Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 01:20 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Is there some point to this thread?

I mean every one will talk a good game, but no one will actually do anything to stop it.

That should be obvious by the fact that they steam-rolled legislation to allow employers to automatically enroll employees into 401k plans without the consent of the employee and no one did anything except whine pedantically. I mean we all know and understand how "opt out" does not work (since it requires effort on the part of the individual).

What do you suppose the real purpose and intent of that legislation was?

It's actually a moot point since the government can declare certain types of emergencies and seize your retirement assets anyway.
I'm not aware of anyone being forced to participate in a 401K plan. Do you understand what you're talking about? A 401K plan allows an employee to save money for retirement using pre-tax dollars. And those contributions are matched at some level by the employer. But if an employee doesn't want to save anything he doesn't have to. So what's the problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 01:26 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have one of those things and I think I will start spending it before Wall Street gets the rest. If it wound up in the Federal Treasury at least I would get all of it back instead of what is left after the next looting.
You hope you get it back. Basically the purpose of this proposal is to give government a chunk of the retirement funds now privately invested in exchange for government bonds. If the government defaults on its obligation the bonds are worthless. Poof! There goes your retirement. Or if the government is unable to meet its obligations it can simply deflate the currency so that what they give you for your bonds is worth less than what you paid for them. Think it can't happen? It did in Argentina. And it is happening with state pension funds.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:24 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have one of those things and I think I will start spending it before Wall Street gets the rest. If it wound up in the Federal Treasury at least I would get all of it back instead of what is left after the next looting.
You're kidding, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Is there some point to this thread?

I mean every one will talk a good game, but no one will actually do anything to stop it.

That should be obvious by the fact that they steam-rolled legislation to allow employers to automatically enroll employees into 401k plans without the consent of the employee and no one did anything except whine pedantically. I mean we all know and understand how "opt out" does not work (since it requires effort on the part of the individual).

What do you suppose the real purpose and intent of that legislation was?
Well, according to you we're all a miserable, apathetic, whiney populace, aren't we. Are you a politician by any chance? That's how they view us.

Contrary to what you say, people can and do make the effort to opt out if they want to opt out. It's no effort, and no one is forced to participate.

It was passed as a result of investment lobby efforts since they all wanted more $$ under management. Gives them a boost up on the big Board. And better buying and leveraging opportunities. When the market is doing well, it's also a good boost to the employee to be in it and watch the company match and their contribution growing.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:34 PM

73 posts, read 74,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
An evidence of this is to not extend the Bush tax cuts to those making over $250,000. A group that represents about 1% of the American public. That's a strange way to grab up more money.

Why?, that 1% gets 15-20 percent of all US income,hard to tell exactly since the bulk of it is in foreign banks in tax-havens worldwide.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:39 PM

73 posts, read 74,043 times
[quote=southward bound;16321374]You're kidding, right?

Well, according to you we're all a miserable, apathetic, whiney populace, aren't we. Are you a politician by any chance? That's how they view us.

Contrary to what you say, people can and do make the effort to opt out if they want to opt out. It's no effort, and no one is forced to participate.

It was passed as a result of investment lobby efforts since they all wanted more $$ under management. Gives them a boost up on the big Board. And better buying and leveraging opportunities. When the market is doing well, it's also a good boost to the employee to be in it and watch the company match and their contribution growing.[/quote

In many big corps opting out and not buying the company stock ended your career if not cost you your job.

If the US economy was a cancer patient it would be in stage 7 .

Old 10-19-2010, 03:44 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,323,649 times
I'm gonna go on record as saying that I don't by the OP. Has anyone run this through snopes.com?

Old 10-19-2010, 03:49 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
I'm gonna go on record as saying that I don't by the OP. Has anyone run this through snopes.com?
Don't know whatr snopes says.

This is a matter of public record. Obama Adminstration officials have talked about this off and on since they have been in office.

It's not a secret they have discussed it.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:19 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
And..on top of that the biggest of the banksters are also fighting to be the "holding bank" for that money. Those would be JPM and GS.

Goldman Sachs -- Your 401(k) Manager? - NYTimes.com

Old 10-19-2010, 05:34 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
I did some digging around online and what I found referred to elimination of the tax break from having a 401k, not taking your money and rolling it into a national plan.

Would Obama, Dems Kill 401(k) Plans? - Capital Commerce (usnews.com)

This article is from 2008 and there hasn't been any other news traffic about it anywhere online that comes after 2008. Don't buy into the partisan panic mongering that happens when none of this stuff can be substantiated by any NEW facts.

Don't know about the site that the O.P. posted, it seems pretty extreme.

Go search the congressional record if you really want to know what's going on.

The web has a lot of nonsense around. Don't allow your good brain to be washed by propaganda.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:26 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Several think tank people have spoken to Congress on this.
The most known is Teresa Ghilarducci but that didn't make front pages.

The New School for Social Research :: Teresa Ghilarducci Featured in Money Magazine

She wants to save all our pensions..both SS and 401Ks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies