Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2010, 08:45 AM

783 posts, read 814,731 times

Advertisements

The original declaration of independence did not have the creator mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 08:46 AM

1,496 posts, read 3,384,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Well you can't be as rabidly pro-abortion as he is and believe that a creator gave rights to babies too.

Why do you think pro abortion people call babies a "fetus"? Yet when a person who is pro abortion is going to have a baby, all of a sudden they call their "fetus" a baby throughout full term.

The term "fetus" is merely a code word to ease and wash away the guilt of killing a baby during the term of pregnancy, unless those who are pro abortion would call their "babies" a fetus until it was born. But they don't and therein lies the hypocrisy of their smooth soft soap of justification in the collison of logic.

Now before anyone gets on me for being pro life, yes I am, but I don't force my ideas upon anyone. Want an abortion, be my guest. You live with it not me..I just wish I had the same freedom to do with my body women have with theirs.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
The DOI does mention the creator, so what's the point of arguing what may, or may not, have been included in one of many drafts? It is in the DOI and that's a fact. To try and obfusgate it by pointing to other documents is irrelevant.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I think he is totally right Why would he say something if he thinks it's wrong? The US doesn't have an official religion, so why continue to promote one particular view?

This is a uninformed post. No where in the DOI does it mention a specific religion.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:09 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Who benefits from mentioning the 'creator'?
The people who insist their religion is the truth but can't prove it to be the truth?
Those who believe the United States should be the country that they demand it to be? And deal out their wrath on everyone they don't like?

Old 10-21-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Who benefits from mentioning the 'creator'?
The people who insist their religion is the truth but can't prove it to be the truth?
Those who believe the United States should be the country that they demand it to be? And deal out their wrath on everyone they don't like?

Every American on its soil. It firmly shows that rights don't come from the government but are "endowed by their creator". Read the first two paragraphs....Nowhere in this document does it ever mention "religion".

[CENTER]hen in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
[/quote][/SIZE][/CENTER]

Last edited by brien51; 10-21-2010 at 09:32 AM..

Old 10-21-2010, 10:47 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
This is a uninformed post. No where in the DOI does it mention a specific religion.
Well, indirectly it does. For instance 'creator' obviously excludes polytheistic religions, also those who believe in a creatress, and all those who believe the world was not created by anyone

Old 10-21-2010, 10:56 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
Quote:
The committee consisted of two New England men, John Adams of Massachusetts and Roger Sherman of Connecticut; two men from the Middle Colonies, Benjamin Franklin of Pennsylvania and Robert R. Livingston of New York; and one southerner, Thomas Jefferson of Virginia. In 1823 Jefferson wrote that the other members of the committee "unanimously pressed on myself alone to undertake the draught [sic]. I consented; I drew it; but before I reported it to the committee I communicated it separately to Dr. Franklin and Mr. Adams requesting their corrections. . . I then wrote a fair copy, reported it to the committee, and from them, unaltered to the Congress." (If Jefferson did make a "fair copy," incorporating the changes made by Franklin and Adams, it has not been preserved. It may have been the copy that was amended by the Congress and used for printing, but in any case, it has not survived. Jefferson's rough draft, however, with changes made by Franklin and Adams, as well as Jefferson's own notes of changes by the Congress, is housed at the Library of Congress.)
Declaration of Independence - A History

Old 10-21-2010, 11:15 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
You know, as well as I do, why he keeps doing that little trick.
Because you're a mind-reader? Yeah riiiiight. Nobody knows why except Obama himself.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:39 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Maybe the illusion that gods had something to do with it is important for some people in order to consider certain things special and inalienable. When one regards rights etc. as something merely granted by fellow humans (which they are, of course), they can be challenged and revoked more easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies