Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree?
Totally agree 25 40.32%
Agree for the most part 18 29.03%
Disagree for the most part 10 16.13%
Totally Disagree 4 6.45%
Don't care 5 8.06%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 11:41 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,694,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
Fox News and conservatism are not synonymous... the majority of young people in any society are more liberal than their elders. Just saying...
that may be true, but you are fooling yourself if you think America's youth are "liberal" Moderats? maybe, but not liberal. How many young people are (still) in love with Obama? Wow! That relationship lasted as long as a hollywood marriage
Todays youth are now starting to see the big picture. The youth will vote, and its not all going to be for the dems.
to be continued Nov 3rd...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 11:42 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,297,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post
My name is Aaron and I am a high school student living in St. Louis, Missouri and I just want to share my views and opinions on some issues in America.

I don't pay too much attention to social and political issues, but I am pretty aware of what makes sense and what doesn't. And in fact, there are a few specific social issues that I really wanna give my opinion on:

1. There is NOTHING wrong with being gay/lesbian
2. Racism is stupid
3. Fox News scares me
4. Marijuana and other light psychoactive drugs should be legal
Seriously, let people smoke what they want. Nuff said.

5. Gangs are pointless
6. There IS a serious culture problem among young African-Americans

I think that's all. Thanks for listening and sorry if I offended anyone. Any comments?
1) thats fine but remember others opinions will differ.

2) Yes it is but the hard truth is everybody including yourself is somewhat racist.

3) I don't care for it myself but never be scared of anything, don't limit yourself because someone showed you a bias video of their beliefs, form your own.

4) Yes lets see where that would lead. I am curious

5) Yes they are unless your in one then it's your life, a bad product of society

6) You see everyone because you felt you needed to call yourself white some would say this would be racist.

I hope your doing this from school and not playing hooky It's good to speak your mind.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:46 AM

38,608 posts, read 26,234,469 times
Quote:
My name is Aaron and I am a high school student living in St. Louis, Missouri and I just want to share my views and opinions on some issues in America.

I don't pay too much attention to social and political issues, but I am pretty aware of what makes sense and what doesn't. And in fact, there are a few specific social issues that I really wanna give my opinion on:

It's just shocking to me that so many people in the US have a problem with homosexuals and gay marriage. In an ideal world, a person should get to be themselves and not be harassed or discriminated against because of their sexual orientation. Sadly enough this is far from reality in America. Serious question for any of the many homophobes: Why is people being happy and loving who they choose such a terrible and offensive thing?!

2. Racism is stupid
Regardless of color, anybody who is racist is WRONG. Granted, America has a terrible past in regards to civil rights and I understand the animosity of many, especially blacks towards whites. But that does not justify hating anybody because of the color of their skin. The Black Panthers have some racist views, but the KKK is incredibly racist and wrong.

3. Fox News scares me
Earlier in the year in my Contemporary Issues class, we watched the documentary "Outfoxxed". The documentary focused on and exploited the many corrupt aspects of the network and really got me realizing how truly messed up it is. The fact that Fox News is one of the most watched cable networks in the world is horrifying. Almost none of the mindless crap that they pass as news is the least bit "fair and balanced".

5. Gangs are pointless
Street gangs might be the dumbest concept that's considered cool that I can think of. I mean, they are absolutely ridiculous. Stop killing people and selling drugs with your homies and get a f*****g job. Which leads me to my next topic:

I know many black people and obviously know that not all young blacks fit this bill, but an alarming amount do. I'm talking about the pants sagging, obnoxious, gangsta rap loving, semi-racist youths. Just kids with the wrong role models, bad parents, and wrong morals. Granted, having a tough past is hard to swallow, but that doesn't justify actions. There is a correlation between poverty and crime, but there is not a causation. Nobody has to steal and murder to make a living. Just stop making excuses, get new positive role-models, and get a real life together.

I think that's all. Thanks for listening and sorry if I offended anyone. Any comments?

Hmm, so you're against bad things?

Old 10-13-2010, 11:50 AM

25,915 posts, read 24,587,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
You act as though the only place to learn history is in school. Contrary to popular belief education is not solely about going to school or accumulating knowledge. A truly educated person uses their skills and abilities to gather information, analyze it and think critically. We have a lot of people in society that have spent extensive time, effort and money going to school but they are not educated in the truest sense of the word. Even worse they lack the intellectual curiosity to expand their knowledge beyond what they already know.

There is nothing inherently wrong with being proud of the accomplishments of your ancestors but if you don't know anything about the accomplishments and history of other people or cultures then you don't have an accurate or informed perception about those people or how they may have contributed to the advancement of civilization.

That pride thingy is a big problem in my view. I don't know what my ancestors did or did not accomplish. I don't even know my ancestors beyond 2 generations away, and even they are not my biological ancestors. So what is this all about? Simply being fortunate enough to have been born white or Asian as opposed to black?!

Old 10-13-2010, 12:10 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,269,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
2) Race/ethnicity is highly connected with culture and identity. The entire world was built on white-European culture, period. Outside of north Africa(which are middle-easterners, who are considered caucasians), almost the entirety of Africa was basically living in conditions that had existed for thousands of years prior to that. Europeans hadn't been living like native-Americans for thousands of years either.
The entire world is NOT built on European culture. Now granted Europeans have done a great job of amalgamating and advancing the science, technology, art, literature and other areas of human endeavor but many inventions and creations on which modern civilization are based on were created outside of Europe. What Europeans were particularly good at was usiing these inventions and creations and advancing them.

Timeline of historic inventions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-13-2010, 12:17 PM

11 posts, read 7,812 times
Agree

Old 10-13-2010, 12:27 PM

30,856 posts, read 36,771,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
Fox News and conservatism are not synonymous... the majority of young people in any society are more liberal than their elders. Just saying...
Um, yeah, that's right. Liberalism looks more appealing on the surface. But as people get older, they tend to get more conservative...because some of us wise up after we've hurt ourselves & others with the liberal philosophy.

BTW, I'm not saying extreme conservatism can't hurt people, too. But I lean conservative because it fundamentally emphasizes things like self discipline & self-control, whereas liberalism says those things are too difficult or not worthwhile.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:32 PM

292 posts, read 542,117 times
I agree with you on your views on racism, gangs, and on young African Americans. But I definetely DON'T agree with you about homosexuality, or on drugs. Homosexuality is wrong in my opinion and not ALL drugs should be legal. And your statement about Fox News "scaring you" sounds a little immature.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:44 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,023,640 times
Quote:

It's just shocking to me that so many people in the US have a problem with homosexuals and gay marriage. In an ideal world, a person should get to be themselves and not be harassed or discriminated against because of their sexual orientation. Sadly enough this is far from reality in America. Serious question for any of the many homophobes: Why is people being happy and loving who they choose such a terrible and offensive thing?!

2. Racism is stupid
Regardless of color, anybody who is racist is WRONG. Granted, America has a terrible past in regards to civil rights and I understand the animosity of many, especially blacks towards whites. But that does not justify hating anybody because of the color of their skin. The Black Panthers have some racist views, but the KKK is incredibly racist and wrong.

3. Fox News scares me
Earlier in the year in my Contemporary Issues class, we watched the documentary "Outfoxxed". The documentary focused on and exploited the many corrupt aspects of the network and really got me realizing how truly messed up it is. The fact that Fox News is one of the most watched cable networks in the world is horrifying. Almost none of the mindless crap that they pass as news is the least bit "fair and balanced".

5. Gangs are pointless
Street gangs might be the dumbest concept that's considered cool that I can think of. I mean, they are absolutely ridiculous. Stop killing people and selling drugs with your homies and get a f*****g job. Which leads me to my next topic:

I know many black people and obviously know that not all young blacks fit this bill, but an alarming amount do. I'm talking about the pants sagging, obnoxious, gangsta rap loving, semi-racist youths. Just kids with the wrong role models, bad parents, and wrong morals. Granted, having a tough past is hard to swallow, but that doesn't justify actions. There is a correlation between poverty and crime, but there is not a causation. Nobody has to steal and murder to make a living. Just stop making excuses, get new positive role-models, and get a real life together.

Well you SOB, I agree with about everything you've said.

1. There's nothing wrong with being gay. It's the last demographic that can be made fun of and can face open discrimination (except for perhaps seniors). I'm not in favor of any type of discrimination. As for being made fun of, I'm not sure if I want all mocking stopped, or for it to be sociably acceptable to make fun of every group and demographic. The latter might be more fun. But it would have to be across-the-board mocking with no exceptions.

2. Racism is stupid. Somehow mankind decided that skin color and various other common physical features carried significance. In 2010 we haven't gotten totally away from it yet. I guess it will take a little more practice.

3. Fox News doesn't scare me. I guess we part ways on this point. I think that televised media leans to the left, while the less invasive radio media leans to the right. On the other hand, I don't pay any attention to the likes of Beck or his leftside counterpart, Keith Olbermann. My advice is to listen to the news and ignore the commentary.

4. I'm kind of on the fence as far as marijuana being legalized. I'm a red wine guy, but my gut feeling is that it probably should be legalized. The idea at least should be studied.

5. Yes, gangs are stupid.

6. Yes, there is a serious culture problem amongst African Americans. This is kind of a continuation of #5. Gangs are kind of a result, and also a symptom of the problem. It is a culture that has to a significant degree lost its way. I think the first step is for blacks to recognize the problem rather than to hide it or blame society. I think the only answer ultimately is to assimilate into the larger culture. That may require getting by their fears and racial animousity which are too often evident.

Last edited by GalileoSmith; 10-13-2010 at 12:59 PM..

Old 10-13-2010, 01:03 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,269,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
6. Yes, there is a serious culture problem amongst African Americans. This is kind of a continuation of #5. Gangs are kind of a result, and also a symptom of the problem. It is a culture that has to a significant degree lost its way. I think the first step is for blacks to recognize the problem rather than to hide it or blame society. I think the only answer ultimately is to assimilate into the larger culture. That may require getting by fears and racial animousity.
The problems with some segments of Black American culture are undeniable but they do no encompass the full spectrum of Black America. The people that are practicing behaviors and lifestyles that are inherently pathological are going to have to sort out these problems for themselves. That won't change until they are motivated on a personal level to change.

America at large has shown a measure of disdain ranging from at the least bias and at the worst outright hatred towards Black Americans and in particularly poor Black Americans. For the most part they are not wanted or accepted by mainstream American culture and they know it. Part of the reason for the pathological behaviors you see is the rejection of a mainstream culture that really doesn't care about them, understand them or accept them. I don't see any chances of assimilation in the near to intermediate term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies