U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2010, 11:39 AM

21,044 posts, read 19,570,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Let me counter with a MUCH superior question to yours...

WHY DO THOSE WHO ALREADY HAVE MUCH MORE THAN THEY COULD EVER NEED SEEM TO THINK THAT THEY SHOULD BE EXEMPT FROM SUPPORTING THE SOCIETY THAT HAS GRANTED THEM SO MUCH AND SHOULD SHIFT PART OF THEIR LOAD TO THOSE LESS FORTUNATE?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
You're the one with the victim mentality, not me. Are you trying to justify your own failures by blaming people for being rich because you aren't?
Why are you lying? I never said I was a failure....and I don't blame The Wealthy(your God and Owner) for my situation whatever it is. I do blame them for sucking this country dry...I care about the U.S. and it's future. Obviously you don't...you like the direction it's heading...

Please read the quote above yours..
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 12:58 PM

32 posts, read 22,993 times
It is not about taking from the rich to give to the poor. It is about getting back to where we were in the 50's in terms of the standards of living. Now we have two people working in the family and they cannot keep up. The middle class is being destroyed in this country. We cannot keep sending our jobs overseas. Corporations will keep doing this unless we have strong tax incentives to keep jobs here. Corporations are all about making their company money, not about growing the US middle class.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:07 PM

58,194 posts, read 41,026,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Human nature is all about survival. The most important person in anyone's life is themselves. A person's number 1 job is to make sure they themselves are ok and can survive. If you can't help yourself how can you help anyone else? It is typical left-wing nuttiness that suggests that people do for others before they do for themselves.
The many parents who've sacrificed much, up to and including their own lives to better their childrens' lives say you're quite wrong. Of course I guess the view from the "I got mine, screw everyone else" gallery is a little off the normal human track

Old 10-19-2010, 01:12 PM

21,448 posts, read 19,332,544 times
I guess it also has to do with people in the West having lost their sense of what's appropriate. There is a 'take as much as you possibly can' attitude. I would feel embarrassed earning half a million or more because I would know that I don't deserve it, no matter why my job is. But these days people go like, company x would pay me so and so, either you pay more than that or adios. And the money that is wasted that way will be missing in normal employees' wallets.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:00 PM

9,856 posts, read 13,433,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I guess it also has to do with people in the West having lost their sense of what's appropriate. There is a 'take as much as you possibly can' attitude. I would feel embarrassed earning half a million or more because I would know that I don't deserve it, no matter why my job is. But these days people go like, company x would pay me so and so, either you pay more than that or adios. And the money that is wasted that way will be missing in normal employees' wallets.
So if you started a company from scratch, worked 100 hour weeks for 10 years and after that made $500,000/year, you would feel you didn't earn it?

Old 10-19-2010, 02:12 PM

2,766 posts, read 2,302,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dawg View Post
I mean seriously, why do all you people harbor such jealousy and resentment towards those who have more than you? Why does this jealousy and resentment manifest itself in your people voting for demagogues like Obama who promise to take from others and give to you? There's no such thing as a society where everyone is a millionaire. Some people are going to be more successful than others, it's human nature. So what if your neighbor has a fancier car than you? Why do you feel entitled to have the government take your neighbor's fancier car and give it to you? If anything, it should make you want to strive to be more successful, so you can have a fancy car too. If you can't, it's because your neighbor is smarter and/or harder working than you are. So if your neighbor is smarter/harder working than you, why shouldn't they have more wealth and you? You have the opportunity to improve yourself. If you're too lazy and stupid to take advantage of your opportunities, then you deserve to have less.
Yea, that's it, we want your fancy car.

"you people"

We are YOU.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:23 PM

21,448 posts, read 19,332,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
So if you started a company from scratch, worked 100 hour weeks for 10 years and after that made $500,000/year, you would feel you didn't earn it?
I would never be so stupid as to work that much, frankly If I had that much work I would obviously need a partner as it is more than twice the amount typical of a full-time job...

Old 10-19-2010, 02:45 PM

35,283 posts, read 19,318,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
They don't think that they should have to pay the gov't 50% of their wealth.
Especially when this gov't continues to waste money, or spend it on special interest projects that most Americans do not want.
Rich people should be able to pay their fair share of taxes, and then donate to whoever they want.

Here's what I think...

After a millionaire pays his taxes, he's still a millionaire. They should go back to paying the same rate they paid under Reagan, who they praise endlessly.

And millionaires, stop whining, please.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:49 PM

35,283 posts, read 19,318,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Supporting? Like a deadbeat brother-in-law? Or as in charity for the less fortunate? If the government takes by force to give to the 'poor' that is not charity, that's confiscation. If your property isn't yours to dispose of as you please it is not property. If your earnings and mine are the property of a government that determines how much of the fruits of our labors we get to keep we are not citizens but subjects.

You don't seem to understand what taxes pay for. Welfare's a part of it. But I'd wager that corporate welfare is nearly as big as individual welfare.

These rich folks who say "America's the greatest nation on earth!" shouldn't be so reluctant to help pay for the cost of running the country. Like military, infrastructure, services, etc.

Buck up and pay up. America's been real good to the wealthy. They shouldn't be so whiny and ungrateful. Let's go back to the tax structure of the Reagan years.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:52 PM

5,303 posts, read 4,405,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I'm in a higher tax bracket but I'm below the $250,000.00 cut off for tax increases--I pay my fair share. The truth is, low and middle income people are hurting right now. If my tax rate was raised a few percent, it would make a much smaller impact on my family than if they did the same increase to a middle income family, because we already have our basic needs met and a chunk of our wants as well--it would take a portion of our discretionary spending, and not take money away from necessities. I'm not saying I WANT to pay more taxes, but we could afford to pay them if we had to, still be able to save and invest, and we're not even in the target group. If raising taxes is the only way we can get out of this mess, then it makes some sense to target that group. I don't like it, but I get it.
That's very generous and charitable of you. But I've lived a lifetime of me and my husband working too hard, too many hours, and sacrificing quality of life for a group that I personally know (through a previous government job and through personal experience) that the vast majority of people I have seen that are getting public money do NOT deserve it.

I worked in HUD affordable housing and 99.999% of the money was given away to scam artists (the one needy person I saw was a white woman who insisted on taking only a token amount of money and PAYING IT BACK).

I personally know of many women who CHOSE TO HAVE far too many children that they could not afford, knowing the public dole increased their cash for every new child produced.

I've seen too much to be charitable on a government scale. Let the religions, who have some standards, give charity money to those who are truly NEEDY, because I know government is incapable of discerning a scam artist from a needy person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or