Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 10:29 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,747,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBeautyGoodness View Post
I'm from Minnesota and because of our high taxes and investment in education we have a much better economy than any Tea Party loving southern state.
I don't know about that. Generally the southern states have a much stronger economy than the north, mainly because companies locate in those states because they are more pro-business and less controlled by labor unions.

Minnesota does pretty well, I think, mostly because the people there seem to be independent voters and not brainwashed by one party or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 10:59 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,930,778 times
I hope the OP comes back and updates us every year or two so we can see how/if his outlook and values change.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:24 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,130,059 times
"I'm 17 am I DON'T do drugs, smoke or drink and I'm not having sex"
You could fit in very well on the Relationship forum. Hopefully, you go to church...you do, don't you?

Old 10-15-2010, 11:37 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,255,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
"I'm 17 am I DON'T do drugs, smoke or drink and I'm not having sex"
You could fit in very well on the Relationship forum. Hopefully, you go to church...you do, don't you?
Denial of one bad habit only creates another.

He sounds nonsexical.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:40 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,107,669 times
liberals wish all 17 year old teens were on drugs, alcohol, and having sex.

That way they wouldn't feel guilty about their teen years.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:28 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,293,419 times
Default on the other hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
liberals wish all 17 year old teens were on drugs, alcohol, and having sex.

That way they wouldn't feel guilty about their teen years.
Conservatives wish there were more adult versions of the OP, because having an educated and sophisticated electorate that questions authority, and thinks for itself, is so inconvenient.

It is one thing for children to have these values (which I support) but quite another thing when it extends into adulthood, and becomes part of a political agenda to makes us all live like we were childlike wards of the state, instead of adult participants in a democracy, with constitutionally protected rights.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:36 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,461,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Common beliefs about today's teenagers are that we're all socially liberal, Democrats, do nothing but smoke marijuana, and drink and have sex. It really bothers me people assume that all teenagers are immature and irresponsible and are not interested in marriage or parenthood.

I really don't know if I'm in the minority or not, but I DON'T do any of the dangerous things I listed above. In fact, I'm the completely opposite of what people think of about teenagers. I have never done drugs, smoked or drank before EVER and I plan on staying that way, I made a commitment when I was younger to stay clean for as long as I live because my Dad has an addiction to alcohol and I believe marijuana? And I've seen at how it's affected him and have decided I don't want to end up like my Dad. My dad has gotten arrested multiple times for DUIs and drunk driving and getting into fights. Also, many students at my school, especially the older students waste their weekends by drinking beer, smoking marijuana and having s.e.x. How they don't get into trouble puzzles me. I've even been offered to try marijuana and of course I said 'no.' I'm proud of the fact I'm 100% clean and drug-free. There's more to life than partying and doing drugs. I don't understand why some think it's a bad thing to not be interested in these things.

Sex... I am a virgin, I'm waiting until marriage to have sex for my first time. I've even gotten myself a purity ring and now some people think I'm married because my purity ring looks like a wedding ring. Some classmates at my school have asked in the past if I've ever had sex before, I tell them no and they act completely shocked to the fact that I've never had sex. I don't know what's so weird about that. The reason I've chosen to remain abstinence until marriage is because of my religious beliefs (my religion is important to me) and I don't believe in sleeping around. Last year, my high school had 15-20 pregnant girls! There's also too high of a risk of catching an STD and getting a girl pregnant, I don't want to catch a disease at the age of 17 and I definitely don't want to become a Dad at 17 either, but I do want to have children later on, in my mid 20s or so.

Work... I have a job at Winn Dixie bagging foods, I like the job though and I like working because it gives me something to do and it's helping me to build up my savings. I save almost all of my income I earn and put it in my savings. But I do occasionally buy food from a restaurant or buy myself some clothes, but that's a rarity though. I'm thinking of getting another part time job somewhere.

Manners... I always try to say please and thank you to everyone. I hold doors open for people and I say 'sir' and 'ma'am' to adults.

In politics, I am NOT a Liberal or a Democrat. I am a Republican mainly because I agree with them more on certain social issues such as gay marriage and abortions, but I don't agree with them on taxes. Personally I think the Bush taxes on the wealthy need to expire, but the Republicans don't agree with that. I am also a Conservative, both fiscally and socially. I don't think gay marriage or gay adoption should be legal and I don't believe in abortion, which in my view is murder. Obama, in my opinion has not made a good president so far, he has not stuck with any of his promises he made during his Presidential campaign and think he said those things to get elected, but the time, I didn't realize it. Our economy is still in the tanks, it's not improving and is even getting worse again where I live.

Marriage ... getting married is an extremely important goal for me. I do want to get married young probably around ages 19-24. I believe in marriage being a lifelong union between two people unless it gets interrupted by adultery, abuse, or drunkenness, etc. It is my goal to have a happy and successful marriage, but unfortunately, the divorce rate is so high now, but I am someone who would be willing to work hard at working out my marital problems when I get married and not resort to divorce right away. I am unfortanetly a child of divorced parents, my parents divorced after 5 years of marriage when I was only 5 due to my Dad being physically abusive towards my mom. So I want to be a good husband to my future wife and take care of her and love her and have my kids grow up in a happy and stable household.

Parenthood... I hope to have kids sometimes in my mid 20s probably around 24 or so. I do definitely want to be married when I have children because I personally think having children out of wedlock is wrong. But I would like around 3 or 4 kids, 5 at the most and 2 the least. I like kids and I like playing with them and hanging out with them, they're really little cool people. I want to be a good Dad and always be there for my kids.

So, what I just wrote shows you that not ALL teens are a bunch immature spoiled brats, although a significant amount of them unfortunately are. The reason I wrote this is to explain to you that there are some good teens out in America and I think I'm one of them though I feel I'm in the small minority now. I am a hardworking person and my education is important to me and I hope that I will get far ahead in life.
Good for you! For so many reasons. It is usally really hard not to follow in your parent(s) footsteps. So again, good job!
There is nothing wrong with living your lifestyle. It is sad that nowadays when a teenager is polite, I am shocked. It should not be that way. But parents are mostly to blame. I get that sometimes no matter how hard the parents work with their kids, the outside world will take them down.
It seems like you are taking charge of your own life and working hard to live a good life.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:17 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,794,920 times
Actually you are not alone. There are plenty of 17 and 18 year olds who are still virgins, don't drink/smoke or use drugs. Some don't even overeat! I don't think this belongs on the Politics forum, in fact many such teens are liberal politically. But to look at teen movies, all young male teens are interested in is sex and alcohol.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:50 PM

13,562 posts, read 21,312,203 times
Good for you OP for being capt of your own ship. However I hope you vote in a way that allows others to make their own decisions like if they want to drink , smoke or have sex.

What is interesting though is some of who here champion his decision to not do that take every moment to tell how evil Islam is yet Islam is against drinking and drugs and sex....so what gives?

Just got to say I like drinking and sex and the freedom to smoke a bowl if I wanted to....so stay out of business!!!

Old 10-18-2010, 02:09 PM

9,879 posts, read 7,980,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post

Marriage ...

around 3 or 4 kids, 5 at the most and 2 the least.

The reason I wrote this is to explain to you that there are some good teens out in America and I think I'm one of them though I feel I'm in the small minority now. I am a hardworking person and my education is important to me and I hope that I will get far ahead in life.
I'm sure you will get very far in life
No, your not a minority - there are many great teens out there - unfortunately you all just don't go to the same school

May life bring you nothing but happiness. The five kids thing - I'd rethink that one
26-30 is a better marrying age - just my two cents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies