Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2010, 10:08 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadia_NY2010 View Post
Calipoppy,

You are correct when you stated that many non blacks have been taught (and become comfortable) with the notion that blacks are supposed to be on the bottom. Recognize however that it is not the black person's role to educate them or to serve as the shining model minority.

I recently spoke with a friend about this very topic. I've noticed over the years that this particular African American female attorney displays relatively little emotion or empathy in the workplace. If I only knew her in professional settings, I would actually think that she was a sociopath. She's very cold, rarely smiles and always seems to be strategizing her next move.

Her advice was simply, 'treat them as they treat you.' When they inquire about your education, inquire about theirs, when they stare at you, stare back at them. When they question your experience, return the favor in kind. When a waiter is rude or doesn't service you appropriately, get up and leave. When a cab driver inquires about your income, ask about his.

-Very sound advice indeed...
I agree with the waiter being rude, or the cab driver, etc, treating them as they treated you, leave the restaraunt, whatever, but for other people... Treating them as they treat you smacks of 2 wrongs don't make a right. When you show hostility in the face of prejudice or bias, you simply re-enforce their preconceived notions.. (So i was at work and I met this xxx and she was al hostile. I tried to be nice and ask xxx and she asked me the same question). You and I both realize that their question was inane, stupid, or whatever. But being nasty in response to their ill conceived attempt at communication isn't the answer, and will do nothing to change their way of seeing things.

I know it isn't right, and I know it's not your job, but let me put it this way.

When I was station on board submarines, I was normally the ONLY person of my religion on board. My holidays were difficult to observe, because they weren't christmas or easter, or whatever. I was always told however, when i was asked about MY holidays, or why I didn't celebrate christmas, or what my holiday meant, etc etc, to took the time to explain. I understood, they didn't know. I was the person who was there, i was the person who could answer their questions, and I was the representative whom they would base their expectations of others, of my religion on. I was the representative of MY faith, and how I dealt with them would for them be representative of how others would be also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 10:23 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadia_NY2010 View Post
Your 'beliefs' are part of the problem. The majority of black American men and women -contrary to popular belief are not impoverished. The Zionist-media constantly perpetuates this myth (through their manipulated statistics), but it is simply untrue, when one looks at the data conducted by those who do not have a vested interest in perpetuating divisiveness. The FACT is, you aren't exposed to many educated or hard working blacks on a regular basis. Just because you haven't been exposed to educated blacks does not mean that it's a rare occurrence. Open up your mind; stop believing everything that is fed to you through the mass media. You have been programmed like much of the population to believe and uphold white supremacy (as well as other ideas, which I won't get into).

Next point, I rarely have a problem with other blacks; since the majority that I encounter treat me according to how I treat them. I tend to respect people, when they show me respect. Generally speaking, I have a great deal of admiration for people from all walks of life who have a high ethical/moral compass; irrespective of race and class.

Last point, you have access to the internet, why not simply research Harlem? If you used your mind (instead of relying on baseless stereotypes), you'd understand that Harlem has a population of whites. They are able to walk freely throughout the neighborhood. I know this because I lived in Harlem, while attending grad school. Therefore, I'm speaking from firsthand knowledge. I rented a lovely brownstone apartment on a beautiful tree lined street, owned by a black family. I have many good memories of Harlem. I recall studying really late at the library on many occassions, and taking the 3 train to Harlem around 1am, at least two nights out the week. Guess what, I never had to worry about safely arriving at my apartment. There were always people in the 'community' watching out for others. That's what I recall most about Harlem.

Harlem has always had a sizable number of black professionals. Strivers Row, Mount Morris Park, and several other neighborhoods, are viewed as well-to-do black areas, known for their multi-million dollar brownstone buildings. Your ignorance is very apparent. Again, stop regurgitating the lies that have been fed to you. Open up your mind, and take a trip to the area. If you ever do, you will see whites walking around carefree for the most part. This is not to say that all parts of Harlem are great, but there are several safe well established areas. Unfortunately, whites and (others) who lack the ability to research an area, will continue to perpetuate the belief that Harlem is simply one big ghetto (with unruly blacks). They have no interest or ability to comprehend the versatility of the neighborhood.

In truth, I'm tired of educating whites. Read a book, research and Learn. Take the initiative; stop relying on other people to awaken you from your perpetual ignorance. --But I understand your reluctance, ignorance is bliss, right?
Why such hostility? It's become apparent why you get stares and unfriendly treatment. You will get whatever you put out there, and it's clear now what you're putting out there!

I know what Harlem is all about. I've had personal experiences there, including a girlfriend who thought she'd prove her politically correct notions and go visit there -- it didn't go well for her. If fewer whites actually get attacked in Harlem than blacks in Bensonhurts, it's only because most whites have the sense enough not to go there in the first place. Don't try to convince people of lies. Harlem IS dangerous, as is patently obvious to anyone who even scrapes the surface of research into it.

It is so ironic that you want to completely dismiss the notion of black crime, black racism, black negative attitudes toward whites ("it doesn't exist and if you think it does, you're ignorant!) while at the same time you yourself put forward an attitude of hatred, contempt, name-calling "Zionist media" -- would it be okay to say "n!gger media?" I doubt it, right? and every other imaginable attck on white society that you can cram into one post. YOU ARE THE PROBLEM. No wonder it's affecting your health! You are full of hatred and I would think, some amount of self-loathing. Stop thinking the worst of people. Educate yourself and you might find a lot of nice white people out there who mean you no harm. Can you say the same for yourself?

Last edited by chattypatty; 10-21-2010 at 10:33 AM..

Old 10-21-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
What astonishes me is that soooooooooooo many whites express fear about venturing to places like Harlem. Yet there have been many more incidences of blacks being assaulted and worse in places like Bensonhurst and Howard Beach. Why do you suppose that is?
Because fewer white stroll over into Harlem and more blacks wander over into Bensonhurst. I don't for a minute believe that the gangmembers who roam the streets of Harlem or other bad areas are just nicer folks than the thugs in Bensonhurst. Do you? Honestly?

Old 10-21-2010, 10:50 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Why such hostility? It's become apparent why you get stares and unfriendly treatment. You will get whatever you put out there, and it's clear now what you're putting out there!
I had a feeling that it was only a matter of time before things descended from the usual "but x people do bad things to" red herring to full on victim blaming. As I said, I doubt these strange people are giving her funny treatment because of what she posts on CDF.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
I had a feeling that it was only a matter of time before things descended from the usual "but x people do bad things to" red herring to full on victim blaming. As I said, I doubt these strange people are giving her funny treatment because of what she posts on CDF.

Your response is illogical. No one is saying that her posts on CDF are what make the people she encounters treat her a certain way -- what is clear is that she has an attitude which is being expressed in writing here and in person there -- the SAME attitude. She's not a nice person, clearly. And she's not honest either. She started out with a post asking for understanding and support, when what she really intended to do was malign white society and pounce on every white poster who didn't respond with "oh, poor baby! whitey so bad!"

It gets old, it really does. At first I believed her account of things but now I have to wonder if even a shred of it is true.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:31 AM

956 posts, read 1,114,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post

Same old I am black victim post that we have seen on here a thousand times.
Yes, because it's the OP's fault that she is getting patronized by her coworkers? Once again, the same naive "racism doesn't exist, quit playing the victim" post which we have seen on here a thousand times.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:35 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
Yes, because it's the OP's fault that she is getting patronized by her coworkers? Once again, the same naive "racism doesn't exist, quit playing the victim" post which we have seen on here a thousand times.
Is she black? YES
Is she portraying herself as victim by perceived racist? YES

End of story!

Old 10-21-2010, 11:39 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
No amount of laws or rules can make people like you.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:48 AM

956 posts, read 1,114,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
Is she black? YES
Is she portraying herself as victim by perceived racist? YES

End of story!
She is telling things as they are, if it makes her a victim for speaking her mind on what she deals with everyday then so be it. Get over it.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:55 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
She is telling things as they are, if it makes her a victim for speaking her mind on what she deals with everyday then so be it. Get over it.
IMO, what makes her a victim is giving any thought to these people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies