U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-18-2010, 04:07 PM
 
1,745 posts, read 1,878,696 times
Reputation: 943

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
All history texts are revisionist.
While evolution has some science to back it the big bang theory is just a theory.
Nothing in science is "just a theory". A scientific theory has attained that LOFTY status because it has plenty of evidence backing it up.

Quote:
If put your faith in the big bang theory than that is your right.
Uh no, it doesn't require faith to accept reality. The big bang happened - that is a fact. Just as evolution is. We have scientific theories that explain how those facts occurred. Really, it does get tiring education you creatinists over and over again. And it never seems to stick..


Quote:
But it takes just as much faith to believe in a god as a creator. Both take faith
You're showing your Christian creationist ignorance. And you're obviously assuming I'm an atheist since I reject your fairytale religion. I am in fact a Deist. Nothing about the big bang or evolution says there isn't a creator, though there's pretty much no chance in hell it was the man-made Christian/Biblical god. The creator was a far more intelligent and rational being than that ridiculous hack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-18-2010, 04:09 PM
 
1,745 posts, read 1,878,696 times
Reputation: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
not everyone wants their kids taught that, i think it should be taught that others think like that but to also know it is a theory of scientists to believe in evolution not a fact.
You may not want to be taught that the earth is round, that the moon isn't made of cheese or that the sun doesn't revolve around the earth, but that doesn't change reality. Science and an education in what is reality are not up for a vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2010, 08:41 PM
 
Location: South East
4,209 posts, read 3,082,253 times
Reputation: 1453
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
You're seriously asking why teaching false history is BS? Typical Christian..

Because a quality education should deal with facts. Evolution and the big bang are facts (and please get an education before you respond with the canned "evolution is just a theory" BS).


[b]

No it's a form of thinking called BEING RATIONAL and living in REALITY. Of course, reality does have a liberal bias.

I did receive a quality education....Did you? Oh wait - maybe you did and I had to pay for it since I am a conservative. What is your reality and how does that work for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2010, 09:11 PM
 
Location: NC
1,673 posts, read 1,526,906 times
Reputation: 523
I've met some homeschoolers who are now in the workplace. Not too impressed, mainly from the complete and utter lack of social skills necessary to function in almost any workplace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2010, 01:11 AM
 
1,482 posts, read 1,853,522 times
Reputation: 854
I'm a liberal and intolerant about some things.
Like parents allowing children to drop advanced maths, physics, chemistry.
Not taking those subjects means they can forget about an engineering degree etc right out of school.

As for where children learn, does it matter as long as they are getting an education ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2010, 01:23 AM
 
Location: Texas
26,608 posts, read 11,147,070 times
Reputation: 6103
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Yes, but on average home school kids don't include special ed statistics. Public schools do.
I have not heard of special ed students taking the ACT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2010, 01:31 AM
 
Location: Texas
26,608 posts, read 11,147,070 times
Reputation: 6103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Home schooled students are a special demographic. Many studies have shown that involved parents have students who score higher on standardized tests. Home schooled kids obviously have that. This statistic is meaningless.
LMAO no duhhh. Why do you think they home schooled kids DO score better? It is BECAUSE of the "extra attention". You have said nothing to refute what I have posted. Home school kids score higher, PERIOD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Home schooled students who take the ACT score the above, on average. These are very "cherry-picked" kids b/c not all home schooled kids even take the test.
You have no proof the home school kids who take the test are "cherry picked" except that YOU say so. I don't buy it. Please show proof of this. And not all public school kids take the test so what's your point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Here in CO, all students take the ACT their junior year in high school, so you'd get very different results.
Show me the results that prove home school students in Colorado do not score higher than public schooled kids in Colorado. If you cannot, then why are you posting? lol sometimes people argue just to argue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2010, 03:01 AM
 
Location: Columbus
4,879 posts, read 3,896,425 times
Reputation: 1447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post

Homeschooling because you think schools are too liberal, too multicultural, too secular, etc. usually doesn't usually result in better educated children, just more ignorant ones. And if you think you can teach your kid all they need to know by reading from a book, but have no actually knowledge or education yourself, you can't.
You ever stop to think the parents have actual knowledge about liberal, multicultural and secular schools? Thats why they don't want their kid there.

It has nothing to do with ignorance. It has to do with intelligence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2010, 03:03 AM
 
Location: Columbus
4,879 posts, read 3,896,425 times
Reputation: 1447
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
I'm a liberal and intolerant about some things.
Like parents allowing children to drop advanced maths, physics, chemistry.
Not taking those subjects means they can forget about an engineering degree etc right out of school.

As for where children learn, does it matter as long as they are getting an education ?
Not everyone is going to be an engineer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2010, 04:44 AM
 
Location: South East
4,209 posts, read 3,082,253 times
Reputation: 1453
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
I'm a liberal and intolerant about some things.
Like parents allowing children to drop advanced maths, physics, chemistry.
Not taking those subjects means they can forget about an engineering degree etc right out of school.

As for where children learn, does it matter as long as they are getting an education ?
An intolerant liberal ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top