U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 01:03 PM

41,313 posts, read 40,253,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hey, Texan, why can't you send us some of your many illegals and a bunch of shovels...?

Oh, I am going to Hell.
If that were to happen, the risk of tunnel collapse would be assured.

I'm right behind you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 01:35 PM

66 posts, read 32,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
All the tunnel would do would be to transfer even more vehicles from NJ to NYC where they are already overloaded with automobiles. Christie should have suggested they take the money and use it to cover tax credits for creating and hiring private Mass Transit companies to get people out of automobiles who are coming and going to NYC. This would provide permanent jobs, not temporary construction jobs, and save shelling out the money to union hacks and government projects.

Those who look to government to provide their every service just don't seem to get it that the government can't manage and run social programs very effeciently.

agree NYC (manhatten) does not need anymore cars...too bad this wasnt a masstransit tunnel, then it would make sense

Old 10-18-2010, 01:44 PM

22,940 posts, read 16,768,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
[B]All the tunnel would do would be to transfer even more vehicles from NJ to NYC where they are already overloaded with automobiles.[/B] Christie should have suggested they take the money and use it to cover tax credits for creating and hiring private Mass Transit companies to get people out of automobiles who are coming and going to NYC. This would provide permanent jobs, not temporary construction jobs, and save shelling out the money to union hacks and government projects.

Those who look to government to provide their every service just don't seem to get it that the government can't manage and run social programs very effeciently.
Wasn't a tunnel for vehicles.

[url]http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/08/nyregion/08tunnel.html[/url]

[url=http://www.newjerseynewsroom.com/commentary/setting-the-record-straight-on-the-arc-tunnel-project]Setting the record straight on the ARC tunnel project | Commentary | NewJerseyNewsroom.com -- Your State. Your News.[/url]

Old 10-18-2010, 01:48 PM

29,009 posts, read 18,487,613 times
Good for him and the people of New Jersey. Too bad for us that the other 49 governors don't have his sense of responsibility.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:52 PM

69,360 posts, read 56,643,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVE MY HARLEY View Post
agree NYC (manhatten) does not need anymore cars...too bad this wasnt a masstransit tunnel, then it would make sense
It actually was a mass transit tunnel, and it still didnt make any sense.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:03 PM

59,833 posts, read 57,286,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVE MY HARLEY View Post
It's a RAIL tunnel.

Edit: Oops, I see somebody already pointed that out.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:05 PM

19,889 posts, read 16,625,236 times
Lol, how much money would NJ have to kick in. The left just makes me laugh. And they wonder why the are getting kicked to the curb in november!

Old 10-18-2010, 02:09 PM

3,493 posts, read 2,524,611 times
Christie is a short sighted, idiotic, dimwitted, arrogant moron.

NYC is the engine that drives the NJ economy. If it weren't for proximity to NYC and Philadelphia NJ would be an utterly unappealing place to live. Taxes are high and housing costs are even higher. People move to NJ primarily so they can raise a family in safe surroundings and still have a career in America's largest city.

Ignoring the need to make that commute as easy and appealing as possible is the stupidest course of action imaginable. Investment in long term infrastructure to help make that happen is essential.

Penny wise and pound foolish indeed.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:10 PM

10,854 posts, read 8,218,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Yeah right. Now is not the time to spend that kind of money on something that is not needed that badly. There are more important things to worry about at the moment.
Actually now is EXACTLY the right time to spend this kind of money. The tunnel would provide THOUSANDS jobs that are much needed during this period. The ONLY railroad tunnel leading into New York City from New Jersey is over 100 years old. If for any reason this tunnel is very shut down the economic effects to both New York and New Jersey not to mention to the rest of the country would be devastating.

During The Great Depression we built the Hoover Dam. The Hoover Dam is the most vital element in the economic development of the western United States. Los Angeles and the San Joaquin Valley would not be the economic powerhouses that they are without the Hoover Dam.

Your opinion is not short sighted and not in the best long term interst of this country.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:11 PM

12,763 posts, read 8,074,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hey, Texan, why can't you send us some of your many illegals and a bunch of shovels...?

Oh, I am going to Hell.
Huh, Jersey has too many illegals now. We don't need any more!
I'd love to see those jobs go to Americans.
(if and when they are created).

Living in New Jersey myself and usually voting Democratic, I am glad Christie put this money monster on hold. My taxes are too high right now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or