Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 06:58 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your.Decision View Post
...I guess my post didn't warrant a proper response?
So how do you know what you claim? I believe everyone except a very few are born as hetrosexual, I believe sometime during our lives that events shape us and some people get confused, maybe from a bad relationship or whatever, Maybe the opposite sex teased that person or maybe that person is just over emotional and confused. Born that way? I doubt it very much, mental disorder? most likely. Just because Hollywood decides it's ok doesn't make it so and just because the A.P.A. is lobbied to remove the mental disorder from it's list doesn't mean it's proof of anything it's called political pressure. I don't tell others what to believe but on the same note I don't let others tell me what to believe, my opinions are based on facts or the lack of facts and common sense and I see not one single bit of hard evidence of anyone being born Homosexual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 08:04 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Because I am gay and can't remember a time that I wasn't. It's not about belief, it's just about knowing who I am.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:09 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Everyone has emotional or psychological things that factor into their sexuality. Sexuality is defined by many things, but that doesn't mean that whatever results from it is a choice. For example, some people are born with a disability, and some people acquire a disability later in life due to environmental causes, and some people have a disability that is partially biological, partially environmental. But that doesn't make their disability any more of a choice than those who are born with the same disability. The same goes for homosexuality. Even if it is environmental or psychological, in whole or in part, that doesn't necessarily mean it's a choice.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:16 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Everyone has emotional or psychological things that factor into their sexuality. Sexuality is defined by many things, but that doesn't mean that whatever results from it is a choice. For example, some people are born with a disability, and some people acquire a disability later in life due to environmental causes, and some people have a disability that is partially biological, partially environmental. But that doesn't make their disability any more of a choice than those who are born with the same disability. The same goes for homosexuality. Even if it is environmental or psychological, in whole or in part, that doesn't necessarily mean it's a choice.
Exactly

As I asked another poster who insists on labeling homosexuality as unnatural - so what if it is? I don't personally label it as such, just to be clear. But so what? And so what if the person wasn't born that way, but instead something happened in nature or nurture that turned them that way? It's clear that whatever the cause, most people know what gender they are attracted to by the time they develop sexual attraction. It's not something they are free to change or switch back to their "born straight" condition (if that were even the case). Shouldn't we still treat them decently?

Do people who insist on these arguments wish to institutionalize gays? Stigmatize them? Just what is their motive with their "gays aren't born that way" argument?

Old 10-17-2010, 08:21 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I believe everyone except a very few are born as hetrosexual
Which few aren't? What are those few born as? Why are they born the way they are? What's your evidence?

Quote:
I believe sometime during our lives that events shape us and some people get confused, maybe from a bad relationship or whatever, Maybe the opposite sex teased that person or maybe that person is just over emotional and confused. Born that way? I doubt it very much
Can you offer a theory or hypothesis as to how such things change a person so that he or she converts from being heterosexual or "normal" (you did say nearly all people are born heterosexual) into a homosexual? In other words, what biological mechanism changes a personal from desiring men to desiring women (or vice-versa)? Is such a change permantent, or can it be reversed?

Quote:
mental disorder? most likely.
First, would you please define what you mean by mental disorder.

How does the mental disorder of homosexuality prevent or diminish the ability of homosexuals to relate to others or performing normal daily functions?

If it is in fact a mental disorder, does that justify discrimination?

Quote:
Just because Hollywood decides it's ok doesn't make it so
Hollywood - seriously? What's making homosexuality accepted is homosexuals coming out of the closet and sharing their stories. People who either have a gay family member or who have a good friend come out as gay are much, much, much more likely to see the truth about homosexuality and give up long held, religious based misconceptions.

Quote:
and just because the A.P.A. is lobbied to remove the mental disorder from it's list doesn't mean it's proof of anything it's called political pressure.
Haha - talk about revisionist history. Care to give us a history lesson on how the APA's view on homosexuality changed?

Quote:
my opinions are based on facts or the lack of facts and common sense and. I see not one single bit of hard evidence of anyone being born Homosexual.
If you're basing your conclusion of of the lack of evidence pointing to a biological basis for homosexuality, that's your fault for being glaringly ignorant on the subject. Essentially ALL the evidence supports that conclusion.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:53 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post

How does the mental disorder of homosexuality prevent or diminish the ability of homosexuals to relate to others or performing normal daily functions?

Haha - talk about revisionist history. Care to give us a history lesson on how the APA's view on homosexuality changed?

If you're basing your conclusion of of the lack of evidence pointing to a biological basis for homosexuality, that's your fault for being glaringly ignorant on the subject. Essentially ALL the evidence supports that conclusion.

Your mental disorder is gender confusion, simple and I never said it diminshes any ability, you said that.
You can search yourself to find the APA was pettitioned to remove homosexuality from their list of disorders, it's no secret.
there is not 1 bit of physical evedence that you are born that way, it is opinion and theory which is the same as opinion.
I love how you call people names when you upset. by the way just because I believe it's a mental disorder doesn't mean I expect you to believe it, I don't force my belief on anyone.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:01 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,943,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Which few aren't? What are those few born as? Why are they born the way they are? What's your evidence?

Can you offer a theory or hypothesis as to how such things change a person so that he or she converts from being heterosexual or "normal" (you did say nearly all people are born heterosexual) into a homosexual? In other words, what biological mechanism changes a personal from desiring men to desiring women (or vice-versa)? Is such a change permantent, or can it be reversed?

Hollywood - seriously? What's making homosexuality accepted is homosexuals coming out of the closet and sharing their stories. People who either have a gay family member or who have a good friend come out as gay are much, much, much more likely to see the truth about homosexuality and give up long held, religious based misconceptions.

it still has not been proven that homosexuals are born that way. say what you want its still not a proven fact.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:10 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
it still has not been proven that homosexuals are born that way. say what you want its still not a proven fact.
And actually, there is no conclusive proof either way.-shrugs-

Last edited by kshe95girl; 10-17-2010 at 09:19 PM..

Old 10-17-2010, 09:14 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Your mental disorder is gender confusion, simple and I never said it diminshes any ability, you said that.
I asked you to define what a mental disorder is generally, not what broader category of mental disorder you believe homosexuality falls into.

I asked what I did for a reason. You don't seem to know what a mental disorder is. The most accepted definition of "mental disorder" or "mental illness" is a condition effecting a person's thinking or feeling such that it prevents or diminishes his or her ability to relate to others or preform daily functions.

So again, how does homosexuality prevent or diminish the afflicted homosexual from relating to others or preforming normal functions? If it doesn't, then it's NOT A MENTAL DISORDER. It's just a different type of person.

Quote:
You can search yourself to find the APA was pettitioned to remove homosexuality from their list of disorders, it's no secret.
In doing so, they reference a mountain of scientific, clinical, and medical evidence.

Quote:
there is not 1 bit of physical evedence that you are born that way, it is opinion and theory which is the same as opinion.
There's tons of evidence that homosexuality is 100% biologically determined (in other words no choice) - in fact just about ALL the evidence supports that (more specifically a multigenetic basis greatly influenced by environmental factors such as hormonal exposure in the womb). You're correct in the sense that there's no certainty as to exactly when it become biologically set (in the womb, at birth, a few months old, etc, etc).

Quote:
I love how you call people names when you upset.
I didn't call you a name.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:17 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I personally do not believe that people are "born" homosexual, it's just a feeling I have, I believe that there is a cause for homosexuality. If people are born gay, does that mean that pedophiles are born to be pedophiles? Does this also mean that people who are sexually attracted to their blood related members are born to have incest or are people born to be sexually attracted to animals or corpses? If people start thinking that, does this mean we'll have to accept people who molest children or people who have sex with animals? Right now those sexual thoughts except for homosexuality are considered to be mental disorders, sexual disorders and deviant. Homosexuality used to be considered sick and deviant as well, why isn't it anymore?

Give me an explanation as to WHY you think homosexuals are born homosexual and why you are so certain that people are born as homosexuals.

well there you go!
no need for studies and research

You have a feeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies