Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 09:29 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,560,835 times

Advertisements

I guess being gay is a choice. A choice you made so you can live in pain and end your life in suicide. You "chose" this, Corey Jackson.

Details are unfolding as it was discovered a student killed himself at my local university. Oakland University in Rochester, Michigan will reveal some more. He ended his life today on campus.

I am so sorry it had to come down to this, Jackson. You're in my thoughts. I will be at your vigil tomorrow night and think of all the hardships gays and lesbians have to go through.

It hits hard when it happens near you.....

Old 10-19-2010, 09:45 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,824,728 times
Being gay may not be a choice but committing suicide is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 09:51 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,839,728 times
So if someone is indeed born a homosexual and they choose to kill themselves is that a self inflicted hate crime?

Old 10-19-2010, 09:55 PM

45,150 posts, read 26,345,611 times
90% of suicides are the result of a mental illness.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:56 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,871,425 times
Why honor someone who commits suicide? Aside from murder, suicide is the ultimate act of selfishness.
TLV, if this was a friend of yours I am sorry for your loss. However, suicide should not be honored nor glamorized. The university should do an outreach to other students and remind them that there are resources for them rather than making a permanent exit from a temporary problem.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:19 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,990,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
ultimate act of selfishness.
So now depression is the result of selfishness. OoooKay!

Old 10-19-2010, 10:39 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,541,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I guess being gay is a choice. A choice you made so you can live in pain and end your life in suicide. You "chose" this, Corey Jackson.

Details are unfolding as it was discovered a student killed himself at my local university. Oakland University in Rochester, Michigan will reveal some more. He ended his life today on campus.

I am so sorry it had to come down to this, Jackson. You're in my thoughts. I will be at your vigil tomorrow night and think of all the hardships gays and lesbians have to go through.

Quote:
HRC - Too many young lives have been lost because of anti-gay bullying. LGBT youth need to know they're not alone, and that things do get better. Wear purple on October 20 to remember those we've lost and reiterate your support for a world where diversity is embraced, not ridiculed.
HRC | Human Rights Campaign | Home

Old 10-19-2010, 10:44 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,871,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
So now depression is the result of selfishness. OoooKay!
I clearly stated suicide, not depression. Of course, accuracy has never been a strong point, only twisting the words of others.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:30 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,560,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Being gay may not be a choice but committing suicide is.
I agree. He shouldn't have....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
So if someone is indeed born a homosexual and they choose to kill themselves is that a self inflicted hate crime?
Nice try. Hope people show you more sympathy if anything happens to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Why honor someone who commits suicide? Aside from murder, suicide is the ultimate act of selfishness.
TLV, if this was a friend of yours I am sorry for your loss. However, suicide should not be honored nor glamorized. The university should do an outreach to other students and remind them that there are resources for them rather than making a permanent exit from a temporary problem.
I agree. It was selfish. He is not glamorized. The vigil is for him and gay rights and marriage. I will be very proud to go there and show my support for gays and lesbians.

And yes, from what I hear, the university has a really good GSA there. But not everyone can be helped. I feel horrible about his suicide. It is harder when it is someone local.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:06 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,701,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post

So people are born gay, and that also leads to suicide?

I don't know if it is a choice... but, being gay is nothing to celebrate All of the gay rights parades, the entire gay rights agenda has veered way off track. We should be tolerant of all people for sure. Bullying, namecalling, etc. is not called for. But the gays want it all. They want to act gay, but be accepted. They choose to call attention to their differences, but then they claim it is normal to be gay.
being gay is not morally right, and it is not cool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies