Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 09:29 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,681,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
That's right. God did. And he said one man and one woman. And He is the sole decision maker.
As soon as he gets his lazy butt down here and tells us in person, then maybe we'll listen. Until then, he doesn't exist.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:39 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,615,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
As soon as he gets his lazy butt down here and tells us in person, then maybe we'll listen. Until then, he doesn't exist.
He gave you all of creation to look at and see. But if that's not enough, he gave you a Bible consisting of 66 books. I honestly think that if he did show up at your door tomorrow morning you'd still disbelieve.

Honestly...if you weren't so anti-religion it would be easy to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
ROFL! Uhm no, your little totem deity didn't invent marriage.
My God is the Creator of the universe. He created Adam and Eve and declared them married.
Quote:
Your god, like your Bible were/are man-made inventions themselves, mostly plagiarized from earlier gods and religious texts of the Mesopotamians and Egyptians.
Actually, he predates the Mesopotamians and the Egyptians.
Quote:

Marriage was around long before your god or your Bible was ever dreamt of.
The first humans were married, yes. The Bible was written down some time later...but God was there at the beginning.
Quote:
And it wasn't always between a man and a woman. Even the early Christian church performed same sex marriages on occasion.
The Christian church did no such thing. I'm sure you can find some hazy references to it...but I believe that to be about as Christian as the Gospel of Thomas, which was written by gnostics.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:22 AM

46,948 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
If it wasn't recorded, how do YOU know about it?
Because we have primary sources telling of marriage in times past. Odysseus & Penelope didn't have a written record, yet they were very much considered a married couple. The old Greeks listening to the Odyssey wouldn't have been able to make heads and tails of the story if they hadn't known and recognized the concept of marriage, rights of inheritance etc. (Of course when we listen to the story, we tend to only recognize the parts of marriage we share with the old Greeks. For instance, Odysseus wasn't faithful to Penelope nor was he expected to be.)

Old 10-18-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Last I checked we still had a First Amendement in this country that allowed Christians to voice their opinion just as freely as anyone else.
Oh, for heaven's sake. (Sorry.) Nobody is telling you you can't voice your opinion. You have every right to waste electrons on propagating your delusional idea that your specific values are eternal and universal. Just don't expect preferential treatment. I know you've been used to it, and it's tough to lose one's status as a de facto privileged group. But I suggest you deal.

Quote:
You don't have to like it but it does show they hypocrisy of the gay marriage advocates trying to get special rights as a special interest group while attempting to quell the rights of others in society.
What rights of yours are being quelled? Specific examples?

Quote:
Homosexuals can currently marry, just not someone of the same gender. In that way everyone is equal in regard to marriage.
Hey-hey-hey, we get the 1950s argument again. Everybody can marry somebody of the same skin color, so how can anti-miscegeny laws be discriminatory? Everyone is equal.

How about we let consenting adults marry the person they love? Wild, I know. You're going to lose this one, guys. Really, you are.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
The Christian church did no such thing. I'm sure you can find some hazy references to it...but I believe that to be about as Christian as the Gospel of Thomas, which was written by gnostics.
They weren't real Scotsmen...

Old 10-18-2010, 10:35 AM

294 posts, read 351,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
That Christ, yeah, first I want to see the patent registration, then lets have a look at his "birth certificate". It would be quite interesting to see the symbolism for gay marriage, heterosexuals have the ring, do gay men need to buy a ring a few sizes too small and wear it on their thumb, lesbians, maybe a loli-pop ring with the candy center between the fingers? Instead of giving away the bride, do the parents just come down to reject them? Instead of stomping on a glass, maybe there's a karate chop to the vibrator?

Old 10-18-2010, 10:40 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,943,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Oh, for heaven's sake. (Sorry.) Nobody is telling you you can't voice your opinion. You have every right to waste electrons on propagating your delusional idea that your specific values are eternal and universal. Just don't expect preferential treatment. I know you've been used to it, and it's tough to lose one's status as a de facto privileged group. But I suggest you deal.

What rights of yours are being quelled? Specific examples?

Hey-hey-hey, we get the 1950s argument again. Everybody can marry somebody of the same skin color, so how can anti-miscegeny laws be discriminatory? Everyone is equal.

How about we let consenting adults marry the person they love? Wild, I know. You're going to lose this one, guys. Really, you are.
then polygamy should be legalized too if that is the only reason your going on

Old 10-18-2010, 10:40 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,799,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickasarbata View Post
So stop trying to claim it as your own and use that argument to argue why gay people should not be allowed to marry!

Marriage has been around a lot longer than Christianity! It isn't yours to control!

(I get so frustrated every time I hear Christian leaders talking about the "institution of marriage." You're defining the Christian idea of marriage. But it's not your institution to be the sole decision-makers of!)

I'm amazed that more of the people who believe in the rights of those who desire to marry a person of the same sex
don't dwell upon another issue that is involved here, the separation of church and state. We've seen fit to allow the liberals
to take God out of the classroom but yet we keep God at the forefront of the gay marriage issue. Isn't this a bit of a double
standard, a hypocrisy of sorts, like having your bread buttered on both sides?

Old 10-18-2010, 10:43 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,615,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
They weren't real Scotsmen...
Perhaps they weren't. It would seem logical that a true Scotsman would be able to define what one is though. Instead of some ignorant Frenchman.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:44 AM

rikensuire, that was an - interesting - peek into your mind. You should consider approaching the subject of relationships from an angle that isn't purely focused on carnal gratification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies