Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2010, 03:50 PM

15,701 posts, read 17,032,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Report it as a duplicate thread. I did.

I am reletively new to this board. I see comments like this all the time and just don't understand it.

People conplain about duplicate threads..........and then you have people complain about people bringing old threads back to life. How old is too old? One month, six months, two years, three years?

New people and veterans alike may have missed the topic the first time around and may want to participate in a discussion of the topic now.

If a message board wants a subject discussed once, and once only........that message board would soon become extinct. One small defined group of people discussing a topic one time and that is it.........that would certainly stop any newcomers from joining this board.

If someone sees a topic being discussed that they have seen before, all they have to do is move on and let the people that would like to discuss that topic now do so.

If someone starts a thread that is repetative and no one shows interest because of it, that thread will die a swift death all by itself.

I just don't get it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 03:58 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,653,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I am reletively new to this board. I see comments like this all the time and just don't understand it.

People conplain about duplicate threads..........and then you have people complain about people bringing old threads back to life. How old is too old? One month, six months, two years, three years?

New people and veterans alike may have missed the topic the first time around and may want to participate in a discussion of the topic now.

If a message board wants a subject discussed once, and once only........that message board would soon become extinct. One small defined group of people discussing a topic one time and that is it.........that would certainly stop any newcomers from joining this board.

If someone sees a topic being discussed that they have seen before, all they have to do is move on and let the people that would like to discuss that topic now do so.

If someone starts a thread that is repetative and no one shows interest because of it, that thread will die a swift death all by itself.

I just don't get it?
The duplicate thread was two lines below this one.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:11 PM

15,701 posts, read 17,032,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The duplicate thread was two lines below this one.

Well, I missed it.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:13 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,552,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Men in prisons do that out of convenience.
I realize sexual urges don’t end with incarceration, but I have always questioned how a straight man could actually engage in gay sex, even under those circumstances. They should be allowed to purchase anatomically correct inflatable dolls, or other alternatives to relieve their sexual tensions. As a heterosexual woman, I have zero sexual attraction to women, so I would be interested in hearing how they reconcile this.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:16 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,631,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Wrong. Nature's number 1 goal is SPECIES PRESERVATION. Do you know how to go about ensuring that? Yep, you guessed it. REPRODUCTION! Tell me one species on the planet that is not interested in reproduction and I will point out that same species on the extinct chart.
And I'm differentiating between individuals and the species as a whole. Our primary instinct is SELF-preservation, we don't all care about continuing anyone's life but our own.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:18 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,631,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Um, yeah. That's what I was linking to but you flat out rejected that. Erik Erikson Stages of Development
Spoiler
Adolescence: 12 to 18 Years

Ego Development Outcome: Identity vs. Role Confusion

Basic Strengths: Devotion and Fidelity

Up to this stage, according to Erikson, development mostly depends upon what is done to us. From here on out, development depends primarily upon what we do. And while adolescence is a stage at which we are neither a child nor an adult, life is definitely getting more complex as we attempt to find our own identity, struggle with social interactions, and grapple with moral issues.

Our task is to discover who we are as individuals separate from our family of origin and as members of a wider society. Unfortunately for those around us, in this process many of us go into a period of withdrawing from responsibilities, which Erikson called a "moratorium." And if we are unsuccessful in navigating this stage, we will experience role confusion and upheaval.

A significant task for us is to establish a philosophy of life and in this process we tend to think in terms of ideals, which are conflict free, rather than reality, which is not. The problem is that we don't have much experience and find it easy to substitute ideals for experience. However, we can also develop strong devotion to friends and causes.

It is no surprise that our most significant relationships are with peer groups.

It is true that Erikson wrote that several decades ago but, if anything, it is more true today that ever. It is just that it probably occurs earlier today, with the greater exposure to sexuality by young people. Probably today it is much closer to 12 than it is to 18.
I probably "knew" I was heterosexual around the age of 10--but it wasn't a "choice", it just was.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:46 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,510,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I personally do not believe that people are "born" homosexual, it's just a feeling I have, I believe that there is a cause for homosexuality. If people are born gay, does that mean that pedophiles are born to be pedophiles? Does this also mean that people who are sexually attracted to their blood related members are born to have incest or are people born to be sexually attracted to animals or corpses? If people start thinking that, does this mean we'll have to accept people who molest children or people who have sex with animals? Right now those sexual thoughts except for homosexuality are considered to be mental disorders, sexual disorders and deviant. Homosexuality used to be considered sick and deviant as well, why isn't it anymore?

Give me an explanation as to WHY you think homosexuals are born homosexual and why you are so certain that people are born as homosexuals.
Give me a break with these obsessive gay threads.....it's like a broken record that's stuck in the same spot.....grow up and move on. Does it mean that pedophiles are born to be pedophiles and straight people are born to be straight....so male pedophiles that go after young girls are like all straight people according to your convoluted logic.

Noone really cares why you think people are gay...unless you yourself are gay you really are just grasping at straws and obviously not reading the scientific literature and/or conversing on an intellectual and respectful level with gay people. When you start trouble making threads like this one you...IMO....destroy any useful dialogue and are simply bashing and personally attacking myself and other gay posters for sport apparently.

IF you had asked a legitimate question WITHOUT all the insulting innuendos....I would gladly talk to you; however that is not what you seek by the condescending nature of your opening post. I'll post the scientific FACTS from the American Psychiatric and Psychological Associations....which consist of the consensus of tens of thousands of highly educated professionals; but I assume you are better educated then these professionals:rolley es:.

Sexual orientation, homosexuality and bisexuality

Gay Is Okay With APA (American Psychiatric Association) (http://www.soulforce.org/article/642 - broken link)

Official Statement Concerning Homosexuality from the American Psychological Association | CLGS

Being gay stems from genetic factors as well as the mother's hormone levels while the fetus is within the womb......environmental factors may also play a role but IMO...since we mostly(almost exclusively) have straight parents and are raised in a heterosexual dominated society.....obviously the environment plays NO real role in this...otherwise there would be NO gay people...... PS.....I've NOT seen you post once except for your opening thread/post.....this tells me all I need to know about your TRUE INTENT HERE!

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 10-18-2010 at 08:39 PM..

Old 10-18-2010, 07:58 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,548,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Your mental disorder is gender confusion, simple and I never said it diminshes any ability, you said that.
You can search yourself to find the APA was pettitioned to remove homosexuality from their list of disorders, it's no secret.
there is not 1 bit of physical evedence that you are born that way, it is opinion and theory which is the same as opinion.
I love how you call people names when you upset. by the way just because I believe it's a mental disorder doesn't mean I expect you to believe it, I don't force my belief on anyone.
Wrong...

There is plenty of evidence that homosexuality is innate or genetic:

Born Gay?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...NhrCZA&cad=rja

The Real Story on Gay Genes
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...C1esAQ&cad=rja

Etiology of Male Homosexuality
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...fUdqFg&cad=rja

Some of it is even physical (I verified the information in the article below on a couple of gay co-workers and found it to be a reliable indicator):

Your Finger Length and Your Sexual Preference

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...vk7q7A&cad=rja

Then there is the fact that homosexuality is also found in the animal world. Does a gay deer choose to be gay? Does a gay deer become gay as a result of a bad influence? Do you see how silly this sounds?

When are people going to get it through their thick heads that human beings are just animals with highly developed brains? The same things that go wrong with them also go wrong with us. We are made of the same flesh and blood and our existence is finite just like theirs. When the relics and contamination of the Abrahamic faiths are finally cast off as the dead weight that they are everyone will see this clearly enough. Until then, mankind will stumble through its infancy.

"All truth goes through three stages. First it is ridiculed. Second it is violently opposed. Finally it is accepted as self evident."
--Arthur Schopenhauer

Last edited by Zekester; 10-18-2010 at 08:09 PM..

Old 10-18-2010, 07:59 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,625,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I personally do not believe that people are "born" homosexual, it's just a feeling I have, I believe that there is a cause for homosexuality. If people are born gay, does that mean that pedophiles are born to be pedophiles? Does this also mean that people who are sexually attracted to their blood related members are born to have incest or are people born to be sexually attracted to animals or corpses? If people start thinking that, does this mean we'll have to accept people who molest children or people who have sex with animals? Right now those sexual thoughts except for homosexuality are considered to be mental disorders, sexual disorders and deviant. Homosexuality used to be considered sick and deviant as well, why isn't it anymore?

Give me an explanation as to WHY you think homosexuals are born homosexual and why you are so certain that people are born as homosexuals.

Oh brother...........not another "why are gays like this" thread. OK, well here are a few questions for you.

Why are you straight?
Why are blacks BLACK?
Why do Asians have slanted eyes?
Why do dogs bark?
Why do we have 2 eyes, ears, limbs and nuts?
Why do we have either blue, brown, hazel or green eyes?
Why are short people short and tall people tall?

BECAUSE THEY ARE BORN THAT WAY.......PLAIN AND SIMPLE

Now a few more questions.............
How do you know for sure your Straight?
Why do people like you CARE enough to keep asking these STUPID questions?

Old 10-18-2010, 08:10 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,341,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
Wrong...

There is plenty of evidence that homosexuality is innate or genetic:

Born Gay?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...NhrCZA&cad=rja

The Real Story on Gay Genes
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...C1esAQ&cad=rja

Etiology of Male Homosexuality
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...fUdqFg&cad=rja

Some of it is even physical: (I verified this on a couple of gay co-workers and found it to be reliable.)

Your Finger Length and Your Sexual Preference

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...vk7q7A&cad=rja

Then there is the fact that homosexuality is also found in the animal world. Does a gay deer choose to be gay? Does a gay deer become gay as a result of a bad influence? Do you see how silly this sounds?

When are people going to get it through their thick heads that human beings are just animals with highly developed brains? The same things that go wrong with them also go wrong with us. We are made of the same flesh and blood and our existence is finite just like theirs. When the relics and contamination of the Abrahamic faiths are finally cast off as the dead weight that they are everyone will see this clearly enough. Until then, mankind will stumble through its infancy.

"All truth goes through three stages. First it is ridiculed. Second it is violently opposed. Finally it is accepted as self evident."
--Arthur Schopenhauer
I would go back and read your links, they are filled with "I think" and opinion, there is not one shread of evidence of a Homo gene, your stretching.
Animals lic their butts too, maybe you want to try it.
You can believe what you want I never try to force my belief on anyone but you and everybody else has no evidence what so ever that homosexuals are born that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies