Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Make Drug Testing Mandatory for LI Welfare Recipients?
Yes 106 73.61%
No 38 26.39%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 05:01 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times

Advertisements

Making Drug Testing Mandatory for LI Welfare Recipients?

Please use the search feature.
This has been discussed and there's a current thread on this law being struck down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 05:23 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,239,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Have you considered that perhaps the reason so many crimes (arrests) occur in the US these days is because we as a culture have criminalized more and more behaviors and activities - such as types of drug use? However, we've done this despite the fact that actual violent crime rates have dropped to the lowest levels in over 40 years.
EXACTLY RIGHT. "Americans are locked up for crimes — from writing bad checks to using drugs — that would rarely produce prison sentences in other countries. And in particular they are kept incarcerated far longer than prisoners in other nations...In 1980, there were about 40,000 people in American jails and prisons for drug crimes. These days, there are almost 500,000." U.S. prison population dwarfs that of other nations - The New York Times

"Critics have lambasted the United States for incarcerating a large number of non-violent and victimless offenders; half of all persons incarcerated under state jurisdiction are for non-violent offenses, and 20% are incarcerated for drug offenses (in state prisons, federal prison percentages are higher)...The United States has the highest documented incarceration rate in the world...On January 1, 2008 more than 1 in 100 adults in the United States was in prison or jail...Violent crime was not responsible for the quadrupling of the incarcerated population in the United States from 1980 to 2003....Perhaps the single greatest force behind the growth of the prison population has been the national "war on drugs." The number of incarcerated drug offenders has increased twelvefold since 1980." The sources of these statistics are found here: Incarceration in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-28-2011, 05:26 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,274,029 times
As long as YOU are living for free off of the taxpayers, I insist there be drug test on all welfare recipients and randoms, and while they are at it with every welfare check there should be required community service at least 20 hrs a week! I am a truck driver and must submit to drug testing before any good as well as random drug test while I am employed. This rediculous claim that the testing is against the recipients constitutional rights is retarded. It is against MY constitutional rights to be robbed of my paycheck to help support lazy, deadbeat welfare recipients. If you refuse the test you should automatically be withdrawn from the welfare program and face welfare fraud charges.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:15 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
As long as YOU are living for free off of the taxpayers, I insist there be drug test on all welfare recipients and randoms, and while they are at it with every welfare check there should be required community service at least 20 hrs a week! I am a truck driver and must submit to drug testing before any good as well as random drug test while I am employed. This rediculous claim that the testing is against the recipients constitutional rights is retarded. It is against MY constitutional rights to be robbed of my paycheck to help support lazy, deadbeat welfare recipients. If you refuse the test you should automatically be withdrawn from the welfare program and face welfare fraud charges.

But what if their job consists of working with drugs. Many poor folks grow marijuana, a drug that more then 50% of Americans think should be legal. If they are drug tested, they are going to lose that money. Like it or not, illegal drugs are part of the economy. Its a good that has demand, and people will make money on it.

The fact is that 93% of welfare recipients tested passed in Florida. We spent more on the tests then we got back on the savings.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:20 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Drug testing is, IMO, abuot 99% stupid and anyone who "insists" upon it should be taxed up the wazoo to support the cause.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:37 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Why only Long Island welfare recipients? Why not welfare recipients in NYC or Westchester or upstate?

Old 10-29-2011, 04:39 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue53 View Post
Of course but let's throw in WPA and forced sterilization.

not forced sterilization, but I would go with birth control.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:48 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
What about drug testing for a job? That's common these days....is that an invasion of privacy? No. The employer wants to make sure they are not hiring a drug addict, which is understandable, its their money. With welfare, they are taking my money....my tax dollars that I work for.....as a taxpayer, I have the right to demand that that money is being used wisely and not being handed out to a drug addict.

This is the part I'd like to figure out. It makes a lot of sense that taxpayer dollars should not be spent on drugs.

But there are many ways people obtain drugs without spending money. People often get free drugs from their boyfriend/girlfriend/drinking buddy/whatever. When I delivered pizzas, customers occasionally offered drugs as tips.

Is the objection that "welfare recipients shouldn't blow (no pun intended) taxpayer dollars on drugs" or "welfare recipients shouldn't be using drugs regardless of whether taxpayer dollars are involved"?

Old 10-29-2011, 05:01 AM

219 posts, read 541,657 times
If you want my money without offering a return on investment then I should be able to dictate the conditions for receipt.

----

I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids. General Jack D. Ripper (Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb)

Old 10-29-2011, 05:07 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtknight View Post
Any thoughts on drug testing welfare recipient's. I have been following the case in Florida and think this is not only a great idea but can not believe a judge has blocked the law. I would like to see it enacted here in PA. Most jobs require drug testing. How can the ones paying taxes be test but the state use our taxes to pay people who do not have to be tested.
Just do it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies