Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 08:22 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,501 times

Advertisements

I don't have any resentment towards anyone who has more than I do. Whether they inherited it or worked hard for it, it's America, and that's just how the system works.

However, I do have resentment and anger towards them if they whine about how they're being taxed to much and play the victim card when they have the most money to spare out of anyone.

Not everyone who's unemployed or poor is lazy. I pay my bills on time, work very hard, and am just as smart as anyone. Yet, I just graduated college and haven't landed myself a job yet (I look for one everyday and am very determined).

I'm facing lots of troubles that I was told me getting a good education would avoid. No such luck for me.

So given the fact that me facing long term unemployment, bankruptcy, and being homeless, I think a rich person whining about their financial problems seems a bit minimal to most of the population, dont you think???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 08:50 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,991 times
Ummm...I am actually very satisfied with what I have and don't mind paying taxes. I have friends and relatives who are millionaires and feel the same way. Maybe the concept that you're not grasping is that some people believe that you shouldn't have to make six figures or millions/billions to enjoy a certain quality of life. There are people who flip burgers and CEOs. If someone flips burgers 40 hours a week, why shouldn't they be able to live without government assistance? Not that I expect that they should have the same things as a CEO but at some point in time, they could support a family with that job. The distribution of wealth is way out of control. I don't and will not vote against my interests as a middle class American, period. Most of the rich (Democrat and Republican) only care about getting richer and could care less about what happens to anyone else. This is why we are where we are today. Blaming it on "liberal values" or Obama is ridiculous and nothing but a diversion.

Why should people die because they don't have health care? Why should a person that works 40 hours a week have to choose between food stamps or starvation? Why is it that the right is against abortion but says to hell with the babies after they're born? Why is it okay to send jobs to other countries when there are so many unemployed people in the US? Talking about these things, doesn't make me upset because someone has more than me. The wealthiest 1% will remain wealthy even if their taxes increase. It is too bad that they always threaten to hurt the people on the bottom so that you can keep their pockets fat.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:17 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,028,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Ummm...I am actually very satisfied with what I have and don't mind paying taxes. I have friends and relatives who are millionaires and feel the same way. Maybe the concept that you're not grasping is that some people believe that you shouldn't have to make six figures or millions/billions to enjoy a certain quality of life. There are people who flip burgers and CEOs. If someone flips burgers 40 hours a week, why shouldn't they be able to live without government assistance? Not that I expect that they should have the same things as a CEO but at some point in time, they could support a family with that job. The distribution of wealth is way out of control. I don't and will not vote against my interests as a middle class American, period. Most of the rich (Democrat and Republican) only care about getting richer and could care less about what happens to anyone else. This is why we are where we are today. Blaming it on "liberal values" or Obama is ridiculous and nothing but a diversion.

Why should people die because they don't have health care? Why should a person that works 40 hours a week have to choose between food stamps or starvation? Why is it that the right is against abortion but says to hell with the babies after they're born? Why is it okay to send jobs to other countries when there are so many unemployed people in the US? Talking about these things, doesn't make me upset because someone has more than me. The wealthiest 1% will remain wealthy even if their taxes increase. It is too bad that they always threaten to hurt the people on the bottom so that you can keep their pockets fat.
dont matter in the end the rich and the leeches will starve out of stupidity the producers with life skills will carry on

Old 10-18-2010, 09:23 PM

103 posts, read 95,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dawg View Post
I mean seriously, why do all you people harbor such jealousy and resentment towards those who have more than you? Why does this jealousy and resentment manifest itself in your people voting for demagogues like Obama who promise to take from others and give to you? There's no such thing as a society where everyone is a millionaire. Some people are going to be more successful than others, it's human nature. So what if your neighbor has a fancier car than you? Why do you feel entitled to have the government take your neighbor's fancier car and give it to you? If anything, it should make you want to strive to be more successful, so you can have a fancy car too. If you can't, it's because your neighbor is smarter and/or harder working than you are. So if your neighbor is smarter/harder working than you, why shouldn't they have more wealth and you? You have the opportunity to improve yourself. If you're too lazy and stupid to take advantage of your opportunities, then you deserve to have less.
Penny Envy.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:03 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,753 times
factsplease touches on it - i believe that a great industrialized country like ours shouldn't let hard working people fall through the cracks. a shift manager at mcdonald's or a line worker at a factory should not have to work two jobs to be able to afford health insurance, a decent school for their children, reliable transportation, and all the other necessities of life. this isn't medieval england where the poor should eat onion soup 7 days a week and die at 35.

i think a factor contributing to the increased polarization of views and division of wealth is how we have geographically separated ourselves from one another. some of the middle class in the suburbs* - the type who usually have views like those of the OP - have a view of the lower class molded by AM radio and not by reality. If we lived closer to each other, we would see that the strong majority - easily more than 80 or 90% of the people at the "bottom" work harder and longer than most of us who earn twice as much money and enjoy the benefits of either a decent education and an entrepreneurial bend or the more typical combination of a decent upbringing and good education.

* the suburbs are a diverse place with many progressive ideals. however, the particular viewpoint i am describing seems to be more prevelant in these areas.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:42 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
I mean seriously, why do all you people harbor such jealousy and resentment towards those who have more than you? Why does this jealousy and resentment manifest itself in your people voting for demagogues like Obama who promise to take from others and give to you? There's no such thing as a society where everyone is a millionaire. Some people are going to be more successful than others, it's human nature. So what if your neighbor has a fancier car than you? Why do you feel entitled to have the government take your neighbor's fancier car and give it to you? If anything, it should make you want to strive to be more successful, so you can have a fancy car too. If you can't, it's because your neighbor is smarter and/or harder working than you are. So if your neighbor is smarter/harder working than you, why shouldn't they have more wealth and you? You have the opportunity to improve yourself. If you're too lazy and stupid to take advantage of your opportunities, then you deserve to have less.
- Why do you even think people are fixated on others who have more than they do?
- And those who actually are fixated (odd word in this context, I have never met anyone like that) on that, might be sensitive enough to realize that the gap has grown way too wide. A certain difference is OK, but the extreme differences most societies now have are unhealthy for society as a whole.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:04 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I really don't care how much "they" have but I am deeply concerned that I do not lose what little I have. I would like to be a businessman again but without any capital or time I can just keep planning. I will just keep doing this job until I retire. Then, with a smaller, but guaranteed income I do not have to spend any time earning, I will then work for myself. I am a skilled energy and environmental engineer so I think there will be a market for my expertise. After I retire I do not intend to be anyone’s employee.

I am more concerned with losing what income I have (been there, done that several times as a kid) than the very small possibility of being economically "successful". I consider this to be a more prudent behavior than putting my family at risk. This is why I am very tired of the "work hard and you will succeed" propagandists. The reality is that without capital hard work will only make you tired.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:12 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I really don't care how much "they" have but I am deeply concerned that I do not lose what little I have. I would like to be a businessman again but without any capital or time I can just keep planning. I will just keep doing this job until I retire. Then, with a smaller, but guaranteed income I do not have to spend any time earning, I will then work for myself. I am a skilled energy and environmental engineer so I think there will be a market for my expertise. After I retire I do not intend to be anyone’s employee.

I am more concerned with losing what income I have (been there, done that several times as a kid) than the very small possibility of being economically "successful". I consider this to be a more prudent behavior than putting my family at risk. This is why I am very tired of the "work hard and you will succeed" propagandists. The reality is that without capital hard work will only make you tired.
Maybe that's why rich people don't retire, look at Soros, had he been a miner he would be retired by now

Old 10-19-2010, 08:28 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
It's not about petty feelings. It's about this country turning into a Third World Country where all the wealth is at the top.

It isn't your neighbor who wants to take your car. It's executives who want to take all you have.

In the 50's,60's executives made 30-40% more than the average worker...economy did pretty well....and it certainly did better than now with executives making %400 to 600 more than the average worker.

WHO wants to take what you earned?

If you have Health Care insurance you will pay whatever an executive decides you have to pay...those premiums have been going up for years(EVEN BEFORE OBAMA TOOK OFFICE) at the whim of executives and YOU haven't had an upgrade in your care.

WHO wants what you earn ??? YOU deserve to have less because an executive wants more and has the power to take it. Your neighbor doesn't have that power....

Work harder? How hard is hard enough?

Old 10-19-2010, 08:34 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
It's not about petty feelings. It's about this country turning into a Third World Country where all the wealth is at the top.

It isn't your neighbor who wants to take your car. It's executives who want to take all you have.

In the 50's,60's executives made 30-40% more than the average worker...economy did pretty well....and it certainly did better than now with executives making %400 to 600 more than the average worker.

WHO wants to take what you earned?

If you have Health Care insurance you will pay whatever an executive decides you have to pay...those premiums have been going up for years(EVEN BEFORE OBAMA TOOK OFFICE) at the whim of executives and YOU haven't had an upgrade in your care.

WHO wants what you earn ??? YOU deserve to have less because an executive wants more and has the power to take it. Your neighbor doesn't have that power....

Work harder? How hard is hard enough?

no, thats not how I see it. I am more worried about gov't (all forms) nickel & diming me to death. Parking tickets, additional taxes, fees, etc. They always claim that it is for a good cause but that is BS. There is proof that photo tickets do not make us safer, - it is a money making scheme. We should not have laws in place that are designed to take money away from citizens.
These things cause animosity & resent towards police. They do not need more of that now do they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies