U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 09:12 AM

16,553 posts, read 11,500,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
You were probably given white skin and reasonably responsible parents and a decent education. These things were in place from the minute you were born. This isn't a bad thing, but I think we should realize where we came from and the difference that made. It is sort of like being thankful and not taking everything for granted.
So, who's fault is it that some people's parents didn't raise them right? Not mine, it's their own parent's problem. As far as being white, that's a non factor. If you're black, let's say, and can't find a job, maybe you need to pull up your pants, take the gold teeth out, the gawdy jewlery off, hide the gang tats and speak proper English. If you haven't woken up to the fact that poor people that can't find jobs, this is mostly the reason for it. They have no idea how to act and present themselves. Who's fault is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 09:12 AM

3,341 posts, read 5,928,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Greed is what got us into this mess more than anything else.
Well, if nothing else, we can agree on this.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:13 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,243,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
You people don't seem to get it. I'm a small business owner, and my husband is in upper management, plus is a shareholder in the company that he works for. We do ok, and we've worked hard to get there. If the people below us aren't doing ok, our businesses are going to fail. No one is talking about a handout for the middle class--they're talking about not putting more burden on them so they fall even lower on the economic poll. I can afford to pay a little more in taxes until the country stabilizes itself. If we have a balanced budget and a surplus, then heck yes--cut all our taxes. They just better make sure they can pay for those cuts, and not go on another drunken government spending spree, or we fall back into the same mess we're in right now. I don't get this "I've got mine so to heck with the rest of the world" attitude some of you have. I've got mine, but I know to keep it, I've got to make sure that my customers can make it too. You can't just look to the end of your own nose.

EDIT--one last comment. Spending to get us out of a near depression, or to save long term on health care, isn't empty spending--it's an investment. You can't cut government spending in a recession.
The only thing that tax increases will do is give more money to Obama, Pelosi, & Reid..... Is that who you want to give your money to? Wouldn't iy be better if you could take that money and re-invest it back into your business. Higher wages & more benefits for your employees? Better office funiture or equipment? I'm sure that you could think of many better things to spend "your" money on.... right?

Old 10-19-2010, 09:19 AM

9,856 posts, read 13,430,119 times
To throw in my $0.02...I think complaining about other people having too much or being to greedy is MUCH easier than actually working to make something of your own life.

Unless someone is working 75-80 hours/week and still can't get ahead, I have little respect for complaints that "I can't find a good job". Realistically, ANYONE who is rich or successful today puts in at least those kind of hours. Those 'evil rich wall street bankers' put in 16 hour days, six days/week until they are 45-50 years old. I have a friend who is a wall street trader...he gets to the office at 7am and says it is a very early day if he leaves by 8pm. The majority (not all, but the majority) of people who complain about 'the rich' seem to be unwilling to work more than 40 hours/week. There is nothing wrong with not wanting to work those hours, but if you want to work only 40 hours/week, don't complain about not being rich.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
So, who's fault is it that some people's parents didn't raise them right? Not mine, it's their own parent's problem. As far as being white, that's a non factor. If you're black, let's say, and can't find a job, maybe you need to pull up your pants, take the gold teeth out, the gawdy jewlery off, hide the gang tats and speak proper English. If you haven't woken up to the fact that poor people that can't find jobs, this is mostly the reason for it. They have no idea how to act and present themselves. Who's fault is that?
Believe me, every time I walk by a public housing complex I just want to shake people and tell them to get it together. It isn't even that hard. Or at least it doesn't seem so to me. If you took away everything I had, my degrees, what money I have, my work experience, I would still be able to go out there get a decent job and work my way up. This is what makes America great and something I am sure we both love about this country.

So what makes me able to take those opportunities? Certainly it is something more quantifiable and real than "gumption." I think it is mostly family, values, and education.

I'm not sure what to do about family and values, but one area where we as a society fail totally and completely miserably is in education. Fund sciences, the arts, and all forms of public education to the point of excess. Go crazy, spend my tax dollars on this stuff.

I think we can make this country better by not blaming people for not having gumption but rather figuring out what the hell the problem is and trying to fix it.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
To throw in my $0.02...I think complaining about other people having too much or being to greedy is MUCH easier than actually working to make something of your own life.

Unless someone is working 75-80 hours/week and still can't get ahead, I have little respect for complaints that "I can't find a good job". Realistically, ANYONE who is rich or successful today puts in at least those kind of hours. Those 'evil rich wall street bankers' put in 16 hour days, six days/week until they are 45-50 years old. I have a friend who is a wall street trader...he gets to the office at 7am and says it is a very early day if he leaves by 8pm. The majority (not all, but the majority) of people who complain about 'the rich' seem to be unwilling to work more than 40 hours/week. There is nothing wrong with not wanting to work those hours, but if you want to work only 40 hours/week, don't complain about not being rich.
Who on earth are you talking about? Who is working 40 hours and complaining about not being rich?

Old 10-19-2010, 09:31 AM

19,135 posts, read 12,227,026 times
Quote:
What's really hard is for someone who had success to admit that without certain things being given to them, they would most likely have not been able to achieve said success. For example, if your parents were both drug addicts, chances are you wouldn't have even finished high school.

There is very little, if anything, that has ever been given to me in my lifetime. I am of poor white trash origins. My parents were not drug abusers and did not abuse me, but that is it. Everything I have earned has come from hard work and education.

Again, it is easier to complain about one's lot in the world than to work. There are very few, if any, people who could not be successful. Of course, there are the mentally handicapped, but the rest are just lazy complainers. These are the same people who were partying and screwing around while I was working. It is the story of the ant and the grasshopper and being the grasshopper sucks, but is not the fault of the ant.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:43 AM

9,856 posts, read 13,430,119 times
Quote:
Who on earth are you talking about? Who is working 40 hours and complaining about not being rich?
Visit the unemployment forum here on CD. I challenge you to find a single person on that forum who spends 80 hours/week job hunting.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:02 AM

19,899 posts, read 15,902,040 times
We should never envy what others have, cause you never know their stories. When money is the only reason for existence, and the glue that keeps a family togehter, this is not a good sign. Some of my friends who barely get by, are happy as can be, and truly appreciate everything that they earn. While some who have so much, take money for granted. As long as one has their health, be happy, because money does not buy happiness or your health.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:30 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,469,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
We should never envy what others have, cause you never know their stories. When money is the only reason for existence, and the glue that keeps a family togehter, this is not a good sign. Some of my friends who barely get by, are happy as can be, and truly appreciate everything that they earn. While some who have so much, take money for granted. As long as one has their health, be happy, because money does not buy happiness or your health.
You are correct. I have been well off and poor and now I am "comfortable" again. I am 56 and no longer working. I have plenty of money. I lost a daughter in a car accident a few years ago and I struggle daily with that. I have another daughter in the military, that I worry about, but I can't change that because she is doing what she feels is right. I have a son that struggles with a drug problem which affects our whole family. And my oldest son works a manual labor job and is happy with his life.

Having money solves one problem in your life. ONE period.

You can't control the things that happen around you. You ever know what tomorrow will bring. What I have today could be gone tomorrow.

In this day and age nothing is forever. I think when one segment of the population is targeted as "bad" for not seeing to the needs of the population at large it becomes intimidating. People seem to forget that in addition to the federal taxes the top earners pay in they are also paying taxes on their employees, capital gains taxes, property taxes, insurance for their families and employees etc. Yes they have more, but it costs more to have it. And for every "THING" you have comes the responsiblity of taking care of it.

All people have stress in their lives, money is not the only stress that exists.
I was happy when I was poor. I am happy now. But you have hardships regardless. The grass is just a different shade of green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or