Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree?
Totally agree 25 40.32%
Agree for the most part 18 29.03%
Disagree for the most part 10 16.13%
Totally Disagree 4 6.45%
Don't care 5 8.06%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 09:38 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,368,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Agree with everything.... well, except Fox News scaring me. It doesn't scare me. It's really just sad that many people confuse propaganda, opinion pieces and talk radio as "objective news."
I completely agree. It's disgusting what MSNBC and CNN call objective and unbiased. They're so far left they, and most of their viewers, see any moderate point of view as "right wing extremist".

It's also sad that the schools are blatantly pushing their liberal agenda with shows like 'outfoxed' and no one bats an eye. I suppose next semester they'll be watching "documentaries" by Michael Moore too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 11:28 PM

956 posts, read 1,114,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Sounds like you got a nice helping of liberal bias and propaganda disguised as "instruction".

I do hope your instructor presented the other side of the coin, like MSNBC, NYT, CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS to show you their bias.
Fox News and conservatism are not synonymous... the majority of young people in any society are more liberal than their elders. Just saying...

Old 10-13-2010, 09:25 AM

170 posts, read 826,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
There are serious social issues associated with homosexuality. While I contend that it isn't the governments business who you have sex with. I will still insist that homosexuality is a bane of humanity. It serves no purpose, and has only a negative effect on any and every society.

From something as simple as boy/girl/gay bathrooms? To the religious aspect. To fertility rates(IE having children or lack thereof), and everything in-between.

If you could choose to have a world without homosexuals or a world with homosexuals, the simple truth is that the world without homosexuality would be much more united, happy, and productive.
The bane of humanity? Really? Might we be acting a tad overdramatic?

What are boy/girl/gay bathrooms? I've never seen a gay bathroom. I'm hoping you're not suggesting gay people be forced to use separate restrooms. Gay people have been using the same restrooms as straight people as long as bathrooms have been around. I don't think sexual orientation have any effect on restrooms.

Your comment about gays being a bane on the religious aspect of society - I'm assuming you're a member of a religion which is intolerant towards gays. You also seem to assume that everyone who doesn't agree with your religious beliefs is wrong. There are many gay-friendly religions and denominations... and who said gay people need to be religious anyway? I'm not trying to burn down your church, don't try to burn down mine or construct one for me. Then everybody's happy.

Fertility rates? Gay people are just as fertile (or not) as straight people. And yes, it is more complicated (and expensive) for gay people to have children than it is for straight people -- especially for gay men. But what that means is that when you come across a gay couple who has children it's pretty clear that they really, REALLY wanted them and are also able to take good care of them. I wish I could say the same for many, MANY heterosexual parents. Let's not get into topics like single-parent households, mothers with six kids and no paycheck or even abortion. My point is that gay parents usually have to prove without a shadow of a doubt that they're prepared to take care of a child, before they get the child. Not the same for the straights.

Sounds like you're feeling very threatened by the gay community. What are you so afraid of?

Old 10-13-2010, 09:30 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
Imagining a world without homosexuals is like imagining a world without people, period. For the life of me I haven't been able to see what it is about homosexuality that has certain individuals so up in arms as if the world is grinding to a tragic end.

Since this nation was founded on freedom of religion (or absence thereof) can anyone explain without their subjective "morals" what the problem with homosexuality is?

Old 10-13-2010, 09:32 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,611 times
Ok you asked for comments and feedback right? Your views sound young, naive, and pretty green which makes sense because you are still a teen.
But I would just caution you to be open to the other side of an argument and don't believe everything you hear/see in the media.
Some of your statements are pretty black and white and seem fairly simple and unsophisticated.
And as far as your fear of FOX News, have you really watched it and made up your own mind or did you watch propaganda aimed to sway you a certain way.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:46 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,452,545 times
The child is a product of his education, his peer group associations, what he absorbed from television/media, and what he hears from adults around him.

I find it odd that the same understanding you have for gays and racism you don't also have for young black Americans in your peer group. Don't they deserve the same understanding with regard to their background and home/personal struggle in society that you have for gays and "generic" racism?

One day I hope you turn the critical eye you believe that you have, on your environment back onto yourself, and examine why you believe what you believe, and where those ideas came from because you didn't come up with them on your own, by yourself, with no coaching.

You're naive, young, easily led and it shows.

(If you say racism is stupid why did you feel the need to state you're "white" in the title of this thread? If it's stupid then why even mention any "so-called race" at all? You have a lot of education in front of you, take anthropology classes at your first opportunity if you attend a University.)

Last edited by LuckyGem; 10-13-2010 at 09:56 AM..

Old 10-13-2010, 10:05 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
First you start here:
Quote:
1) While the different races create patterns of success, there is no certainty of it. Therefore race itself becomes sort of a useless characteristic.
Then make this leap of hypocrisy to go here:
Quote:
Imagine it like basketball. If you knew absolutely nothing about two people, who do you think would win in a game of basketball. The guy who is 6'4" or the guy that is 5'8"?

If average intelligence of the different races was shown as average height. Then Asians would be 6'5", Whites would be 6'4", Native-Americans 6', and blacks 5'8".

And in much the same way that height differences of the different races can be "corrected". Average intelligence differences could also be "corrected" in basically the same manner.
If you don't know enough about two people then you can't make an INFORMED DECISION because you don't know enough about the skills, personalities and abilities of the two individuals in question. Using your height and basketball analogy if a person was to select the taller player then that would indicate a bias based on height. In basketball like other endeavors in life there is not one trait of characteristic that determines success.

Judge people as individuals, not statistics.

If you truly believe that race is a useless characteristic then why judge people by it at all?

Old 10-13-2010, 10:10 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post

2. Racism is stupid
Regardless of color, anybody who is racist is WRONG. Granted, America has a terrible past in regards to civil rights and I understand the animosity of many, especially blacks towards whites. But that does not justify hating anybody because of the color of their skin. The Black Panthers have some racist views, but the KKK is incredibly racist and wrong.

6. There IS a serious culture problem among young African-Americans
I know many black people and obviously know that not all young blacks fit this bill, but an alarming amount do. I'm talking about the pants sagging, obnoxious, gangsta rap loving, semi-racist youths. Just kids with the wrong role models, bad parents, and wrong morals. Granted, having a tough past is hard to swallow, but that doesn't justify actions. There is a correlation between poverty and crime, but there is not a causation. Nobody has to steal and murder to make a living. Just stop making excuses, get new positive role-models, and get a real life together.
You have small problem with consistency since your point #2 is in direct conflict with point #6, unless of course you believe that the wearing of sagging pants, being obnoxious, or loving gangsta rap is a racially exclusive attribute to young African Americans.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:14 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
The child is a product of his education, his peer group associations, what he absorbed from television/media, and what he hears from adults around him.
I find it odd that the same understanding you have for gays and racism you don't also have for young black Americans in your peer group. Don't they deserve the same understanding with regard to their background and home/personal struggle in society that you have for gays and "generic" racism?
One day I hope you turn the critical eye you believe that you have, on your environment back onto yourself, and examine why you believe what you believe, and where those ideas came from because you didn't come up with them on your own, by yourself, with no coaching.
You're naive, young, easily led and it shows.
(If you say racism is stupid why did you feel the need to state you're "white" in the title of this thread? If it's stupid then why even mention any "so-called race" at all? You have a lot of education in front of you, take anthropology classes at your first opportunity if you attend a University.)
I do agree with the question as to why you feel then need to state that you are white in your thread title. Most of us don't give our race/gender/age etc when we initiated a thread although much can be infered. In fact I think most of us could have predicted that you were young and caucasian by your musings.
I'm not saying your are racist or anything close but I think we all need to examine ourselves before we can make pronouncements on those around us.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:26 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
History is already being trimmed from many schools cirriculums, since it is unnecessary because it doesn't produce "work-related skills". It has already been decided that being "proud" of something your ancestors accomplished is stupidity, since it isn't actually your accomplishment. So the groundwork for the destruction of the past is already in place.
You act as though the only place to learn history is in school. Contrary to popular belief education is not solely about going to school or accumulating knowledge. A truly educated person uses their skills and abilities to gather information, analyze it and think critically. We have a lot of people in society that have spent extensive time, effort and money going to school but they are not educated in the truest sense of the word. Even worse they lack the intellectual curiosity to expand their knowledge beyond what they already know.

There is nothing inherently wrong with being proud of the accomplishments of your ancestors but if you don't know anything about the accomplishments and history of other people or cultures then you don't have an accurate or informed perception about those people or how they may have contributed to the advancement of civilization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies