Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2010, 07:39 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times

Advertisements

Dozens charged with largest Medicare scam ever - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101014/ap_on_bi_ge/us_medicare_fraud_arrests - broken link)

Quote:
NEW YORK – A vast network of Armenian gangsters and their associates used phantom health care clinics and other means to try to cheat Medicare out of $163 million, the largest fraud by one criminal enterprise in the program's history, U.S. authorities said Wednesday.
Somebody refresh my memory...
Why do we want further government involvment in health care again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 07:46 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
A better question is why hasn't government cracked down on Medicare fraud until now. They've been there all along and it's going after these wholesale scammers that's going to save us a ton of money. Medicare in itself isn't the problem, it's the lack of checks and balances which the new health care bill tries to addresses.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:53 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
A better question is why hasn't government cracked down on Medicare fraud until now. They've been there all along and it's going after these wholesale scammers that's going to save us a ton of money.
Because government is ineffective and inefficient at policing itself.
You can read the story and get a warm fuzzy, but I'm thinking about the hundreds, maybe thousands of scams they haven't caught up with.

See, they pay first, chase later and then trumpet their success and in the end will recover only a fraction of what was scammed.If you think Obamacare won't get gamed, I have a bridge to sell you.
I wonder how much the whole investigative operation cost?

Last edited by Frank DeForrest; 10-14-2010 at 08:04 AM..

Old 10-14-2010, 07:53 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
So much of the Medicare fraud is by physicians and others who are not from the USA.

I think the whole world knows how easy it is and nothing stops them from wanting to get here and get in on these scams - it's like winning a lottery.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:36 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Dozens charged with largest Medicare scam ever - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101014/ap_on_bi_ge/us_medicare_fraud_arrests - broken link)

Somebody refresh my memory...
Why do we want further government involvment in health care again?
Because lack of government oversight made it easy for these criminal networks to grow and thrive?

Old 10-14-2010, 11:53 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
How many well know Doctors have been caught up in this scam. Most of us knows that this stuff go's on but wow, the people caught and the scope of the scam just wow. Look at how easy it is to get a criminal network going on. Medicare Fraud is nothing new, things should have been done way before this point. There are just so many individuals involved in the scope of this Fraudelent behavior, and how easy it was to assemble.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:57 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times
I guess the President was telling the truth when he said that they were going to really go after those committing fraud and abuse.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:01 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I guess the President was telling the truth when he said that they were going to really go after those committing fraud and abuse.
Haha.. I was wondering how long it would take before someone tried to give Obama credit for actions which have been going on for decades...

NEWS FLASH.. They are ALWAYS going after fraud and abuse.. it takes place DAILY.. Probably the reason these idiots got caught was because they sent out big red flare signals going.. "look at me committing this fraud!!"...

Yeah, thats like someone robbing the federal reserve while leaving their drivers license at the scene and then applauding the police for solving the case of the century.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:05 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Once a single payer Government health care system is established, the entire U.S. Health Care system can then be contracted out to Haliburton.

They will then be best able to maintain the appearance of proper functioning.

In other words, crime needs to be organized and then legalized.

It's the American way.

I think this was Hillary's proposal, if I'm not mistaken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies