U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 12:30 AM

4,805 posts, read 9,400,522 times

Advertisements

I work as a meteorologist for the Natl Weather Service (federal govt). I would love to cut out the waste first and I would be more than willing to take a 2 yr pay freeze if it would help. But I am afraid the money saved would go to something else.

For example....when our office needs paper or other misc office supplies why can't we go down the nearest office supply store and get them? Instead we must buy from a GSA approved place hundreds of miles away with a mark up of 100 percent.

But I would say we all wish the answer to the feds problems were as simple as taken a pay freeze or cut...but unfortunately there are so many hands in the pot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 12:50 AM

5,721 posts, read 5,447,160 times
I don't agree with a hiring freeze. Simply put, there is work to be done. It'll be done whether it's by federal employees or by sub-contractors... and sub-contractors tend to rip off the government, meaning even more money spent by the federal government.

That said, it is clear that lower-level federal employees are overpaid compared to their private-sector equivalents. I would support a pay cut for them.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:56 AM

5,721 posts, read 5,447,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I think their pay should be cut down to about $80,000 maximum. The 15% sounds too small. Plus it's not so much that their pay is high, but they have outrageously generous pensions as well, much better than most private sector workers that cost a lot of money as well. It's the pensions where it hurts the checkbook the most.
I actually agree with this. You are taking a federal position for the mission, for the status, not for the paycheck. Why does any federal (or state) employee need to make 6 figures?

The public sector SHOULD be a labor of love. Underpaid. The reason we get so many people that just have a job and don't give a **** is that the pay is too good.

The public sector SHOULD be undesirable for anyone except those who actually have a keen interest in it, in which case they should make a living to support themselves but nothing else.

I am FOR big government, but I do think public sector employees having it too good is a problem in our government.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:03 AM

4,879 posts, read 3,895,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I never hear the Republicans calling for pay increases for government employees during the "good times" when private sector employees are paid far more. Why should government employment be a vow of poverty and paid in glorious sunsets instead of cash and a decent retirement? In this economy the governments, Federal, State and Local, should be hiring more employees instead of cutting back. A decent paying government job is a better way of supporting the economy than short term infrastructure contracts.

There is no reason to call for it. They already get raises during good times.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:53 AM

16,775 posts, read 14,426,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
In a perfect world:

We ditch the draconian civil service program, eliminate the dead weight and the incompetent and pay top dollar to those left standing.
No. Ditch the bloated government contracting machine! Why do our tax dollars pay the outrageous fees and salaries to the private sector to do what we are ostensibly paying the public sector to do? Read up on the gravy train these contractors are on...it is appalling. And I used to be one.

Last edited by zentropa; 10-20-2010 at 05:01 AM..

Old 10-20-2010, 04:00 AM

5,230 posts, read 7,488,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I never hear the Republicans calling for pay increases for government employees during the "good times" when private sector employees are paid far more. Why should government employment be a vow of poverty and paid in glorious sunsets instead of cash and a decent retirement? In this economy the governments, Federal, State and Local, should be hiring more employees instead of cutting back. A decent paying government job is a better way of supporting the economy than short term infrastructure contracts.

With all due respect thats pretty absurd. When a private sector corporation or company is losing money it cuts back & lays off, there are repurcussions for running it irresponsibly and when theres no money, well, theres no money. Our Govt, were it run responsibly would do the same. How can a decent paying govt job help the economy when it actually generates no capitol & is actually a drain on the economy?
Every single federal employee at the moment is being paid from empty coffers with money borrowed from us, the taxpayers. Its a grand scam the way these folks spend everything then just take more from us and act as its business as usual. The Democrat/Liberal policies will suck us dry until there is no choice but to start over. Sad this level of blind disregard for reality.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:09 AM

5,230 posts, read 7,488,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
I work as a meteorologist for the Natl Weather Service (federal govt). I would love to cut out the waste first and I would be more than willing to take a 2 yr pay freeze if it would help. But I am afraid the money saved would go to something else.

For example....when our office needs paper or other misc office supplies why can't we go down the nearest office supply store and get them? Instead we must buy from a GSA approved place hundreds of miles away with a mark up of 100 percent.

But I would say we all wish the answer to the feds problems were as simple as taken a pay freeze or cut...but unfortunately there are so many hands in the pot.
I do agree in a way. I dont think a pay cut would do it. We need to whittle down on personnel & unnecessary agencies etc.

There are many many ways we could save much money, but it would cost jobs & that sounds scary. Whats scary to me as a tax payer is that I need to fund these jobs even though mine is gone. We need to run the country as if it were a business & if theres no money theres no paycheck & no job, end of story. If thats unacceptable then look to your Govt & ask why theres no money, demand financial responsibility. Let wealthy politicians buy their own security, let all federal employees buy their own health care & fund their own pensions. Stop lifelong pay & bennies for all elected officials, have them provide ther own transportation, if their wives feel the need for offices & staff have them pay for it.

Nothing in the private sector is remotely comprable to the travesty that has become govt in the USA. What was meant to be a group of dedicated people helping its nation has become a society of blood suckers that will get theirs while the rest of us suffer.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:23 AM

10,110 posts, read 12,328,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Any federal employee hired after 1989 has a pension that is hardly "generous". The pension formula is 1% of the average top 3 earning year salaries, multiplied by the number of years employed. So, for example, an employee earning $80,000 annually who worked 30 years, their pension would be $800 (1% of 80,000) X 30 (years employed) = $24,000 annually or, $2000 a month before taxes.

Hardly a lot to live on these days
Better than what I get from social security where I have to work 40 plus years before I get anything.

Cut the federal budget by 50%.

Yep, bring all troops home, close the departments of education, homeland security, health and human services (or whatever it is called these days) and energy for for starters. Mothball the pentagon and all who work there along with half the naval fleet which we do not need.

Trashcan OSHA (it should be a state matter) and the EPA who brought us the hoax of global warming/cooling or whatever.

Remove wage caps on social security.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:33 AM

4,686 posts, read 5,518,013 times
Is the federal government the "right size"? Probably not. And it's probably never the right size. But there were more federal employees - in all three branches, the Post Office, and the military - at any time during the '60s, '70s, and '80's than there are right now.

Do federal workers get paid too much? In individual cases, sure. Across the board - absolutely not. For a little background, see: Federal Employees Pay Comparability Act of 1990. This was put into place because federal pay was falling behind that of the private sector for comparable jobs, and as a result, the federal government had trouble recruiting qualified individuals.

Ironically, this law has never been fully implemented, as it gives the President the authority to propose smaller (or no) increases due national emergencies or bad economic conditions. The President - no matter who it was/is - usually proposes a modest increase (if any), and Congress bumps it up.

It's not like federal employees can bargain for higher wages, or go on strike for higher wages - they can't. What they are paid is up to Congress.

In good economic times, people who apply for and are hired for federal jobs are often looked at as idiots ... "why in the world would you want to work for Uncle Sam when you can do so much better in private industry?" In good economic times, you rarely hear any complaints about federal salaries.

In bad economic times, people who apply for and are hired for federal jobs are often looked at with a combination of envy and disgust. In bad economic times, federal employees provide an easy target for the venting people seem to need to do to feel better about themselves.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:53 AM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,063,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
In bad economic times, federal employees provide an easy target for the venting people seem to need to do to feel better about themselves.
Interesting comment eerily reminiscent of why we "bitterly cling to our guns and our religion", and can't "think clearly because we're scared" as our wondrous leader has so profoundly observed.

In the 1980s the disparity between public and private retirement benefits was far less significant than today. I have no problem with the government paying competitive salaries if retirement benefits are also comparable to today's private sector. Compensation comparisons of course should also reflect other benefits as well as the private sector worker's far greater risk of job loss in bad economic times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies