U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 09:59 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,394,333 times

Advertisements

I'm all for diversity however I'd prefer it happen naturally. Meaning gradually over time, not by law or something of that matter. Also the individuals should want to get to know each other, otherwise you have a diverse neighborhood w/ racial tension.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:29 AM

16,885 posts, read 13,006,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Ok, so I have been thinking about this question for a while now and it would be nice to hear both sides or see what else runs through your minds.

I see the conservatives sitting around screaming about how diversity sucks and multiculturalism does not work.

I see the liberals sitting around screaming about diversity is important and they believe in affirmative action.

I do not get either side. Conservatives, there is no way we can have just one culture or one religion or race in the USA. Liberals, there is no way to fit each and every culture into the USA.

But at the same time, I see where conservatives are coming from. Immigrants of today have just changed their mindsets.Not saying ALL immigrants are like this but from what I see in the Indian community (since I am Indian), I see big differences. They used to be so hard working and would show their loyalty to the USA. Immigrants of today feel they are special and entitled to a job as soon as they get off the plane and while having this mentality, they talk about the USA and how bad it is and how much they miss India. This is not an observation from just Indian immigrants but from other cultures too. It bugs me because I love the USA. My parents are immigrants and they love the USA more than India. They are loyal to the USA first but the generation of immigrants now are just "My home country was better...blah blah". GO BACK then!

I also see where liberals are coming from. Everyone has a right to practice their religion and live in their culture or lifestyle here. America is about freedom. There are poor people everywhere and you want them to be able to live their lives without persecution. It bugs me though because I don't believe EVERY single culture or way of living belongs here. Cultures that value men over women and cultures that believe in honor killings or stonings still. Cultures that are still so back-assed in the past that there is no way they can co exist with us.

My take on it: For me, I am a mix. I would not mind having a Christian, Hindu, Buddhist, Wiccan, Muslim (as long as they were peaceful) neighbor no matter what his/her skin color was. BUT I do not agree with going out of our way to make sure we are "diverse" or have a certain amount of Hispanics or Blacks here or there. Why should we accommodate to Muslims so they can pray 5 times a day? The only faith/culture I have an issue with is Islamic for obvious reasons. I'd fight against Sharia Law with my life. But I won't go there. That is for another thread.

To conservatives: So, what do you think we can do? If you hate diversity or whatever so much, what are you looking for? An all white Christian country? Do you hate seeing people of different faiths and religions here? Or are you ok with peaceful people of different faiths? You would not mind a Buddhist or Hindu temple being built by you? What is your take? I know a lot of you all don't like Muslims/Islam BUT are you ok with other faiths?

To liberals: Do you all really think we can have ALL different types of people here from different cultures and co exist? For real? I don't think so. Why are you all into making sure we have certain perks for minorities or whatever. Why is multiculturalism and diversity so important? If race is just a skin color and we are all the same, they why special perks for minorities?

Also, last but not least, if you just came to the USA and hate it so much, you have the freedom to leave!!

Thanks for reading. Man, I had so much to think about lately. I should be studying my math though.

I do not mind any immigrant coming to the USA legally. also when an immigrant gets their citizenship, they should also have to have a test of proficiency in English as well. Also, no government forms at all should be in any language except English. if you cant read, then too bad.

All persons coming into the USA illegally should be put back across the border from where they came from, and have a felony attached to them. meaning that once the felony tag is hung upon them, they shall never get citizenship in the USA at all.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:17 AM

36,473 posts, read 16,259,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I do not mind any immigrant coming to the USA legally. also when an immigrant gets their citizenship, they should also have to have a test of proficiency in English as well. Also, no government forms at all should be in any language except English. if you cant read, then too bad.

All persons coming into the USA illegally should be put back across the border from where they came from, and have a felony attached to them. meaning that once the felony tag is hung upon them, they shall never get citizenship in the USA at all.
Agreed, and our legal immigration numbers need to be more diversified to aid in assimilation rather than colonization. Family reunification needs to be curbed also.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:58 AM

11,723 posts, read 9,351,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i don't want a multiculture neighborhood, don't mind a multi culture country, i just want to live with my own ethic. like china town or little italy. i just want to embrace my heritage . i don't want to look at quanta in every store. its not racist, its not bidoty or prejudice. its like an indian reservation, one group, one family. there some country if you not their ethic group don't even think of moving there. i,m just talking about my neighborhood, couple miles wide. not the whole country or county
There are plenty of trailer parks where your kind can live like you are on an indian reservation

Old 08-16-2014, 08:04 AM

11,059 posts, read 6,467,040 times
Multiculturalism is good. It brings us different experiences. Just obey the laws, be nice, and respect our founding principles. If that goes against a particular culture, then we don't want that culture here.

Old 08-16-2014, 08:11 AM

23,860 posts, read 11,864,057 times
Quote:
I do not get either side. Conservatives, there is no way we can have just one culture or one religion or race in the USA. Liberals, there is no way to fit each and every culture into the USA.
People who immigrate need to embrace American culture. All too often, they try to turn the US into a mirror image of the hellhole they left. They can have their culture and celebrate it, but not to try to force what they believe on other people.

Also after getting here, they don't like it, leave.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:19 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,355,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Multiculturalism is good. It brings us different experiences. Just obey the laws, be nice, and respect our founding principles. If that goes against a particular culture, then we don't want that culture here.
Lately though you are talking about people from third world countries.
They have lived under corrupt governments. They come here and live in the shadows and pay no mind to the law. All they want is to be left alone and make money and live how they see fit.

And eventually they will come around because others living around them do not want this country turning into what they fled from.

Others will call the county inspector because digging an open hole next to that trailer is NOT acceptable for waste removal or tapping into the hydrant at the street and running a hose through the window is NOT acceptable for a water hookup.

Little things like that will take time for them to understand that we live differently here in the US.

(FYI..those above are true stories of crap that happens out in rural areas).

Old 08-16-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unconcerned View Post
Who would wish to even consider the inclusion of a culture that makes up only 12% of the total populace, yet is responsible for 52% of all violent crimes committed and make up 70% of all incarcerations within our penal system? Not I.
Of course someone had to remind us of this. Most of those violent crimes are against others of the same color. Unfortunately blacks are killing each other, however they do not make up the majority of the population of the black race here in the states. Sad that nobody wants to talk about blacks doing well or blacks involved in the corporate world or in humanitarianism. Like it or not, we are here to stay.

When ppl ask "why is there a NAACP" or something similar I can usually say "well it's because of like you" b/c usually the persons that ask such have your mindset.

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-05-2014 at 05:05 AM.. Reason: language

Old 08-16-2014, 02:42 PM

201 posts, read 125,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Of course someone had to remind us of this. Most of those violent crimes are against others of the same color. Unfortunately blacks are killing each other, however they do not make up the majority of the population of the black race here in the states. Sad that nobody wants to talk about blacks doing well or blacks involved in the corporate world or in humanitarianism. Like it or not, we are here to stay.

When ppl ask "why is there a NAACP" or something similar I can usually say "well it's because of like you" b/c usually the persons that ask such have your mindset.
Damming statics aren't they? The statics were made by BLACKS - not by any other ethnic group or like me. Sorry about the truth.

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-05-2014 at 05:05 AM.. Reason: language

Old 08-16-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unconcerned View Post
Damming statics aren't they? The statics were made by BLACKS - not by any other ethnic group or dickheads like me. Sorry about the truth.
Doubt it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies