U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 12:26 PM

11,456 posts, read 12,690,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Miller’s pomposity and piety with regard to government aid programs has all along been in line with the usual screechingly hysterical self-righteousness Tea Party candidates bring to such matters, railing against Obamacare and other “entitlement” programs and promising to end the “welfare state.” That makes it all the more delicious now that he and his family have been exposed for taking state medical aid, unemployment insurance, farm subsidies, hell, even for using state equipment to run a private political campaign.
Quote:
I can’t even tell you how many people I interviewed at Tea Party events who came up with one version or another of the Joe Miller defense. Yes, I’m on Medicare, but… I needed it! It’s those other people who don’t need it who are the problem!

Or: Yes, it’s true, I retired from the police/military/DPW at 54 and am on a fat government pension that you and your kids are going to be paying for for the next forty years, while I sit in my plywood-paneled living room in Florida watching Fox News, gobbling Medicare-funded prescription medications, and railing against welfare queens. But I worked hard for those bennies! Not like those other people!
Quote:

These are the parasites they’re probably talking about. You know, children. Meanwhile, a slick grownup yuppie politician with a GI Joe beard and a breeder wife and eight kids, leeching off the state at every turn and gunning for a U.S. Senate salary and pension on an anti-welfare platform, he’s just a hardworking citizen who simply needed a lift during a “transitional” period. Man, did they break the mold when they made these *******s.
More Tea Party Hilarity -- RollingStone.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 12:27 PM

15,587 posts, read 23,130,390 times
What is hilarious is you think Rolling Stone is a reputable unbiased political news magazine.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:30 PM

2,564 posts, read 1,290,793 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10RDIgt7LAA

Old 10-17-2010, 12:35 PM

11,456 posts, read 12,690,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
What is hilarious is you think Rolling Stone is a reputable unbiased political news magazine.
It's an opinion piece, and nowhere in my original post did I make that claim; although that's irrelevant anyway.

However the sheer hypocrisy of the 'baggers is quite a reality. Obviously you didn't read the article, instead you choose to talk about where it was published.

Why not try reading (for a change) and the provide an opinion. Try something new?

Old 10-17-2010, 12:50 PM

5,763 posts, read 4,340,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
It's an opinion piece, and nowhere in my original post did I make that claim; although that's irrelevant anyway.

However the sheer hypocrisy of the 'baggers is quite a reality. Obviously you didn't read the article, instead you choose to talk about where it was published.

Why not try reading (for a change) and the provide an opinion. Try something new?

They can't grasp hypocrisy; the nuances are lost on them. They support people who have essentially told them: "We promise not to work with the Democrats to pull the U.S. out of hock, but we'll be taking our paychecks and our families will continue to use the great health care we're provided."
Duh!

Old 10-17-2010, 12:52 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,290,637 times
Quote:
Rolling Stone has come out with some excellent articles on the financial fiasco on Wall Street and among the banksters.

Expand your mind and read more variety. It may enlighten you.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:08 PM

30,390 posts, read 20,021,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post

Reality?

Reality is the fact Democrats refuse to pass a budget before the midterm elections because they don't want voters to get sticker shock when the real price of all that liberal compassion and Keynesian New Dealery becomes known.

Reality is the bloodbath all the polls are predicting because the issues people care about are spending, deficits and tax increases that are just around the corner.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:24 PM

4,406 posts, read 5,453,290 times
Quote:
You're not a successful arguer are you? You are biased, very biased from the tone of your other posts. Why would your opinion be considered here?

Mr. Miller is embarrassing his home state as much as Palin does. The hypocrisy of all of the Tea Party candidates is pretty astounding. They don't even attempt to discredit it, they just hope nobody else notices.

But then this is to be expected from any political party. And, yes, I'm elevating the Tea Party to political party status because they are the product of our corporatocracy. Grass-roots? Not in a million years.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:36 PM

4,406 posts, read 5,453,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Reality?

Reality is the fact Democrats refuse to pass a budget before the midterm elections because they don't want voters to get sticker shock when the real price of all that liberal compassion and Keynesian New Dealery becomes known.

Reality is the bloodbath all the polls are predicting because the issues people care about are spending, deficits and tax increases that are just around the corner.
Reality is that what you're describing is the typical political maneuvering that precedes all nationwide elections. Yes, the economy is the number one issue on most people's minds right now, but the tactic you appear to be opposing has so many historical precedents by both parties.

Reality, however, is not the bloodbath because the election hasn't happened yet. We don't know what will happen. We're stuck yet again picking the lesser of two evils and those evils seem to get worse and worse with each election.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:58 PM

7,090 posts, read 10,736,322 times
It's always funny watching people complain about everyone else getting the benefits they enjoy.

I always wonder what would happen if they got their wish, and realize if they got rid of Medicare and Social Security for everyone...they won't suddenly get an exemption to "everyone".

I had some ******** rant about how any welfare program should be taken away from those mooches at the grocery store. I asked him how long he could survive without his O2 tank, motorized wheelchair, Social Security check, and medications that keep him alive. His response "Well, I don't mean me!". I reminded him that he said take it away from "everyone", and he is part of everyone. He muttered some curse and motored away.

I swear, some people are dumb enough to cull themselves form the gene pool...but not active enough to win a Darwin Award.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies