Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 10:31 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Only producers in society get the tax deduction. One must actually pay taxes in order to deduct. So, one would conclude that the OP is also for eliminating all aid to children and families with children, wouldn't that be correct? Or, is the OP just being selective in his/her outrage?
Look at the EITC - that's where people who didn't pay in but get money "back" which is just another welfare handout.

The real problem is the tax system. Actual refunds are just the money they took from you in the first place. Working people are being taxed to death and no way should the government be robbing people so much that working people can't afford to have any kids.

In many parts of the country, the welfare class is outbreeding the working class - and that means very serious problems ahead. In Houston public schools, 80% of kids are on the free lunch program - when the welfare class outnumbers the working class -- look out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 10:52 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
In a convoluted, warped, sort of way this makes perfect sense coming from the right wing of the political debate. If we institute just the changes they would like to make based on the top three pages of CD, we would do the following......
Ban Abortion for any reason while taking away any child tax credit
Eliminate the minimum wage while abolishing welfare and food stamps
Kill the Obama health care legislation while eliminating social security and medicare.
Extend the Bush tax cuts for the richest 2% while busting the trade unions.

Are we showing a trend here? Is the picture becoming clearer as to the true right wing agenda?
Anyone who would support such an agenda might as well put on the brown shirts now.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:10 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,310,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
And I bet the OP is an greeny as well! ... the people with the most kids are the poor you espouse to care so much about and they do not pay taxes..........
I don't espouse to care so much about poor people or their litters. There are many people in worse conditions in poverty-stricken countries. Life expectancy in those countries is maybe 30 years. If that degree of suffering happened in this country people might think twice about getting birth control (which is largely free, BTW). You say "greeny" with such disdain, LOL. But this isn't about party lines. I'm definitely not a right-winger either. I don't allow party affiliation to color my independent views on each issue. The sad fact is that we as a nation cannot afford to pay for spawning behavior and a solution must be found; somebody has to suffer (and so far it has been the taxpayers who fund this regardless of their child-rearing status).

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
What about parents that send their kids to private school? Should they still get tax deduction?
Given the crappy educational system I empathize but would still like to say no, because private school isn't a necessity. It also brings up the question of if you home school, should you get a deduction? My tendency again is to say no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
How about no tax deductions for anyone ever?
Then get rid of income tax and place a flat tax on non-food items as a form of a national sales tax... No tax evasion.
No deductions sounds fine and would probably guarantee the least fraud. But some people are pretty good at evading sales taxes too, with faked/incomplete receipts so I worry about that practice growing as a result. No ensured accountability there either though it might be worth a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
Tax corporations more that are toxic polluters instead! PEOPLE ARE NOT POLLUTION, for crying out loud Good grief this Tea Party mentality is dangerous!
Yes, polluter corporations should be taxed more. But that doesn't mean people aren't also a source of pollution with each individual leaving behind a gigantic carbon footprint and non biodegradable trash. Tea party? Lost me there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Only producers in society get the tax deduction. One must actually pay taxes in order to deduct. So, one would conclude that the OP is also for eliminating all aid to children and families with children, wouldn't that be correct? Or, is the OP just being selective in his/her outrage?
Plenty of taxpayers who have kids (rich, middle, low middle class) get deductions. This will affect all groups. Eliminating welfare is the next step, but I think that is a different topic. I'm for the idea of phasing out welfare, but I have never put myself in the shoes of the ultra-poor enough to know what might happen (social unrest? increased public threats i.e. the Plague or other epidemics from unsanitary conditions?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
And just what do you suppose the tax system could do to prevent the most common cause of childbirth....sex? Do you think a majority of women would say to themselves while in the heat of passion, "Whoa! I'd better stop right here or I'll lost a tax deduction!"
No, but they will feel the pain some years later, and people will start seeing the undesirable consequences. Then a paradigm shift will occur in which people will start recognizing irresponsible spawning for the deathtrap that it is. Over the span of a decade it will lessen the reliance on social welfare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I wouldn't do that to the tax payers but it's time to look at the government dependent class which is having the most babies now. Cut off welfare of all kind but don't destroy the tax payers first.
That is another viable option. I think the tax deduction for dependents was created with the assumption that everyone will have kids someday. This is growing less and less true. More people I talk to are tired of paying for other people's kids no matter what class they come from.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:24 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
The more kids you have, the more state money you spend. But the less taxes you pay.

What better incentive to control your finances than to get rid of the tax deductions for having dependents? Also, it will get rid of current abuses by people who use their children (or foster children), or other adult dependents for financial gain / welfare fraud.
I think the folks you are talking about don't pay taxes at all, thus eliminating dependent tax deductions is mute

I say eliminate the 16th amendment

Old 10-09-2010, 11:57 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,928,844 times
Wisconsins dirty little secret is this blue Democrat state has social workers at the bedside of new mom's trying to get them to sign up for immediate, free, procedure to tie the filopian tubes.
I'm religeously against abortion, but not birth control. I've seen firsthand how minorities work the system as a way to steal government monies. This program works. Many mommy machines are shut down for good.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:15 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,310,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
Wisconsins dirty little secret is this blue Democrat state has social workers at the bedside of new mom's trying to get them to sign up for immediate, free, procedure to tie the filopian tubes.
I'm religeously against abortion, but not birth control. I've seen firsthand how minorities work the system as a way to steal government monies. This program works. Many mommy machines are shut down for good.
We do that too here in CA. But the damage is already done by the time the tubes are tied. Even 2 kids is 1 kid too many when you need welfare. They won't attempt to get the moms to tie the tubes until maybe the 3rd or 4th kid or unless the mom is over 30.

Pollyrobin: You are probably right. Still, tons of active taxpayers have kids and get deductions for them. Should that continue to be?

Old 10-09-2010, 08:01 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
One thing I find so hilarious in this thread is how our erstwhile right-wing brethren, who would cut off all aid to dependent children, are agreeing in principle with the founder of that most hated and reviled liberal institution: Planned Parenthood.

Margaret Sanger:

"More children from the fit, less from the unfit -- that is the chief aim of birth control."

“Organized charity itself is the symptom of a malignant social disease. Those vast, complex, interrelated organizations aiming to control and to diminish the spread of misery and destitution and all the menacing evils that spring out of this sinisterly fertile soil, are the surest sign that our civilization has bred, is breeding and perpetuating constantly increasing numbers of defectives, delinquents and dependents..."

“We are failing to segregate morons who are increasing and multiplying . . . a dead weight of human waste . . .an ever-increasing spawning class of human beings who never should have been born at all.”

Wow! I'll bet y'all never dreamed you could be so liberal, huh?

Will you now send a donation to Planned Parenthood? After all, y'all seem to be in agreement!

Old 10-09-2010, 08:07 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
There is a proposal in the sneate now that would simplfy the tax cose. It would onlt have personal dedcution and be 19 lines long. You pay based on incpme with lower rates and a braoder number actually paying something.The sponsors are in the fiananxce comittee and senior on both sides.The sponsors are a democrat and a republican.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:14 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,163 times
Scrap the IRS and go to a consumption tax. Exempt food and utilities so as not to place undue burden on the poor.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:34 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,509,230 times
I agree with this post 100%. I am sick of people with kids getting tax deductions just because they pop another one out. In the mean time, I, who don't have any kids, pay more in taxes AND subsidize their kids' education by paying thousands of dollars in property taxes every year forever. Not only should the deduction be eliminated, they should pay MORE in property taxes if they have school aged children who attend public schools. I'm sick of being penalized just because I don't want any kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies