Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 02:53 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
You people don't seem to get it. I'm a small business owner, and my husband is in upper management, plus is a shareholder in the company that he works for. We do ok, and we've worked hard to get there. If the people below us aren't doing ok, our businesses are going to fail. No one is talking about a handout for the middle class--they're talking about not putting more burden on them so they fall even lower on the economic poll. I can afford to pay a little more in taxes until the country stabilizes itself. If we have a balanced budget and a surplus, then heck yes--cut all our taxes. They just better make sure they can pay for those cuts, and not go on another drunken government spending spree, or we fall back into the same mess we're in right now. I don't get this "I've got mine so to heck with the rest of the world" attitude some of you have. I've got mine, but I know to keep it, I've got to make sure that my customers can make it too. You can't just look to the end of your own nose.

EDIT--one last comment. Spending to get us out of a near depression, or to save long term on health care, isn't empty spending--it's an investment. You can't cut government spending in a recession.

^^^
This!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 02:54 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Default Why are you people so fixated on others who have more than you?

I don't think i know anyone fixated on what others have, I'm sure there are folks like that out there but I see more people who compare what they have to people who have less, i think thats a worst problem.
People need to be satisfied with what they have, if a person wants more then put out more effort to get it but on the same hand don't brag or gloat over someone who has less.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:12 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
You are correct. I have been well off and poor and now I am "comfortable" again. I am 56 and no longer working. I have plenty of money. I lost a daughter in a car accident a few years ago and I struggle daily with that. I have another daughter in the military, that I worry about, but I can't change that because she is doing what she feels is right. I have a son that struggles with a drug problem which affects our whole family. And my oldest son works a manual labor job and is happy with his life.

Having money solves one problem in your life. ONE period.

You can't control the things that happen around you. You ever know what tomorrow will bring. What I have today could be gone tomorrow.

In this day and age nothing is forever. I think when one segment of the population is targeted as "bad" for not seeing to the needs of the population at large it becomes intimidating. People seem to forget that in addition to the federal taxes the top earners pay in they are also paying taxes on their employees, capital gains taxes, property taxes, insurance for their families and employees etc. Yes they have more, but it costs more to have it. And for every "THING" you have comes the responsiblity of taking care of it.

All people have stress in their lives, money is not the only stress that exists.
I was happy when I was poor. I am happy now. But you have hardships regardless. The grass is just a different shade of green.

Great post, and i most surely agree with you. We have been on the verge of being poorer when we were young for such a long time. Things do change, they never ever stay the same, some grow and learn, while others in life stay stagnet. People just make me cringe when they feel that those that make a decent living, don't pay their way, with taxes, capital gains, property taxex, insurance and all the important things we need to survive. We do, but more of it, and never seem to catch a break, so i appreciate you understanding the truth, while so many cannot phantom the truth. Regardless if you have money or do not have it, or never have had it, you still share in heartaches, and hardships. That money does help and the grass may be a bit greener, but money will never buy you happiness, if it does not come from within the soul, and can't buy you being healthy. I don't look upon the poor, what i fret about, are those around me, who expect to take, but never expect to give!

Old 10-19-2010, 03:15 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I would never be so stupid as to work that much, frankly If I had that much work I would obviously need a partner as it is more than twice the amount typical of a full-time job...
I do it most weeks.

That is what owning a business is like for me.

80 hours would be an easy week.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:22 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Let me counter with a MUCH superior question to yours...

WHY DO THOSE WHO ALREADY HAVE MUCH MORE THAN THEY COULD EVER NEED SEEM TO THINK THAT THEY SHOULD BE EXEMPT FROM SUPPORTING THE SOCIETY THAT HAS GRANTED THEM SO MUCH AND SHOULD SHIFT PART OF THEIR LOAD TO THOSE LESS FORTUNATE?

Your putting your own words into reading something that is not true. How has society given to my husband or my Son in his early thirties who makes very good money, they never gave him a damn thing believe me. My Son put himself thru school, was in school for 10 years while working maybe 3 jobs at the same time, you sure did not support him, Government never gave him a big Gift, he did this on his own, Society granted my Son not a damn thing, so get over it. I happen to know some less fortunate those who are out there pulling their own, and trying to better themselves, while to tell you the truth, there are those in life who expect to be treated special, get something for nothing, not ever intend to work, and bitc- at what those around them have. I don't want to hear any garbage. Most People born in this Country have the opportunity to better themselves, if they choose, some make the right choices in life, while, some do not and never intend to have a goal just expect to take and take and take, but never intend to work for it, i call that sheer laziness. And living off the butts of the Government.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:23 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,841,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dawg View Post
I mean seriously, why do all you people harbor such jealousy and resentment towards those who have more than you? Why does this jealousy and resentment manifest itself in your people voting for demagogues like Obama who promise to take from others and give to you? There's no such thing as a society where everyone is a millionaire. Some people are going to be more successful than others, it's human nature. So what if your neighbor has a fancier car than you? Why do you feel entitled to have the government take your neighbor's fancier car and give it to you? If anything, it should make you want to strive to be more successful, so you can have a fancy car too. If you can't, it's because your neighbor is smarter and/or harder working than you are. So if your neighbor is smarter/harder working than you, why shouldn't they have more wealth and you? You have the opportunity to improve yourself. If you're too lazy and stupid to take advantage of your opportunities, then you deserve to have less.
A song from the depression era might be appropriate here......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG0gE...eature=related

Old 10-19-2010, 04:09 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I do it most weeks.

That is what owning a business is like for me.

80 hours would be an easy week.
Well, maybe later on you will regret having wasted all that precious time. I certainly would, my brother is a workaholic and I feel so sorry for him.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:19 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,841,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Visit the unemployment forum here on CD. I challenge you to find a single person on that forum who spends 80 hours/week job hunting.
Interesting considering you'd dispute any member that claimed they did.........

Old 10-19-2010, 04:21 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Well, maybe later on you will regret having wasted all that precious time. I certainly would, my brother is a workaholic and I feel so sorry for him.
Most of us in the cutthroat corporate world have no choice. You work 80 hours a week, or you get laid off in the next round of layoffs (into the worst job market in American history). My husband's mega-corporation employer has been slashing staff every year for more than 20 years now, to pay for the Robber-Baron CEO's multi-million dollar salaries and golden parachutes (for spending a year or two making horrendously bad business decisions that cost the company BILLIONS). They voided his vested pension after he had been working for them for over 15 years, through a legal scam.

Government never protects the people. It protects its own power and voracious appetite for the citizen's earnings.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:33 PM

19,840 posts, read 12,102,488 times
[quote=Who?Me?!;16315386]
In the 50's,60's executives made 30-40% more than the average worker...economy did pretty well....and it certainly did better than now with executives making %400 to 600 more than the average worker.

If you are going to throw around ridiculous statements such as these and attempt to pass them off as facts you need to provide a source. Based on your statement, if the average worker made $45,000/yr the average executives would be making $18,000,000. - $27,000,000./yr. I would love to see how common those salaries are.

If you have Health Care insurance you will pay whatever an executive decides you have to pay...those premiums have been going up for years(EVEN BEFORE OBAMA TOOK OFFICE) at the whim of executives and YOU haven't had an upgrade in your care.

If you haven't noticed, Americans are increasingly more obese than ever before with a penchant for processed foods. This is part of the reason for the increase in the cost of health insurance premiums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies