U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 08:53 AM

2,086 posts, read 2,171,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dawg View Post
I mean seriously, why do all you people harbor such jealousy and resentment towards those who have more than you? Why does this jealousy and resentment manifest itself in your people voting for demagogues like Obama who promise to take from others and give to you? There's no such thing as a society where everyone is a millionaire. Some people are going to be more successful than others, it's human nature. So what if your neighbor has a fancier car than you? Why do you feel entitled to have the government take your neighbor's fancier car and give it to you? If anything, it should make you want to strive to be more successful, so you can have a fancy car too. If you can't, it's because your neighbor is smarter and/or harder working than you are. So if your neighbor is smarter/harder working than you, why shouldn't they have more wealth and you? You have the opportunity to improve yourself. If you're too lazy and stupid to take advantage of your opportunities, then you deserve to have less.
They just want something for nothing. They are lazy. If they want to give all they own to someone else, then let them. They feel guilty, and that is their own problem. They shouldn't force ther rest of us into poverty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 09:24 AM

8,388 posts, read 8,336,810 times
Wink Think about it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
that sounds great, it really does.
I don't think it sounds great, at all. I think it sounds lousy, to tell you the truth. Because it's just a recounting of how America landed deeply in the ditch.

Quote:
But, the reality is that Obama, Reid, & Pelosi are the ones who are running our country.
And they're working hard to repair the damage of the Bush years.

Quote:
And, they are not spending our tax money in our best interests.
Bush left them with NO alternatives.

They have to pay the Chinese. I agree, that's not a wise use of our tax dollars. But the alternative (default on those bonds) would absolutely ruin America.

Quote:
So, the only way to change that is to vote against every single democrat that we can until the balance is restored. Then we can assess the situation, and tackle other issues that concern us. thanks
Your proposed "solution" is to give the reins back to the guys who crippled the horse.

brilliant

Old 10-21-2010, 11:52 AM

103 posts, read 82,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Take out your copy of the constitution.

Look at the preamble (that's the first part).

See if you can find the phrase, "promote the general welfare."

Another fallacy. The preamble is not actionable language. It is a general statement of intent, and the line to promote the general welfare doesn't refer to INDIVIDUAL WELFARE (which is one of several meanings of the term, that is used to describe the transfer of payments to "poor" people - a useage of that term (welfare) that did not exists at the founding, and could NOT, therefore, have been their intent).

The specific powers of Congress that were created to carry out the intent of the preamble, are found in Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution, and there is nothing whatsoever there that authorizes redistribution of any kind.

Your attempts at distorting and perverting the meaning and intent of the Constituion and the Founders has been destroyed. Go forth and deceive no longer. Try to remember a) you are an american, and b) what that means.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
I don't think it sounds great, at all. I think it sounds lousy, to tell you the truth. Because it's just a recounting of how America landed deeply in the ditch.

And they're working hard to repair the damage of the Bush years.

Bush left them with NO alternatives.

They have to pay the Chinese. I agree, that's not a wise use of our tax dollars. But the alternative (default on those bonds) would absolutely ruin America.

Your proposed "solution" is to give the reins back to the guys who crippled the horse.

brilliant

I am curious if you actually believe even a single word of what you wrote.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:35 PM

35,209 posts, read 19,272,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMcElwee View Post
Another fallacy. The preamble is not actionable language. It is a general statement of intent, and the line to promote the general welfare doesn't refer to INDIVIDUAL WELFARE (which is one of several meanings of the term, that is used to describe the transfer of payments to "poor" people - a useage of that term (welfare) that did not exists at the founding, and could NOT, therefore, have been their intent).

The specific powers of Congress that were created to carry out the intent of the preamble, are found in Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution, and there is nothing whatsoever there that authorizes redistribution of any kind.

Your attempts at distorting and perverting the meaning and intent of the Constituion and the Founders has been destroyed. Go forth and deceive no longer. Try to remember a) you are an american, and b) what that means.

I'll make a mental note of it.

Note to self: Tim Mcelwee says the preamble isn't part of the constitution.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
I am curious if you actually believe even a single word of what you wrote.

Belief has nothing to do with any of it. You can look it up.

"We have lent a huge amount of money to the U.S. Of course we are concerned about the safety of our assets. To be honest, I am definitely a little worried," he said.

Jiabo went on to say he hopes the United States will "maintain its good credit, to honor its promises and to guarantee the safety of China's assets."

China 'worried' by U.S. debt - Andy Barr - POLITICO.com

And it's a free country. You can ignore it. And pretend that reality doesn't exist.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I'll make a mental note of it.

Note to self: Tim Mcelwee says the preamble isn't part of the constitution.
There you go distorting again. I guess you are addicted to fibbing. Note, you make no substantive reply, just a smarmy adolescent quasi quip.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Belief has nothing to do with any of it. You can look it up.

"We have lent a huge amount of money to the U.S. Of course we are concerned about the safety of our assets. To be honest, I am definitely a little worried," he said.

Jiabo went on to say he hopes the United States will "maintain its good credit, to honor its promises and to guarantee the safety of China's assets."

China 'worried' by U.S. debt - Andy Barr - POLITICO.com

And it's a free country. You can ignore it. And pretend that reality doesn't exist.
Congress appropriates, not the POTUS.

As far as the Chicoms are concerned, the money they have transferred so far, pays us back to the tune of 12.5% of what they owe use for their involvement in the Viet Nam and Korean wars. I'll let you know when their debt is paid in full, if either of us lives that long. After that, we'll start owing them. If they don't like it, well they can lump it.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:42 PM

Talking Oh, yeah?

Quote:
Congress appropriates, not the POTUS.

As far as the Chicoms are concerned, the money they have transferred so far, pays us back to the tune of 12.5% of what they owe use for their involvement in the Viet Nam and Korean wars. I'll let you know when their debt is paid in full, if either of us lives that long. After that, we'll start owing them. If they don't like it, well they can lump it.

And you're the guy accusing others of insubstantial posts.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:07 AM

41,492 posts, read 51,354,718 times
Maybe rich people like Soros don't retire because they are just playing the great game. I doubt if Soros or any of his friends have ever worried about where the rent money was coming from. Boredom is their biggest worry so they keep playing.

I have never met any executive that "gave" me a job. I have met lots that want my work but do not want to pay for it. I have even been stiffed by clients that took my work and never paid. I do not steal. I work for money and always have. I trade time and skill for money. That makes me an employee. I do not work for pleasure nor do I play games. So you can drop the aristocratic attitude that I want freebies. It seems to be the wealthy are the ones that want government contracts and tax handouts for free.

I, and many like me just want a fair share but the increasing trend to change employment into tenant farming is making that less and less likely. The country is heading for economic stagnation where the growth in income has been and will continue to be concentrated in the top most 10%.

The ultimate result will be a financial collapse that breaks the banks as thoroughly as the bursting housing bubble broke millions of Americans. I hope to watch the results as we put together a new economy designed for continuous growth without speculation and high lever thievery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or