Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2010, 01:25 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,033 times

Advertisements

How Tea Partiers Get the Constitution Wrong - Newsweek

If Tea Partiers are really about defending the constitution from Obama, why do they want to change so much of it? Why do they want to delete the parts they don't like (14th Amendment) and add things to it that aren't there?

Just goes to show you, you can't believe campaign rhetoric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 01:30 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,211,931 times
And to think, Jane Harman's husband paid a US buck to buy Newsweek... the company ...for the privilege of taking on it's debt.

And every news week he loses money on it.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:49 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,052,033 times
Any fundamentalist will do this, which is funny.

They rant about their idiosyncratic interpretation of the text as being the right way.

Then they gloss over anything that contradicts it, centuries of interpretations, or change anything too far at odds with their ideology. Which is exactly their complaint with what other people have done to their sacred text to deviate from the ideological purity they wish to go back to.

It's also a guarantee that fundy loons will never see the hilarity of this dichotomy. No matter how many times you mock them for it.

Old 10-17-2010, 02:01 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,910,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Why do they want to delete the parts they don't like (14th Amendment)
Just like prohibition was started with an amendment, it was ended with the exact same process. If the Tea Party wants to change the 14th Amendment to stop anchor babies, then it goes through the same process the 14th Amendment did. Sometimes that takes months while other times it takes decades to ratify.

Quote:
and add things to it that aren't there?
Please cite examples.

Interesting article. After wading through the obvious anti-Tea Party bias, I did learn something. I knew that Scalia and Thomas were originalists from my reading and seeing recorded debates but I had know idea that Thomas was considered a "radical" originalist. I like him even more now that I know his views are more in line with mine.

Old 10-17-2010, 02:16 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Just like prohibition was started with an amendment, it was ended with the exact same process. If the Tea Party wants to change the 14th Amendment to stop anchor babies, then it goes through the same process the 14th Amendment did. Sometimes that takes months while other times it takes decades to ratify.

Please cite examples.

Interesting article. After wading through the obvious anti-Tea Party bias, I did learn something. I knew that Scalia and Thomas were originalists from my reading and seeing recorded debates but I had know idea that Thomas was considered a "radical" originalist. I like him even more now that I know his views are more in line with mine.
"In the current Congress, conservatives like Michele Bachmann have suggested more than 40 additions to the Constitution: a flag-desecration amendment; a balanced-budget amendment; a “parental rights” amendment; a supermajority-to-raise-taxes amendment; anti-abortion amendment; an anti-gay-marriage amendment; and so on. None of these revisions has anything to do with the document’s original meaning."

Old 10-17-2010, 02:32 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,910,218 times
Quote:
None of these revisions has anything to do with the document’s original meaning."
I agree 100%. She can start the amendment process on all of those for all I care. The only one that will get any traction is probably the balanced budget one. The others probably won't make it past the first step of the process.

Old 10-17-2010, 02:38 PM

2,564 posts, read 1,595,688 times
Quote:
How Tea Partiers Get the Constitution Wrong - Newsweek

If Tea Partiers are really about defending the constitution from Obama, why do they want to change so much of it? Why do they want to delete the parts they don't like (14th Amendment) and add things to it that aren't there?

Just goes to show you, you can't believe campaign rhetoric.
Well said. At best, Tea Partiers are cafeteria Constitutionalists and pick and choose the parts they like and discard the parts they don't like. At worst, Tea Partiers are subversive anarchists that want to overthrow the government of Our Founding Fathers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies