U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-21-2010, 10:24 AM
 
32,510 posts, read 26,406,003 times
Reputation: 19161

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
If the government can't do anything promoting (respecting an establishment of) or prohibiting religion, then how is that not keeping government and religion separate?

The first amendment may not use the exact phrase, but that's what it means. It amazes me how many people keep saying "she's right". I guess those people don't understand that in the English language, one meaning can be expressed in different ways.
the only thing the first amendment does is prevent the government from forcing everyone to worship the same way, and the same deity. it is a separation of government from religion, but not the other way around. perhaps it should be it separates government regulation from religion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
True. There is no proof that the big bang ever happened. People would rather think that they came from monkeys, that came from fish, that came from a single cell creature, sounds more realistic, than being created. Because we all know that explosions create beautiful things.....wait a minute, explosions blow up things, not create
actually there is proof the big bang happened. so far we have been able to see back as far as 13 trillion years, remember that every thing we see in the night sky is actually very old, and a telescope is in essence a time machine, to the aftermath of the big bang. beyond that is at this point conjecture based on all the evidence gathered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-21-2010, 10:31 AM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,358 posts, read 7,760,360 times
Reputation: 7213
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the only thing the first amendment does is prevent the government from forcing everyone to worship the same way, and the same deity. it is a separation of government from religion, but not the other way around. perhaps it should be it separates government regulation from religion.
That's ridiculous. If the first amendment is a separation of government fromreligion then it has to follow that there must be a separation of religion from government as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2010, 10:57 AM
Status: "Summer!" (set 28 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,035 posts, read 102,723,474 times
Reputation: 33084
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the only thing the first amendment does is prevent the government from forcing everyone to worship the same way, and the same deity. it is a separation of government from religion, but not the other way around. perhaps it should be it separates government regulation from religion.
Which includes school children not being taught the creation stories of one particular religion as fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2010, 11:05 AM
 
3,277 posts, read 4,619,847 times
Reputation: 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
True. There is no proof that the big bang ever happened. People would rather think that they came from monkeys, that came from fish, that came from a single cell creature, sounds more realistic, than being created. Because we all know that explosions create beautiful things.....wait a minute, explosions blow up things, not create
The Big Bang wasn't an actual explosion...in fact the term "Big Bang" is tongue in cheek...

I would respect you people coming in here talking about science a lot more if you actually had an understanding of science beyond the middle school level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2010, 11:07 AM
 
3,277 posts, read 4,619,847 times
Reputation: 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

actually there is proof the big bang happened. so far we have been able to see back as far as 13 trillion years, remember that every thing we see in the night sky is actually very old, and a telescope is in essence a time machine, to the aftermath of the big bang. beyond that is at this point conjecture based on all the evidence gathered.
Furthermore we can see that everything in the universe that was once closer together is moving further apart, suggesting a steady expansion from one point in time. These things which are facts are what support the Big Bang Theory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2010, 12:41 PM
 
16,437 posts, read 19,160,728 times
Reputation: 9520
Science can't even decide if coffee is good for us or not.

At about the same time as an unknown physicist named Einstein was developing his theory of relativity, the top established scientists of the day were flatly saying that man couldn't survive a speed above sixty miles an hour. Much of science today will be seen as ridiculous in the future. Why do you cling to it so earnestly? It's built on sand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2010, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Long Island (chief in S Farmingdale)
19,046 posts, read 15,508,400 times
Reputation: 3960
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Another victim of home schooling or worse...

Big Bang Theory - Common Misconceptions
There are many misconceptions surrounding the Big Bang theory. For example, we tend to imagine a giant explosion. Experts however say that there was no explosion; there was (and continues to be) an expansion. Rather than imagining a balloon popping and releasing its contents, imagine a balloon expanding: an infinitesimally small balloon expanding to the size of our current universe.


Big Bang Theory
Exactly, and people wonder why the U.S lags far behind in Science....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2010, 12:49 PM
 
40,169 posts, read 24,404,342 times
Reputation: 12670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Science can't even decide if coffee is good for us or not.

At about the same time as an unknown physicist named Einstein was developing his theory of relativity, the top established scientists of the day were flatly saying that man couldn't survive a speed above sixty miles an hour. Much of science today will be seen as ridiculous in the future. Why do you cling to it so earnestly? It's built on sand.
It's not built on sand. It's built on rigorous rules. Science doesn't "decide" if coffee is good for us. Science identifies the ways coffee may be beneficial, and the ways it may be detrimental. Scientific theories must be discarded when evidence shows they are false. It's not a matter of faith.

And millions of scientists around the world also demonstrate that they can have faith in a religion and pursue science at the same time. It's not an either/or proposition. You can have science and religion at the same time. You just shouldn't confuse religion with science. Because they are not the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2010, 04:11 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
4,147 posts, read 9,334,376 times
Reputation: 3308
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
O'Donnell questions separation of church, state - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101019/ap_on_el_se/us_delaware_senate - broken link)


Wheee! This just gets funnier and funnier... Thank you, Delaware Tea Party voters, for providing us with such quality entertainment!

I'm cool with Obama's folks being voted out and opposing ideas being voted in, but next time...can we at least pick some half-way intelligent people? Is that too much to ask?
How cute and original. Another lefty spouting off about the "separation of Church and state". An idea that doesn't exist in the Constitution. Anywhere.

We cannot ESTABLISH a state religion like many middle eastern countries have done. You're very welcome to practice any religion you wish in this country without being persecuted.

We CAN talk about them and worship freely though.

Instead of getting your "education" from your leftist friends and websites, try educating yourself by reading the actual document.

Should it be taught in schools? Honestly, probably not. Nor should Darwinism, as there's just as much scientific proof of that as creationism. They're both beliefs and that should be up to one to discover for themselves.

Please try to refrain from acting high and mighty when you actually don't have any idea what you're talking about. Doesn't make you look very intelligent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2010, 06:26 PM
 
Location: San Francisco, CA
13,994 posts, read 10,947,044 times
Reputation: 12785
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
How cute and original. Another lefty spouting off about the "separation of Church and state". An idea that doesn't exist in the Constitution. Anywhere.

We cannot ESTABLISH a state religion like many middle eastern countries have done. You're very welcome to practice any religion you wish in this country without being persecuted.

We CAN talk about them and worship freely though.

Instead of getting your "education" from your leftist friends and websites, try educating yourself by reading the actual document.

Should it be taught in schools? Honestly, probably not. Nor should Darwinism, as there's just as much scientific proof of that as creationism. They're both beliefs and that should be up to one to discover for themselves.

Please try to refrain from acting high and mighty when you actually don't have any idea what you're talking about. Doesn't make you look very intelligent.
I know what I'm talking about. And I can tell you for damn sure that the First Amendment provides for effective separation of Church and State. If Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof, it follows that government policy and religious doctrine must remain separate for the benefit of both. And I can tell you that the Supreme Court over the past 50 years has agreed with this. Also, the issue is question is not your straw man about religious freedom; no one is stopping anyone from doing that. Its' about promoting policy at the state or local level to promote specific religious doctrine - i.e., Creationism - as "scientific theory" in public schools. And that can't be done, no matter what you say.

And Christine "that's in the Constitution?" O'Donnell is still wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:26 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top