Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 11:08 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times

Advertisements

Folks--you can't have it both ways. You either need to raise taxes, or make dramatic cuts to federal programs, and that isn't going to happen--no one has the stomach for it, although a broad group of both democrat and republican members of congress are calling now for better efficiency in military spending (one of our biggest money sucks)--it's about time. We cut taxes and went on a military spending binge. If I did that with my home budget--reduced my income and started spending money I didn't have--I'd be broke too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 11:09 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,753 times
this typical right-wing rant is so far off the mark it is laughable. maybe your nature is to accumulate as much as possible and work all the time, but that isn't "human nature." some people believe a better society is created by working together, not kicking the hands of the guy behind you on the ladder and tugging the feet of the guy ahead of you.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:15 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
this typical right-wing rant is so far off the mark it is laughable. maybe your nature is to accumulate as much as possible and work all the time, but that isn't "human nature." some people believe a better society is created by working together, not kicking the hands of the guy behind you on the ladder and tugging the feet of the guy ahead of you.
Human nature is all about survival. The most important person in anyone's life is themselves. A person's number 1 job is to make sure they themselves are ok and can survive. If you can't help yourself how can you help anyone else? It is typical left-wing nuttiness that suggests that people do for others before they do for themselves.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:25 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Human nature is all about survival. The most important person in anyone's life is themselves. A person's number 1 job is to make sure they themselves are ok and can survive. If you can't help yourself how can you help anyone else? It is typical left-wing nuttiness that suggests that people do for others before they do for themselves.
So sometimes thinking of others before yourself is "left wing nuttiness."

You just made me feel really good about being moderately liberal

Old 10-18-2010, 11:30 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
So sometimes thinking of others before yourself is "left wing nuttiness."

You just made me feel really good about being moderately liberal
No, that's not what I said. I said Human Nature is all about YOUR OWN survival. It has nothing to do with anyone else. Once YOU are able to take care of yourself, then and only then can you help other people out. Left-wing nutiness is when Liberals think you have to look out for other people BEFORE you look out for yourself. Let me ask you something. Are you willing to lower your standard of living so someone you don't even know can have the same things you do without putting in the effort? I bet you wouldn't. If you say you would, you are only saying that on this board, but I know for a fact that nobody is willing to lower their living standards for someone they don't even know. Don't even lie and say you would.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:33 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
I really like what you said!

However, democrats are not capable of thinking that way. They will always be the party of "take from someone else and give to me"
Anything to support that statement, other than your opinion?

Old 10-18-2010, 11:40 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dawg View Post
I mean seriously, why do all you people harbor such jealousy and resentment towards those who have more than you? Why does this jealousy and resentment manifest itself in your people voting for demagogues like Obama who promise to take from others and give to you? There's no such thing as a society where everyone is a millionaire. Some people are going to be more successful than others, it's human nature. So what if your neighbor has a fancier car than you? Why do you feel entitled to have the government take your neighbor's fancier car and give it to you? If anything, it should make you want to strive to be more successful, so you can have a fancy car too. If you can't, it's because your neighbor is smarter and/or harder working than you are. So if your neighbor is smarter/harder working than you, why shouldn't they have more wealth and you? You have the opportunity to improve yourself. If you're too lazy and stupid to take advantage of your opportunities, then you deserve to have less.

Speaking for myself, I don't vote Democrat. And I agree with you for what you said. Personally I don't care if they have a mansion or Rolls Royce or a fat account.

What bothers me is sometimes the comments I read on the forum " I don't owe anybody anything, my only responsibilty is to take care of myself". While that is often true, does that translate to getting rich at the sake of others?

I read comments of "it is my business I started nobody has the right to tell me what to do with it". Does that translate to hiring illegal or foreign cheap labor to get rich personally at the expense of fellow countrymen?

And then there is health care. Say someone has a condition that costs $20, 000 a year to treat that is readily treatable.. A rich person can pay that without loosing any lifestyle while a person making 40k or so is basically screwed yet the treatment costs the same no matter the person's background.

If someone who is ultra wealthy is going to decree that they have no responsibilty to anyone else in those situations then I disagree there. Because I often see those who support the rich not being taxed,also say that business such as insurance should be free from regulation and that business should be free to hire cheap labor (looking out for ones self only with no duty to another) even when it hurts the country and drives other fellow Americans into a lower economic status.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:45 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,867,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
Republicans do have a knack for twisting this concept.
We are actually fascinated by the wealthy who are fixated on getting even more while they make sure everyone else gets less. The wealthy Republican is also fixated on power over other people (the economic instability of folks gives them even more power over folks...its called serfdom). Folks of lesser means are fixated on avoiding powerless serfdom at all times.

It's thoughts like this that I don't get. Yes, there are people that are motivated to get ahead in life. I and some of my friends have worked 70 to 90 hours per week to try to get ahead. That's the equvalant of two full time jobs at once. If I work that hard to get what I want why is that bad?

How does "me" trying to get ahead hold "you" back? How does that make me powerful and you powerless? If I work hard enough that I am someday able to hire people to help me work toward my goal am I bad for doing that? Aren't we trying to find ways to create jobs right now? So why am I seen (in your eyes) as trying to exert my power over you by providing you with a job? Doesn't providing you with a job help you to achieve your goal of "avoiding serfdom"?

In the analogy that you give the republicans are motivated by getting more so they work two jobs to ensure that. You are motivated to avoid serfdom. There is a difference in the goals we set for ourselves. Yet you think that after I work to achieve my goals I should share with you when that wasn't your goal to begin with. To me, if I work hard to get my money and you set your goals at a lower level than I did...we have both met our goal so why should I be responsible for giving you something you weren't motivated to get on your own?

Old 10-18-2010, 11:46 AM

4,049 posts, read 2,741,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dawg View Post
I mean seriously, why do all you people harbor such jealousy and resentment towards those who have more than you? Why does this jealousy and resentment manifest itself in your people voting for demagogues like Obama who promise to take from others and give to you? There's no such thing as a society where everyone is a millionaire. Some people are going to be more successful than others, it's human nature. So what if your neighbor has a fancier car than you? Why do you feel entitled to have the government take your neighbor's fancier car and give it to you? If anything, it should make you want to strive to be more successful, so you can have a fancy car too. If you can't, it's because your neighbor is smarter and/or harder working than you are. So if your neighbor is smarter/harder working than you, why shouldn't they have more wealth and you? You have the opportunity to improve yourself. If you're too lazy and stupid to take advantage of your opportunities, then you deserve to have less.

Wouldn't life be lovely if everyone thought like you.
Are those who are disabled or sick & have lost everything because of their medical bills part of the group you call 'lazy & stupid'?

The Bigger picture is the shrinking of the middle class backbone in this country who are now hurting & NOT wanting the corporations to continue to make record profits.
I haven't heard anyone say they will take from some to give to others.
I have heard those who want some who enjoyed big tax breaks to now pay their share.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:41 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,867,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post

I haven't heard anyone say they will take from some to give to others.
I have heard those who want some who enjoyed big tax breaks to now pay their share.

Didn't everyone get tax breaks? Why would only SOME have to now pay their fair share?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies