U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 08:50 PM
Status: ""a mind that understands science"" (set 10 days ago)

18,832 posts, read 12,134,015 times

Advertisements

Okay- here is how we cut spending-

1. Raise social security eligibility to age 72

2. cut current social security payments 25% across the board

3. Raise medicare enrollment age to 72

4. Mandate generic only drugs for medicare/medicaid enrollees

5. reverse deductibles for medicare enrollees over age 85 for inpatient hospital care- 80% copay 20% medicare coverage

6. Cut military spending 25% across the board

7. one session term limits

8. line item veto

9. repeal NAFTA

10. repeal China most favored nation trade status

11. repeal Obamacare

12. suspend foriegn aid

13. enforce the borders and deport the illegals

14. 10% VAT tax

There you go- budget problem solved. Any other problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 11:33 PM

11,456 posts, read 12,700,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Because the RINO wimps that they are, they are afraid to say they will cut back on the scope federal government. The solution is so easy to pay for the tax cuts, they are just afraid to appear like Ron Paul and actually make people be more responsible for themselves. Oh the horror!
The GOP had a chance to put Ron Paul up, but instead attacked him and treated him like some conspiracy nut. They chose a couple of losers instead.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:02 AM

Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
25,235 posts, read 13,983,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Typical Republican non-solution focused on what else...tax cuts. We had 8 years of this under Bush and look where it got us.

Republicans Struggle To Say How They Would Pay For Tax Cuts (VIDEO)

1. tax cuts dont have to be paid for....there is no such thing...cut the spending

2. even if the tax cuts cost money (CBO ESTIMATE is about 700 billion OVER a 10 YEAR PERIOD)...that's about 70 billion a year

3. Let's use 2010 numbers.

Of the $2.381 billion in revenue that the federal government is projected to receive in 2010:
$1.061 trillion was from the income tax (so adding 70 billion to that is NOTHING)
$940 billion was from payroll taxes (SS/medicaide tax)(btw $1.131 trillion will be spent on Social Security and Medicare in 2010, more than was taken in.)
$222 billion was from corporate taxes
$77 billion was from excise taxes
$23 billion was from customs duties
$20 billion was from estate and gift taxes
$16 billion was from all other sources

the problem is that the government SPENT 3.7 trillion.... causing a 1.3 trillion deficit

to say that you need to pay for a tax cut for the PEOPLE, is incorrect and Unethical

cut the spending

Old 10-21-2010, 10:27 AM

3,566 posts, read 4,611,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
What the heck are you talking about? The government doesn't give SS to stay at home parents just for being a SAHP. I know plenty of stay at home parents and NONE of them receive SS. I surely never got SS when I was raising my kids and not working.
Go reread what I wrote.

One or two pages prior to where you left off from.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Can you clarify this statement? Because it seems like the one part of the federal government you do not want to end, is the one where it maintains control over the people.
You didn't offer a plan. You didn't say where to cut the money from. Just a list of places. So, no not really. Which part is "the one part"?

Quote:
Which orifice did you pull this out of? Where have I discussed corporations? But since you bring it up, are you in favor of the billions of dollars in new green energy subsidizes, that are going into the pockets of corporations like GE? Or is it just support for mothers who stay home to raise children that you oppose?
It is the only part that you didn't respond to in my post. But since you brought it up, before I go down this road, what is your stance on climate change or disruption or whatever we are calling it today? I am not going to spend the next 22 pages in an argument where the core of it is because you believe that humans do not contribute. Renewable sources are few in some areas of this country. That is a problem. Each sector, like electricity or oil has different problems and answers. The quick, quick answer that I have is HELL NO but that is also quite simplistic.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:08 AM

69,372 posts, read 55,371,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
You didn't offer a plan. You didn't say where to cut the money from. Just a list of places. So, no not really. Which part is "the one part"?
The federal government has grown 21% since Obama has been elected.. (this excludes stimulus bill, tarp bill and military spending).. I'd say finding places to cut would be rather simple.. STOP GROWING..

Old 10-21-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
And pray tell who cares for a disabled child when these "parasites" of parents have to find employment outside of the home?

And I'll bet a dollar to a dime that this poster is "pro-life". Don't abort that down syndrome, or autistic fetus, but we'll be damned if you'll get a dime from us to care for their upbringing.
Or the parent dies?

Old 10-21-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Stay at home parents are a problem, and we must strive to rub itout in our life time.

Meanwhile, our tax dollars need to go to educate, feed and clothe illegal aliens in our country, subsidize 0bama's many green energy projects, and fund all the millions of dollars in foreign aid, for important matters like birth control, drilling for oil, renovating mosques and teaching African men how to wash their genitals after sex. gotcha.

You talk a lot about responsibility but when it gets down to it, not much there.

If you have 5.1 million women and some couple hundred thousand men that are not putting into the system yet will be taking from it, that should send up a little red flag. I'm going to tell you this point blank, raising the age to access SS higher than what it is currently is a mistake. You may very well have people who are willing to work but that doesn't mean that there are those that are willing to hire. Therefore, you go through and make changes where necessary. The 5.1 million women and some couple hundred thousand men may as well be taking from those that have put into the system and leaving them to the dogs. But hey, they got theirs.

And it is completely different from the illegal immigration problem and the "green" projects, and foreign aid and birth control, drilling for oil etc. and so on. You don't win the ability to make crazy little comparisons.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The federal government has grown 21% since Obama has been elected.. (this excludes stimulus bill, tarp bill and military spending).. I'd say finding places to cut would be rather simple.. STOP GROWING..

Why, yes, pgh, that makes perfect sense. Lets all stand around and throw a knip**** without ever actually addressing the inherent problems that we have and will continue to have.

That way, no matter what changes happen we are absolved from ANY responsibility.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:35 AM

69,372 posts, read 55,371,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Why, yes, pgh, that makes perfect sense. Lets all stand around and throw a knip**** without ever actually addressing the inherent problems that we have and will continue to have.

That way, no matter what changes happen we are absolved from ANY responsibility.
And the more the government hands out, the less personal responsibility there will be..

Government IS the problem, NEVER the solution..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or