U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2010, 11:04 AM

35,322 posts, read 19,340,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
What did she say that was actually wrong?

et tu?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 11:24 AM

3,277 posts, read 4,619,847 times
Quote:
What did she say that was actually wrong?
It's beyond arguing about the scope of the Establishment Clause, this woman didn't even know that there was an Establishment Clause!

Quote:
When Coons responded that the First Amendment bars Congress from making laws respecting the establishment of religion, O'Donnell asked: "You're telling me that's in the First Amendment?"
The reaction of the students there says it louder than I ever could.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:37 AM

6,486 posts, read 5,691,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
It's beyond arguing about the scope of the Establishment Clause, this woman didn't even know that there was an Establishment Clause!

The reaction of the students there says it louder than I ever could.
Taken in context, her argument was that the establishment clause says nothing about separation of church and state.

of course, it's easier to just laugh at someone and make fun of them when you can't actually argue the point, isn't it?

Old 10-20-2010, 11:53 AM

3,277 posts, read 4,619,847 times
Quote:
Taken in context, her argument was that the establishment clause says nothing about separation of church and state.

of course, it's easier to just laugh at someone and make fun of them when you can't actually argue the point, isn't it?
He quotes the Establishment Clause verbatim and her reply is "That's in the 1st amendment?".

Watch from 7:07 on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miwSljJAzqg

On top of that, she even says that schools should be able to decide whether or not to teach Evolution! As though they can decide whether or not to teach General Relativity or gravity.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:35 PM

6,486 posts, read 5,691,046 times
Quote:
He quotes the Establishment Clause verbatim and her reply is "That's in the 1st amendment?".

On top of that, she even says that schools should be able to decide whether or not to teach Evolution! As though they can decide whether or not to teach General Relativity or gravity.
I can't watch it now...from what I remember I thought they had a back and forth going...and I took her response to be about the separation in general.

I do agree with her regarding the schools being able to choose what they want to teach.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:37 PM

14,920 posts, read 11,182,823 times
Quote:
I do agree with her regarding the schools being able to choose what they want to teach.
Public schools should not be allowed to choose to teach theology. Thank God the majority of the American population and more importantly the Constitution and the Supreme Court agree with me.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:41 PM

5,335 posts, read 6,149,236 times
Quote:

Yeah, I'm sure that no one in the audience at a law school would be capable of arguing that point with her.

Personally, my favorite bit is, during the laughter at her performance, someone says, "see, I told you!"

Old 10-20-2010, 12:47 PM

6,396 posts, read 4,414,042 times
Default She is right

Quote:

There is no clause in the first amendment that requires seperation of church and state.

Additionally, schools are a state issue and what they teach is a state issue. The federal Government has no say in the matter.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:51 PM

888 posts, read 1,040,818 times
Sure, lets have Public Schools teach.....Creationism!!
30 minutes a day of watching.....The Flintstones!!

Yaba....Daba....Dooooooooooooooooo................ ............

Freakin' AMAZING!!??

Steve

Old 10-20-2010, 12:58 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,918,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhound View Post
Sure, lets have Public Schools teach.....Creationism!!
30 minutes a day of watching.....The Flintstones!!

Yaba....Daba....Dooooooooooooooooo................ ............

Freakin' AMAZING!!??

Steve
I don't see anything wrong with teaching creationism so long as it is posed as a theory just as the Big Bang theory is taught. What are you afraid of here? It doesn't have to be taught from a relious pov. Just like one can teach the Muslim religion within its historical context, one can teach Christianity in the same way.

The only people that wish to ban ideas are the ones who are afraid they may take root and differ with what they see as the almighty truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies