U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2010, 08:41 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,420,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
exactly. O'Donnel's level of crazy may work in certain parts of the country (look at Inhofe in Oklahoma), but it sure as hell is not going to work in Delaware.

O'Donnell has probably looked long and hard at Sarah Palin's rise to pseudo stardom and considered herself capable of doing the same.

What she fails to see, is that Palin is a political anomaly, whose primary interest is to further her own persona at any cost. She's confused the
ethic of winning love or admiration from the people, for just plain, attention. I really don't think that she is either grounded in, or destined for,
a successful political career, I mean, would you send her to market with the cow, without expecting her to come home with magic beans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 08:47 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,634,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post

O'Donnell has probably looked long and hard at Sarah Palin's rise to pseudo stardom and considered herself capable of doing the same.

What she fails to see, is that Palin is a political anomaly, whose primary interest is to further her own persona at any cost. She's confused the
ethic of winning love or admiration from the people, for just plain, attention. I really don't think that she is either grounded in, or destined for,
a successful political career, I mean, would you send her to market with the cow, without expecting her to come home with magic beans?
Well, Sarah was nominated for VP by John McCain and voted on by the RNC. Prior to that time, hardly anyone outside of Alaska had ever heard of her. Christine, OTOH, rose to national notoriety very quickly, b/c of her Tea Party associations and support. Thus, she's being looked at a little harder than Sarah was at the time of her nomination to VP candidate.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:49 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,634,943 times
Here is a list of some creation stories. Tell me which ones are "religion neutral".

Mods please note: this is a non-copyright source.

Creation Stories

No. Story Land or People Page in print edition

Title Page of the print version i

Preface iv

1 The Four Creations Hopi 1
2 Odin and Ymir Norse 4
3 The Separation of Heaven and Earth Maori 6
4 The Story of Corn and Medicine Cherokee 8
5 The Origin of Japan and Her People Japan 11
6 Death, and Life and Death Kono 14
7 The Creation and the Emergence Jicarilla Apache 16
8 Creation by and of the Self India 20
9 Marduk Creates the World from the Spoils of Battle Babylonia 21
10 The Golden Chain Yoruba 23
11 The Menominee and Manabush Menominee 25
12 The Naba Zid-Wend Mossi 27
13 Pan Gu and N Wa China 29
14 Yahweh Hebrew 31
15 The Elohim Hebrew 33
16 A Potawatomi Story Potawatomi 35
17 Birth in the Dawn Hawaii 37
18 Life from Moon and the Stars Wakaranga 39
19 Two Brothers and their Grandmother Seneca 40
20 The Moon and the Morning Star Wichita 42

Afterword: Chief Seattle's Speech Dwamish 44

Summation 46

Note on page iii of the print edition: This book is not copyrighted by the author
and may be freely reproduced, so long as it is not copyrighted by those who reproduce it,
and so long as it is not sold for more than the cost of reproducing and binding.
The author receives no money from the sale of this book.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:55 PM

69,372 posts, read 55,515,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Wheee! This just gets funnier and funnier... Thank you, Delaware Tea Party voters, for providing us with such quality entertainment!
The states supported numerous churches when the Constitution was written.

I assure you I get much more entertainment from those who believe there is a separation of Church and State in the Constitution.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:19 PM

25 posts, read 25,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

I assure you I get much more entertainment from those who believe there is a separation of Church and State in the Constitution.

Your version of events at the time of the writing of the Constitution may be accurate, but that's only because at that time, the Bill of Rights [including the establishment clause of the 1st Amendment] only applied to the federal government, not to the state governments. After the Civil War, the 14th Amendment was passed, which made the Bill of Rights applicable to the states, as well. So whether or not the states supported numerous churches at the time of the writing of the Constitution has subsequently been made irrelevent by the adoption of the 14th Amendment.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:18 PM

13,989 posts, read 10,932,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

Yes, there were state churches, but those have been long gone. The 1947 Supreme Court case of Everson v Board of Education put the nail in the coffin in that one, using the 14th Amendment as a basis to argue that it incorporates the 1st Amendment's Establishment clause also applies to the states. Of course, pretty much all states churches had long gone the way of the dinosaur by then anyway. So your point is rather antiquated and irrelevant. But it is entertaining.

As I said before, if congress makes no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof, then by definition, the state stays out of the business of religion. It means that: (1) private religious beliefs and organizations are exempt from attempted government control, and (2) that the government does not attempt to promote or enforce particular religious doctrines. That is effectively the separation of church and state.

The Supreme Court has upheld this Constitutional interpretation numerous times, as have numerous Constitutional scholars throughout history, and for good reason. You're part of a very small, peculiar minority that insists that the (Christian) church and state should somehow not be separated under the Constitution.

Last edited by ambient; 10-20-2010 at 10:27 PM..

Old 10-20-2010, 10:29 PM

11,961 posts, read 12,847,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
If only we could dismiss these folks as purely entertainment.
It's served America well to find empathy for GOP having to manage so many village idiots. DNC has their own brand of village idiots but they've gotten more press coverage. Now it's milquetoast whitey's turn to show his/ her behind.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:00 AM

3,277 posts, read 4,616,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
There is no clause in the first amendment that requires seperation of church and state.

Additionally, schools are a state issue and what they teach is a state issue. The federal Government has no say in the matter.
There is however an establishment clause, which was apparently either news to O'Donnel or she thought it was in the 33rd Amendment.

No one has questioned that the federal government doesn't decide curriculum. But no matter how much state's rights pandering you do, it's absolutely absurd to say that states should be able to direct schools not to teach fundamental science in science classes.

Well, unless you want more Christine O'Donnels. In which case I can understand your reasoning.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:03 AM

3,277 posts, read 4,616,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
I don't see anything wrong with teaching creationism so long as it is posed as a theory just as the Big Bang theory is taught. What are you afraid of here? It doesn't have to be taught from a relious pov. Just like one can teach the Muslim religion within its historical context, one can teach Christianity in the same way.

The only people that wish to ban ideas are the ones who are afraid they may take root and differ with what they see as the almighty truth.
To put the Big Bang, which is backed by countless physics and mathematical models and ceationism, which is backed by various stories told all over the world by people who lived prior to the invention of education which in many cases have nothing to do with one another, shows that you don't have a clue what a "theory" is and why creationism could never be one.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:31 AM

6,396 posts, read 4,409,268 times
Default Laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It's what happened. It's history. New Jersey as a colony did have laws against Catholicism. Massachusetts did hang Quakers. Is that REAL enough for you?
Ans it's legal for people in california to have medical marijuana, but the feds don't go arresting them even though it's still a federal crime, so what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies