food pre-Obama - good grief

Old 11-22-2010, 12:51 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Yeah.

Just like "extraordinary"="really, really ordinary". In which case, you, TKramar, are truly an extraordinary person.
I freely admit to being ordinary. No one is special.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Really, you want to soup line 1/8th of all Americans?

I guess nobody remembers back when it was called relief and the soup you received had bugs in it. At times those that had no food or shelter some of the police let families stay in jail so they could eat & have a place to sleep for the night I'm talking about a whole family, no criminals.

From reading these threads I guess some think the poor should live on applesauce breads and milk & coffee, has anyone here ever tried that with their family or want to try it to save a buck.

I'm sure a few of you remember eating that way.

Soup lines....it'll be a shame to come to that.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Yes. Soylent Green.
Good one, I forgot about that.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I freely admit to being ordinary. No one is special.

Not in your world it seems. Glad I don't live there.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
I can agree with you, however you have to ask yourself. Are these people in a situation to have the time to prepare the food.

Have you ever been working poor (2 jobs minimum wage)? Between commute times and working 14-16 hour days. I can say from experience that additional time to prepare ingrediants from scratch is not there. You look for high calories and low prep time/work because you simply don't have the time. Dried beans are dirt cheap for example but take hours to prepare. The same can be said for most rice that has some nutritional value. This is why the fast food business is booming. Because its fast. There isn't prep work involved. There aren't dishes, pots and pans to clean. Raw foods still have to be cooked otherwise you still don't get the full nutritional value.
Exactly, has anyone walked in these shoes? or rode the bus carrying the groceries.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
after reading these post, I wonder why we dont have more control over our Federal spending...we have it down... to what to limit poor folk from eating, but cant seem to get the glutens in government(from city to congress) from spending on EVERYTHING under the freaking sun.
Exactly

Old 11-22-2010, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
I don't know much about the canned meat and cheese at all so my assumption could be way off but I have a feeling that if someone was living on government issued stuff like that their blood pressure would be WAY up. Lots of sodium I'm assuming in a lot of cheap canned stuff like that. At least thats what I would think.
Yep and lots of fat....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies