U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-19-2010, 02:37 PM
 
1,476 posts, read 1,744,035 times
Reputation: 703

Advertisements

County welfare workers removed a three day old newborn infant from her mother's arms when a drug test done at the hospital during the birth turned out positive for heroin. Turns out it was a false read caused by the mom having eaten a poppyseed bagel right before delivery. The ACLU has been called in and this is one of the very few times I am in agreement with the ACLU. I do not think the government has any right to routinely drugtest new moms and remove a newborn from their home. ( I think it was done without her knowledge and without any specific suspected need for one such as prior history of drug use.) This is a case of the government overstepping their bounds. I thought in our country, people are presumed innocent unless proven otherwise. Anyone think the government was right to do this and if so, why?

Pa. mom: Poppy seeds made me fail drug test, lose my kid | News Bizarre | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/bizarre/7246683.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-19-2010, 02:39 PM
 
Location: Tyler, TX
15,202 posts, read 18,263,970 times
Reputation: 8032
When it comes to kids and property seizures, you're guilty until proven innocent. I don't understand how these laws have been permitted to stand in light of their blatant unconstitutionality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2010, 02:40 PM
 
14,920 posts, read 11,171,064 times
Reputation: 4828
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
County welfare workers removed a three day old newborn infant from her mother's arms when a drug test done at the hospital during the birth turned out positive for heroin. Turns out it was a false read caused by the mom having eaten a poppyseed bagel right before delivery. The ACLU has been called in and this is one of the very few times I am in agreement with the ACLU. I do not think the government has any right to routinely drugtest new moms and remove a newborn from their home. ( I think it was done without her knowledge and without any specific suspected need for one such as prior history of drug use.) This is a case of the government overstepping their bounds. I thought in our country, people are presumed innocent unless proven otherwise. Anyone think the government was right to do this and if so, why?

Pa. mom: Poppy seeds made me fail drug test, lose my kid | News Bizarre | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/bizarre/7246683.html - broken link)
I agree 100% with you and the ACLU (which if you actually looked into the cases they take and why they take them I think you'd agree with them much more than you realize)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2010, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Land of Thought and Flow
8,323 posts, read 13,504,239 times
Reputation: 4884
Well, I don't exactly see a problem with hospitals doing drug tests on mothers. It's better to be prepared for the birth of a crack-addicted baby than to have the mother give birth and be completely unprepared. They check for all manners of other things before delivery, why not a drug test?

Though, CPS should have rechecked the results before snatching up the child. They acted too rashly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2010, 03:09 PM
 
2,671 posts, read 2,804,407 times
Reputation: 1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Well, I don't exactly see a problem with hospitals doing drug tests on mothers. It's better to be prepared for the birth of a crack-addicted baby than to have the mother give birth and be completely unprepared. They check for all manners of other things before delivery, why not a drug test?

Though, CPS should have rechecked the results before snatching up the child. They acted too rashly.
Nope, disagree. I also disagree with random drug testing on the job. Why? I think it's because people are making big $$$$$$$ off of it. Laboratories get contracts to test. What's the point?

If someone appears to be a drug user then test them; otherwise leave them alone.

So why did they test this woman? The idiots at that hospital would have know prior to the birth if she was a heroin addict. Almost all women have pre-natal care. so what was the reason given to test this woman? And then it was a false-positive. Sue them!! Sue the heck out of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2010, 03:17 PM
 
Location: Southeast
4,296 posts, read 6,274,049 times
Reputation: 1445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
Nope, disagree. I also disagree with random drug testing on the job. Why? I think it's because people are making big $$$$$$$ off of it. Laboratories get contracts to test. What's the point?
Nobody wastes their time with labs. There is a cup you urinate in with a special gauge on the side that reacts with specific drugs traces in the sample. You tear off the tab and if it comes out fine, no problems. Cups are a few dollars each and only take as much effort as removing the plastic cover.

And yes, I just took one less than a month ago. I think it is called iCup or something like that.

Back on topic though, I agree with Rita. But I also believe doctor-patient confidentiality applies and the mother should not face criminal charges or otherwise for a positive test - it is only in the best interest of the baby so any potential complications can be taken care of. Even so I would hope a responsible mother would disclose that information without the need for a test. The ACLU is right on this one.

Last edited by Frankie117; 10-19-2010 at 03:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2010, 03:24 PM
 
Location: California
11,436 posts, read 17,155,408 times
Reputation: 12500
First why did they do the drug test in the first place? The only time here they do this is if the Mother has a record of drug abuse.
With that aside I've been drug tested at work many times and there has been a time or two when the same thing happened, once it was our manager, he was retested and cleared.
The same situation seems to have happened here, the child was returned, better safe than sorry when a baby is concerned.
Law suits to follow driving up the cost of health care even farther.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2010, 03:28 PM
 
69,372 posts, read 55,515,731 times
Reputation: 9363
I dont see where the boundaries were crossed. They tested positive for drugs.. the law allows the removal. When the test results showed there was an error, they get the children back.

Alternative, you leave kids in a home with heroin.. Dont think so...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2010, 03:46 PM
 
14,920 posts, read 11,171,064 times
Reputation: 4828
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I dont see where the boundaries were crossed. They tested positive for drugs.. the law allows the removal. When the test results showed there was an error, they get the children back.

Alternative, you leave kids in a home with heroin.. Dont think so...
The details are a bit unclear, but it seems they tested the blood of a mother with no history of drug use and without her consent.

Maybe you are, but I'm not comfortable with the government encouraging and then acting upon routine (without reasonable reason), secret medical tests done without permission (or a court order)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2010, 03:52 PM
 
69,372 posts, read 55,515,731 times
Reputation: 9363
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
The details are a bit unclear, but it seems they tested the blood of a mother with no history of drug use and without her consent.

Maybe you are, but I'm not comfortable with the government encouraging and then acting upon secret medical tests done without permission.
The testing of the blood without the mothers concent is a completely different issue than removing the child. I'm willing to bet drawing blood of the child is rather normal during child birth.

This is no difference than someone making an accusation that you molested your child. They take the child, then resolve the issue in court. I dont have to like "guilty until innocent" methods but we've been operating on that for quite some time.

Domestic abuse, child abuse, are two examples of guilty until innocent in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:41 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top