U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-18-2010, 02:12 PM
 
10,854 posts, read 8,225,750 times
Reputation: 3120

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
If it's that horrible, then drive your damn car into the city. This project is needed just as bad as everyone needs a hole in the head. When the economy is better, then go for it, but not now.
Have you ever tried commuting into New York City on a regular basis by car from New Jersey?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-18-2010, 02:14 PM
 
Location: NE CT
1,496 posts, read 2,986,633 times
Reputation: 715

Correction noted but what is wrong with using the money for a tax credit to finance private enterprise to build, staff, and maintain the tunnel? Why do we have to use government money and need a government program to build this? Private enterprise nearly always does a better job than government at running services for the public. We don't need government in the way.

If the people want another tunnel, let them finance and pay for it through private enterprise and bonding, not through a boondoggle for overpaid unions and its leaders, government hacks who enforce silly government regulations that always tend to hinder free enterprise, and then replace it with government run system that always requires government tax subsidies to exist. It's about time to quit subsidizing government transit and have those who use it pay for it.

Furthermore, it is likely a level of train tracks could be added under the GW bridge for less than a tunnel could be built and N Bergen NJ could still be the NJ terminis side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2010, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
60,011 posts, read 57,429,559 times
Reputation: 71613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Huh, Jersey has too many illegals now. We don't need any more!
I'd love to see those jobs go to Americans.
(if and when they are created).

Living in New Jersey myself and usually voting Democratic, I am glad Christie put this money monster on hold. My taxes are too high right now!
I know we do, I just recently had a conversation with someone from Texas complaining about how many illegals they have so when I saw Happy Texan that came to mind.

As far as the jobs going to Americans--I know a few Americans who are losing their jobs now that the ARC project has been cancelled. Someone gets burned no matter what. It's a lot of money that we just don't have, no doubt about that. I would just prefer him to continue to look into other solutions rather than just cancel the project outright, which, as I stated earlier, is what I suspect he's doing by this action. And when they do move forward with it, have some very tightly written contracts and oversight.

FWIW, I don't much like Christie for the same reason I don't like any Jersey politician, regardless of party. I don't trust any one of them, and he owes favors to a lot of people for putting him where he is, same as all the others, so my opinion is not one of "left" or "right" or any of the other name-calling labels people so adore tossing around on here. He is a politician, first and foremost, and he has to be watched carefully like the rest of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2010, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Gardiner, Maine
66 posts, read 32,748 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The ONLY railroad tunnel leading into New York City from New Jersey is over 100 years old. .
why would you say the ONLY

there are three tunnels connecting new jersey to manhatten

downtown hudson tubes

uptown hudson tubes

and the north river tubes

not to mention the lexington avenue tunnels under the harlem river




and worring about 100 years old is silly

the brooklyn bridge was built in 1888..its the oldest suspension bridge....dont see anyone worring about its age
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2010, 02:20 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,068 posts, read 74,156,942 times
Reputation: 27599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I know we do, I just recently had a conversation with someone from Texas complaining about how many illegals they have so when I saw Happy Texan that came to mind.

As far as the jobs going to Americans--I know a few Americans who are losing their jobs now that the ARC project has been cancelled. Someone gets burned no matter what. It's a lot of money that we just don't have, no doubt about that. I would just prefer him to continue to look into other solutions rather than just cancel the project outright, which, as I stated earlier, is what I suspect he's doing by this action. And when they do move forward with it, have some very tightly written contracts and oversight.
That doesn't help much when the price of commodities changes on a daily basis. Constructions costs have risen 7% nationally due to rising commodity costs. That type of project takes years..how do you stabilize the costs of your raw materials ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2010, 02:23 PM
 
Location: NE CT
1,496 posts, read 2,986,633 times
Reputation: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Have you ever tried commuting into New York City on a regular basis by car from New Jersey?
It sucks except on weekends. If people want to drive their cars to commute to work into NYC, then perhaps let the market rule here. For some people it is still their way of having to get to work. When the parking spaces get to a premium, and people can no longer afford to park their vehicles, then they will switch to mass transit. But that mass transit must be a viable source, not a government run failure like Amtrak, the NYC subways system, and it buses, that all pay enourmous salaries to unions that force the system into government subsidies.

Tax credits that encourage private enterprise to particpate in mass transit will solve the problem and competition will force the cost of commuting down to a level where it will make more economic sense to use the train or the bus rather than the automobile driven by a single driver who parks in the local parking garage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2010, 02:25 PM
 
Location: Gardiner, Maine
66 posts, read 32,748 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Have you ever tried commuting into New York City on a regular basis by car from New Jersey?
the real question would WHY would you want to bring a car into Manhatten???? to get stuck behind a taxi???


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2010, 02:29 PM
 
10,854 posts, read 8,225,750 times
Reputation: 3120
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVE MY HARLEY View Post
the real question would WHY would you want to bring a car into Manhatten???? to get stuck behind a taxi???

Doin't tell this to me tell it to SourD! He's the one talking about "Just take a car into New York City".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2010, 02:34 PM
 
3,493 posts, read 2,526,741 times
Reputation: 2350
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVE MY HARLEY View Post
why would you say the ONLY

there are three tunnels connecting new jersey to manhatten

downtown hudson tubes

uptown hudson tubes

and the north river tubes

not to mention the lexington avenue tunnels under the harlem river




and worring about 100 years old is silly

the brooklyn bridge was built in 1888..its the oldest suspension bridge....dont see anyone worring about its age
Do you know why there are so many bridges and tunnels?

Because people are commuting to Manhattan from Westchester County, Brooklyn, the Bronx, Staten Island, Queens, Nassau County and half a dozen NJ counties.

The metropolitan NYC area comprises over 20 million people. They need an effective infrastructure to get around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
It sucks except on weekends. If people want to drive their cars to commute to work into NYC, then perhaps let the market rule here. For some people it is still their way of having to get to work. When the parking spaces get to a premium, and people can no longer afford to park their vehicles, then they will switch to mass transit. But that mass transit must be a viable source, not a government run failure like Amtrak, the NYC subways system, and it buses, that all pay enourmous salaries to unions that force the system into government subsidies.

Tax credits that encourage private enterprise to particpate in mass transit will solve the problem and competition will force the cost of commuting down to a level where it will make more economic sense to use the train or the bus rather than the automobile driven by a single driver who parks in the local parking garage.
Leaving it to the market means far more pollution as people choose cars. People all over the region have a vested interest in encouraging the usage of public transportation. This reduces reliance on inefficient cars and decreases our need for continuing importation of non-renewable resources.

Calling the NYC subways a failure is utterly inaccurate. The subways are fast, effective and reduce pollution. As a result NYC is one of the most energy efficient places in the entire world let alone in America. Without subway usage Manhattan would be essentially unliveable as cars crammed the roadways.

At some point the government has to govern. It is unfortunate that Christie has chosen a pointless temper tantrum instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2010, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Reality
9,949 posts, read 7,763,478 times
Reputation: 3310
Gov Christie is exactly what states like NJ need whether some of the people who live there agree or not, someone has to tell the Democrats no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:08 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top