Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it ok for national politicians to get involved in local/state elections?
Yes 5 41.67%
No 6 50.00%
Maybe/Unsure 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 06:37 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,595,597 times

Advertisements

Depends on what you mean by "state". A candidate running for Senator or Representative of that state on Capitol Hill is actually a federal candidate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 07:07 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,223,727 times
I don't care one way or the other. By the time that a local/state candidate has the endorsement it is more like Campbell's soup is M'mm M'mm Good.

I hate Campbell's soup.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:09 AM

66 posts, read 39,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
This has been bothering me. We're constantly hearing on the news about Barack Obama, Sarah Palin, Bill Clinton and numerous other national figures flying across the nation to rally for candidates up for election.

Obama has actually been to my state a number of times, and I can't help but think: Wait a second. Why does Barack Obama have any say in my state's elections? He's not a resident of my state. In fact, he's never lived here. Congressional members are supposed to represent the interests of the people living in their state, not the interests of the national executive branch. That's the whole point of there being separate branches of government. This election is not about what Barack Obama wants, this election is about what people of my state what. He has no business trying to assert his will here.

But then, who knows, maybe I'm missing something. I'm open to persuasion if someone can defend this practice.

What do you guys think? Do you think national intervention is appropriate, or do you think national politicians should butt out of elections that don't concern them? Why?

(NOTE: this is not a political/ideological debate. I mentioned Obama specifically because he's been here, but I would be just as bothered if it was a national Republican figure doing the same thing. So lets not turn this into a liberal/conservative thing.)

what local/state elections are you talking about...certainly not state senators/assebmlypersons

obama, palin, etc. have been involved in NATIONAL elections..your US senator, and US congressperson, may represent your district/state...but they are NATIONAL

Old 10-18-2010, 07:28 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,143,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
This has been bothering me. We're constantly hearing on the news about Barack Obama, Sarah Palin, Bill Clinton and numerous other national figures flying across the nation to rally for candidates up for election.

Obama has actually been to my state a number of times, and I can't help but think: Wait a second. Why does Barack Obama have any say in my state's elections? He's not a resident of my state. In fact, he's never lived here. Congressional members are supposed to represent the interests of the people living in their state, not the interests of the national executive branch. That's the whole point of there being separate branches of government. This election is not about what Barack Obama wants, this election is about what people of my state what. He has no business trying to assert his will here.

But then, who knows, maybe I'm missing something. I'm open to persuasion if someone can defend this practice.

What do you guys think? Do you think national intervention is appropriate, or do you think national politicians should butt out of elections that don't concern them? Why?

(NOTE: this is not a political/ideological debate. I mentioned Obama specifically because he's been here, but I would be just as bothered if it was a national Republican figure doing the same thing. So lets not turn this into a liberal/conservative thing.)
"Is it OK for national politicians to get involved in local/state
elections?"

Aren't states part of the Nation?

"UNITED STATES"....ring a bell????

Old 10-18-2010, 07:30 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,344,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVE MY HARLEY View Post
what local/state elections are you talking about...certainly not state senators/assebmlypersons

obama, palin, etc. have been involved in NATIONAL elections..your US senator, and US congressperson, may represent your district/state...but they are NATIONAL

I respectfully disagree (to the bold section).

They are elected by the people of the state. To represent our interests to the larger national body. They are local.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:37 AM

66 posts, read 39,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post

They are elected by the people of the state. To represent our interests to the larger national body. They are local.

not really

I agree a state assemblyperson is local (state)...but the US congressperson/senator...who does represent a local district or stste is national

are you saying Nancy Pelosi, is ONLY doing things for the city (local district) that she represents????? is she not national

are you saying the Harry Reid, who represents the state of Nevada, is local, and not national...is he not a UNITED states senator (national)

as you say they represent our (local) interests to the larger NATIONAL body...they are national

Old 10-18-2010, 07:44 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,316,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I know what you are talking about considering corporations but just don't see that your post makes any sense. Maybe
this marks you a conservative.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:58 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Here in Texas our Democratic hopeful for governor is staying far, far away from Obama.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:59 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post

That's how I interpret it, as well. I get that the senate is a function of the national government, but the senators themselves are meant to represent their state, not the whole nation, which is why only the people of that state are entitled a vote. I have a hard time calling a senate race a national election, when the whole nation isn't voting.

Anyway, I'm including gubernatorial races, etc. as well in this question. I'm pretty sure national figures have been in town campaigning for our potential governor. That one really baffled me, actually, as a state governor doesn't even have a voice in congress or national affairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies