Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 01:16 AM

2,409 posts, read 3,041,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Where are you coming from on this issue? You clearly seem to think homosexuality is some sort of abnormal disease in need of treatment.

I think that's a disgusting attitude. I've been a homosexual as long as I can remember. There is nothing wrong with me being a homosexual. I'd be unhappy if I weren't homosexual. Nothing about me needs to be "fixed" or "treated".

Ahhhhh so you're a homosexual yourself. No wonder you hold the views you do. Can you say revisionist biology?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 01:27 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,732,811 times
Default ~~~*~~~

I've been gay for as long as I can remember and so are many on my mother's side of the family. If I could chose, I would probably chose to be gay because I wouldn't want all of the inhabitions that some straight people seem to have. It was never a choice for me, the attraction was always there. If more people were educated about this there would be less abuse to children growing up with the realization that they are gay. There is nothing wrong with being gay.
I have a wonderful life partner of over 15 years and we are very happy. We live in an area where we are accepted by everyone.
Life is good.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:59 AM

1 posts, read 901 times
Are all people born heterosexual? I believe many, not all, people think so. If so, what happened to the people who didn't stay that way? What determines a person's attraction to other people of the same sex or opposite sex? Obviously, there are differences there which are evidenced by people's behavior. I don't have the answers but, I also don't think the answers are as simple as most people would like them to be. People like simple answers, it's easy and doesn't require much brainpower. Black and white is easier than gray, but most everything in life is gray, isn't it. Why not this? So, before you draw any conclusions, make sure you have solid proof to support your arguement or you might end up looking very foolish.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:17 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I personally do not believe that people are "born" homosexual, it's just a feeling I have, I believe that there is a cause for homosexuality. If people are born gay, does that mean that pedophiles are born to be pedophiles? Does this also mean that people who are sexually attracted to their blood related members are born to have incest or are people born to be sexually attracted to animals or corpses? If people start thinking that, does this mean we'll have to accept people who molest children or people who have sex with animals? Right now those sexual thoughts except for homosexuality are considered to be mental disorders, sexual disorders and deviant. Homosexuality used to be considered sick and deviant as well, why isn't it anymore?

Give me an explanation as to WHY you think homosexuals are born homosexual and why you are so certain that people are born as homosexuals.
Here are some reliable information sources. By reliable, I mean major health organisations, respected scientists etc, not religious-based websites.

Sexual orientation, homosexuality and bisexuality

Sexual Orientation and Adolescents -- Frankowski and and Committee on Adolescence 113 (6): 1827 -- AAP Policy

Homosexuality and Mental Health

Facts About Homosexuality and Child Molestation

Old 03-06-2011, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I came to the born gay(sort of) conclusion since I have yet to see a gay person become straight. There are stories of gays going to pastors to help them get rid of their "sinful" sexual desires, but at the same breath they still have gay thoughts. Plus there are cases of animals being involve in homosexual activity. Since we humans are biologically animals too, then that means we are not immune. Even the mentally challenged can have gay urges.

Also I don't necessarily believe someone is born gay, but rather a person's sexual orientation is determined at an early age when the person develops butterflies for another human being or conscious enough to know the difference between male and female. As humans when we're born, are brains aren't developed enough to know what we like or prefer. I think between the ages 5 and 12 is when most humans know what sex they exclusively like or like best.
The general consensus among scientistis is that there is a strong biological basis for sexual orientation which includes a genetic component and hormones in the uterine environment. Studies have shown that there are a range of physiological differeces like brain structure, reaction to pheromones etc.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
So how do you know what you claim? I believe everyone except a very few are born as hetrosexual, I believe sometime during our lives that events shape us and some people get confused, maybe from a bad relationship or whatever, Maybe the opposite sex teased that person or maybe that person is just over emotional and confused. Born that way? I doubt it very much, mental disorder? most likely. Just because Hollywood decides it's ok doesn't make it so and just because the A.P.A. is lobbied to remove the mental disorder from it's list doesn't mean it's proof of anything it's called political pressure. I don't tell others what to believe but on the same note I don't let others tell me what to believe, my opinions are based on facts or the lack of facts and common sense and I see not one single bit of hard evidence of anyone being born Homosexual.
From the American Academy of Pediatrics:
Quote:
Although there continues to be controversy and uncertainty as to the genesis of the variety of human sexual orientations, there is no scientific evidence that abnormal parenting, sexual abuse, or other adverse life events influence sexual orientation.4
Homosexuality was removed from the DSM as a mental illness because all the studies prior to the 70's (and many since) have shown there is no pathology associated with homosexuality in and of itself.
THAT is the reason why the APA was lobbied from within by psychiatrists, and from without by the gay rights groups - to review all the scientific data. They changed it because they reviewed the scientific evidence.

Homosexuality and Mental Health

How would you KNOW about the facts and evidence if you never bother to find out? (From reputable sources at least).

Old 03-06-2011, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
I HAVE asked a psychologist and he said that with the exception of a very few, homosexuals are NOT born that way. It is the result of early molestation. The psychiatric diagnosis being removed was the result of political maneuvering. So now those needing and wanting help find it is not covered by their insurance.That is what I have been told by a PhD Psychologist. Sad.
I call BS. Unless the "psychologist" belonged to some religiously based fringe group like NARTH with their outdated bizarre unscientific evidence-free theories.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:52 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates1234567890 View Post
Are all people born heterosexual? I believe many, not all, people think so. If so, what happened to the people who didn't stay that way? What determines a person's attraction to other people of the same sex or opposite sex? Obviously, there are differences there which are evidenced by people's behavior. I don't have the answers but, I also don't think the answers are as simple as most people would like them to be. People like simple answers, it's easy and doesn't require much brainpower. Black and white is easier than gray, but most everything in life is gray, isn't it. Why not this? So, before you draw any conclusions, make sure you have solid proof to support your arguement or you might end up looking very foolish.
FOOLISH........You mean like you just did with your post.

Sexual orientation, homosexuality and bisexuality

Gay Is Okay With APA (American Psychiatric Association) (http://www.soulforce.org/article/642 - broken link)

Official Statement Concerning Homosexuality from the American Psychological Association | CLGS

Sexual orientation and its basis in brain structure and function

I knew I was gay at 5 or 6 years old and I've been with my partner for 28 years now and counting!

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 03-06-2011 at 04:23 AM..

Old 03-06-2011, 03:54 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Ahhhhh so you're a homosexual yourself. No wonder you hold the views you do. Can you say revisionist biology?
And so you as a straight person are somehow an expert on gay people!!! . ROFLMFAO!

Old 03-06-2011, 04:17 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,880 times
I personally do not believe that people are "born" heterosexual, it's just a feeling I have, I believe that there is a cause for heterosexuality. If people are born straight, does that mean that pedophiles are born to be pedophiles? Does this also mean that people who are sexually attracted to their blood related members are born to have incest or are people born to be sexually attracted to animals or corpses? If people start thinking that, does this mean we'll have to accept people who molest children or people who have sex with animals? Right now those sexual thoughts except for heterosexuality are considered to be mental disorders, sexual disorders and deviant. Heterosexuality used to be considered sick and deviant as well, why isn't it anymore?

Give me an explanation as to WHY you think heterosexuals are born heterosexuals and why you are so certain that people are born as heterosexuals.

If this version of the OP sounds ridiculous, the original version should sound equally ridiculous as well. Esp. in light of what we know about sexuality. Just because a person does not understand or even believe the current research doesn't make it any less true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies