Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 12:03 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,358,694 times

Advertisements

I've read more than enough posts implying that if someone will not join a witch hunt they're un-American.

IF we could find 5,000 Muslims who'd participated in terror attacks they would represent 0.000333% of the world's Muslim population based on the conservative estimate of 1,500,000,000 worldwide. The equivalent percentage of the US population would be 1,000 people. Would you really think it wise, accurate, or fair to judge the entire population of the US by the actions of 1,000 Americans? There's far, far more than 1,000 Americans in jail, should an observer with no prior knowledge conclude from that fact that ALL Americans are criminals? I'd like to hear some logic behind juding a large group by such a small number.

And please, the Bible states "Thou shalt not kill" with no qualifiers, something we for good reason do not take literally. So even if the Koran may speak of killing infidels, and I'm not familiar enough to know if it does and/or in what context, are there any FACTS to indicate that any other than the radicals take the Koran any more literally than most take the Bible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 12:52 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,793,123 times
Hmmm Burdell...looks like you don't have any takers. May have been scared away by the request for facts, I am guessing.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:00 PM

451 posts, read 835,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I've read more than enough posts implying that if someone will not join a witch hunt they're un-American.

IF we could find 5,000 Muslims who'd participated in terror attacks they would represent 0.000333% of the world's Muslim population based on the conservative estimate of 1,500,000,000 worldwide. The equivalent percentage of the US population would be 1,000 people. Would you really think it wise, accurate, or fair to judge the entire population of the US by the actions of 1,000 Americans? There's far, far more than 1,000 Americans in jail, should an observer with no prior knowledge conclude from that fact that ALL Americans are criminals? I'd like to hear some logic behind juding a large group by such a small number.

And please, the Bible states "Thou shalt not kill" with no qualifiers, something we for good reason do not take literally. So even if the Koran may speak of killing infidels, and I'm not familiar enough to know if it does and/or in what context, are there any FACTS to indicate that any other than the radicals take the Koran any more literally than most take the Bible?
No argument here I think it's dangerous to judge any group of people by the actions of a few.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:09 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,938 times
Yeah, agreed..... Not sure what you're digging for here, but I don't recall anyone on this board banging the drum to kill all Muslims and that all Muslims are evil.

Who's on the witch hunt here exactly???

Old 07-05-2007, 01:23 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,652,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Hmmm Burdell...looks like you don't have any takers. May have been scared away by the request for facts, I am guessing.

Well there was that sticky about not responding to trollers. Looks like it worked. This is trolling defined.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
Yeah, agreed..... Not sure what you're digging for here, but I don't recall anyone on this board banging the drum to kill all Muslims and that all Muslims are evil.

Who's on the witch hunt here exactly???

Oh, I've seen a number of posts amounting to saying that all Muslims are taught they must kill infidels and given the chance will all act that way, that's why I brought up that I don't believe the Koran is taken literally by most Muslims unless someone can offer facts to the contrary.

I believe there's estimated to be about 750,000 Muslims in the US, if they were all out attemptiong to kill infidels surely the murder rate would be many times higher than it is.

Hell, show me someone proven guilty of a murderous act of terrorism and I'll happily flick the switch, pull the trigger, push the injection myself with no second thoughts but I think it's pretty much a witch hunt if you assume the guilt of a particular religious, ethnic, national group before any facts are known and evaluated.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Well there was that sticky about not responding to trollers. Looks like it worked. This is trolling defined.

I'd like to hear the explanation for that statement because as far as I'm concerned it's anything but.

Exactly how is it trolling to ask someone to explain the reason for there beliefs/actions? Sounds like discussion to me which is why I thought this forum existed.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:44 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Oh, I've seen a number of posts amounting to saying that all Muslims are taught they must kill infidels and given the chance will all act that way, that's why I brought up that I don't believe the Koran is taken literally by most Muslims unless someone can offer facts to the contrary.

I believe there's estimated to be about 750,000 Muslims in the US, if they were all out attemptiong to kill infidels surely the murder rate would be many times higher than it is.

Hell, show me someone proven guilty of a murderous act of terrorism and I'll happily flick the switch, pull the trigger, push the injection myself with no second thoughts but I think it's pretty much a witch hunt if you assume the guilt of a particular religious, ethnic, national group before any facts are known and evaluated.
Well, I'd pretty much narrow it down that "fundamentalists" of any religion tend to be a bit out there.

Many fundamentalist Christians are certainly no better than fundamentalist Muslims. Funny thing is that I think the "Holy War" is between them and at the very least I'll give the respect to the fundamentalist Muslims that they at least seem willing to actually do the fighting in that war....

Sad but true.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:49 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,793,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post

That stings.

Actually Burdell brings up an excellent point. There have been several threads/posts in this forum relating to specific passages in the Koran that would appear to "justify" killing. Check out the threads about 45 Muslim Doctors planning terror raids, Iraqi doctors behind attack, etc.

The implication is that Muslims (even the educated ones) are all getting together to go on a global jihad against us poor nice Christian folk, driven by the teachings of the Koran.

This would also lend one to justify having our entire army in Iraq to squash the Muslim hordes, instead of concentrating on using intelligence (no pun intended) and special forces to thwart specific plots and terrorist finances. If we acknowledge that the terrorists are actually radicals located all over the world then it becomes more difficult to justify why our entire army is sitting in Iraq policing a civil war.

I get it, Burdell.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post

Actually Burdell brings up an excellent point. There have been several threads/posts in this forum relating to specific passages in the Koran that would appear to "justify" killing. Check out the threads about 45 Muslim Doctors planning terror raids, Iraqi doctors behind attack, etc.

The implication is that Muslims (even the educated ones) are all getting together to go on a global jihad against us poor nice Christian folk, driven by the teachings of the Koran..
Thank You! That's exactly what I'm questioing.

After all, like I originally stated, the Bible says don't kill with no qualifiers yet we surely don't take it literally. It also speaks of taking care of your slaves and not sparing the rod with your children which aren't exactly held to be great ideas today. It's why I asked if there's any reason to believe that many Muslim beliefs haven't evolved in the same way many Christian beliefs have?

Believe me, if I wanted to troll I could do a much better job of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies